are most of your bullies only children?

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
I have a 13 year old boxer and 7 month old Ernie the bulldogge (total "bully"). My 13 year old is unfortunately 13 and I am thinking the end might be near soon:cry:. We have always had two dogs. While Ernie loves Petey the boxer...he is very intense in his play and I have to separate them quite often. I take Ernie to daycare twice a week to get his play fix. I think I am at the point where I would love to just have one dog ...but not sure how bullies do on their own. He is our first. Our boxers have always loved company and have always been happy go lucky dogs that get along with everyone. Ernie is already demonstrating that he is king of the street....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm very sorry your boxer is going to the Rainbow Bridge soon :cry:

You've got plenty of time to recover from such a loss before deciding
on getting another dog. I'd advise waiting and see how you feel later.
It may surprise you. As long as your bully is getting play time w/others
he's fine and some dogs do prefer to be the only ones! GOD bless!!

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree w Carol. Don't rush a decision like that, you need time..hopefully nothing will happen anytime soon tho. I think as long as your bully gets lots of love and attention from you and playtime he will be ok. I think dogs do greave as well so waiting n giving it time really might be a good idea.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have experience with just one bully, I've had single dogs in the past, I had a Jack Russell who passed away almost 3 years ago at the age of 14. Then a year ago we got our two bully puppies, so I don't know what it's like or how they act as an only bully child. In your case you've had two dogs together, and so Ernie has had another dog in his life, but if your boxer passes, then he may miss him, or he may be okay being an only child with all your attention, and if you get another dog, he may be okay with that, but he may not get along with a new dog, and especially a rambunctious puppy with lots of energy, as he is 7 and also a more senior dog himself, but he may be okay with another older dog, there is just never any guarantee that dogs are going to get along, it depends on their personalities, tolerance and temperaments. Any time you are thinking of introducing a new dog into your home with an existing dog, you should have them meet beforehand and see if they are compatible with each other, and if they are going to like each other or be aggressive.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=8590]erniesmom[/MENTION] I can feel your pain. 2 months before we got Harlea our 13yo boxer Remi crossed over the rainbow bridge as he was having seizures and in the early stages of kidney and liver failure. I would have loved for Harlea to meet him as he was the most laid back fur kid we have ever had and he is sorely missed. My case is a bit different in that my family surprised me with Harlea, but while I love her very much I was actually thinking of waiting a bit longer before getting a new baby. However, we do still have our 9yo ridgeback Sasha that will only play with Harlea on her terms.

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Smile Sugar you still have today with your Petey, take it one day at a time and we never know how a bully will act when they have been part of a duo and one of the duo suddenly ducks out but there is a grieving process that not only humans but dogs go through as well because they are so much a part of us and they are attune to our emotions so all you can really do is take it one day at a time and see what happens and go with your instincts but don't do anything rash, give yourselves time to grieve if and when it happens its the cycle of life. Please keep us updated as we keep you in our prayers.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
You've had good advice about waiting, especially since you still have you boxer furbaby! They are wonderful dogs. Dudley is an only child. And Dudley likes it that way. It's always, as we say, ALL ABOUT DUDLEY! He rules the roost. I've often wished I had gotten him a friend when he was a puppy and they could have grown up together...although this is a small townhouse and I'm not sure I would have had enough room for all of the toys for two bullies! Chin up...one day at a time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all I'm so very sorry to hear about your boxer... I have a 9 year old boxer myself, and I know what a sweet & lovable breed that they are :D. We had actually had 2 bullies & a boxer before we lost Bella this summer, and I was starting to feel overwhelmed w/3 doggies!!! I think as long as you socialize them single dogs do fine. I agree w/everyone else you need to give yourself time to grieve before you get another dog... and enjoy every single moment that you have w/your baby!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nope.... I have Banks (bulldog) and Chelios (French Bulldog)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I had to have 3 pups so that hopefully I won't ever be in your situation. Gt the 3rd thinking there would always be 2 to get thru the grief together. Maybe getting a 3rd now will take away the rough play from the 13 year old some and give more peace to him? Im sorry you r having to think of this, it must be heartbreaking for you. :(

Most Reactions