brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so from reading the posts here it seems like most of you crate your dogs. Brutus is 8mos old and he is great about sleeping in his kennel all night and when we are not home. In the morning before I go to work I sometimes feel guilty putting him back in his crate because he looks so happy lounging on the couch he goes right back to sleep and looks at me like "are you kidding, I'm not going back in there". I am also not dumb enough to think that the sleeping giant wont eat my house when he wakes from his nap on the couch. When did you guys stop crateing your dogs?

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus is a rare bully (Im guessing) and Im a glutton for punishment - I started leaving Colossus out at about 5 months. He never took to the crate and would bark non-stop early in the morning and then through the day, being the softie that I am I let him have run of the house. He does amazing at not chewing on things he shouldnt. He doesnt have any accidents (perse). My recommendation start with short bursts of time - leave him out when you run errands, etc. There are some here who have an "X-Pen" that the put with the kennel to give theirs more room. I built Colossus a "corral" for his safe space.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
It may be time to start giving him more freedom. Not total freedom yet, but more. We let WB have the run of the kitchen (large-ish, about 15' x 15') during the day when we are at work. The ceramic tile floor is easy to clean if he has an accident, but he hasn't since he was 4 months old. His crate is also in the kitchen and he either snoozes in there or sleeps by the puppy gate on the nice, cool ceramic tile. In the evening, he has the run of the house although we watch him like a hawk just in case. The extra freedom seems to be calming him down a lot. He now walks by the cats and they basically ignore each other. He still gets excited and runs over the poor little Yorkie, but that is improving gradually also, which is good since the Yorkie has a torn cruciate ligament from excessive excitement when the gardeners came one weekend.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie is only 7 months, so I can't imagine leaving her alone now w out it. I do, let her sleep on the bed w me at night tho as she is potty trained so I don't feel bad crating her when I go out during the day. I'm not sure tbh that I will ever feel 100% comfortable leaving her w full freedom being the lil mischievous chewer she is no matter how old. I think it is a personal trust choice. I wouldn't leave Brutus free until he is an adult tho. Maybe leave him out and go outside for a but, cone back n see if he has gotten into anything? Pita, I know, but trying it out and lengthening the time each time to me, seems to be the best way to see if he can be trusted. ?

Last edited:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
you know you could gate him in a safe area...the kitchen or the laundry room. We got Mona when she was 1 1/2 years old so I can't help you with when to stop crating a puppy. Try, though, to think of the crate as a safe place for them. It will keep him safe from getting into something that could hurt him. Please don't take this the wrong way, as I catch myself doing it, too. Sometimes we put our project our feelings on these guys. Its all about keeping him safe. As for the barking...does he have a few safe toys in his crate? Maybe leave a radio or tv on for him so he doesn't feel alone..??

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Freedom......its another word for.....ripping your house apart :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Amber has been free on and off since she was about 7 months old. We give her freedom until she......destroys something and then we crate her for a short time and let her back out until she goes back into her next destruction mode. We have lost curtains, cushions, shower curtains, window ledges, dining room chairs needed to be replaced, she is an extreme chewer. Ruby is still young and has not been left to roam free. Not sure what the two of them together would destroy but chances are I wouldn't be happy. Bottom line: no matter how long and good they are at being left to roam, there is always the chance they will one day (and they will) lose their absolute mind, get board and destroy something. It is thrilling for them, playtime so to speak. Good luck but just know, no matter how good they are doing they will get something at some point in time. Its all part of being owned by a bully.....or two.....or three.....or :rofl::rofl::rofl:Good stuff!! Keeps life exciting!!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm not worried about messing in the house. Brutus has been potty trained since he was about 2-3mos old. Unless you think too much freedom will regress him. I'm more worried about him chewing.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Knowing what kind of destructive chewers bullies can be.... I would take it slow and only do it for short periods to start out. When we are in the house Harlea has free roam to go anywhere she wants to. Most of the time she plays in the living room or goes to her crate for a nap. As she is still a baby we don't dare leave her alone outside of her crate yet, but in time she will have more freedom, but only time will tell if she ever gets to roam free when we are gone for an extended period during the day. The kitchen is not an option for us as we have already caught her trying to eat our new cabinets from our recent remodel.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I'm not worried about messing in the house. Brutus has been potty trained since he was about 2-3mos old. Unless you think too much freedom will regress him. I'm more worried about him chewing.

Maybe block off an area of the house, that you can try to Brutus safe..lol.. n give him some chew stuff he can chew to help keep him busy? Problem is, if they like to chew, they will chew I anything chewable..walls, corners etc. so you really have to make sure he is in an area you feel ok with. We have a pen we set up in the living too for Brie when we dont want to crate her. We give her toys n chewy stuff to play w. Freedom is def not an option for her right now..lol

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
^^^
LOL, yeah I gotta patch/paint that corner in the kitchen that WB chewed...you should see the puppy gate, it's all chewed up too but tie wraps and a piece of angle-aliminium is holding it for now...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake quit getting crated at 7 months. He had run of the house. HAD being the hint! His area is limited to the living room and kitchen and dining room. And I have to do a Jake sweep before I go. I use a combination of doggie gates..I have cats, so they need access where jake can't go! He mostly lounges now..but even now..he will eat some poor innocent object..if I miss it. :cursing:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Isn't it awful...I'm not sure how old Dudley was -- maybe a year or 18 months old. The issue with him was not potty-related -- he's really been accident free since he was about 12 weeks old...it was all about chewing -- the walls, the dining room table legs, the front of the breakfront, the piano... -- you get the picture. And it's not like he didn't have 20 or 30 chew toys! Now (he's 2 1/2) he chews on his toys and not the rest of the house. You have to make sure the chewing is somewhat under control -- and their jaws move and grow until they are 18 months-2 years old or so.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh and also I forgot the rail at the foot of my bed-didn't take more than 30 seconds for WB to chew it-still the chew marks there compliment the chewed base-legs of the two recliners in the living room that the Yorkie worked on so many years ago. Even with antlers, large nylabones, a billion rope and soft toys (hand me downs from the Yorkie), it seems WB will always want to chew something he's not supposed to. Kinda gives the place character LOL.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I have never had a problems with my Bullys. I have never crated my guys. Of course they have had their time chewing things up but got over it. they have the run of the house 24/7

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I think you got great advice here, start small, leave him out of his crate but cordoned off when you run to the store quickly and then just work your way up to longer and longer times. Bacon too HAD full run of downstairs, he was good for the first week, then the second week he was kind enough to unzip the couch cushion and tear apart the inside. He was then put back in his daypen while we were at work, we tried starting from the beginning again with a short period of time being free and the first time we left he went after the same cushion again so now he is back in his daypen indefinitely if we are not home. When we are home he has free run of the entire house. He's 20 months old.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.