I need an intervention, two baby bulldogs at once?

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Good Afternoon! I'm in quite the predicament. I want to know the opinions and advice, and hear the input and personal experiences of having two bulldogs. Of course, there's more to the story. I just had to get started with that first. :) I'm getting my little fella next week. My husband and I are so ready, have everything set, and had already decided that we would definitely be getting a second one, just didn't know exactly when. We are both major dog lovers, specifically English Bulldog lovers, and we are finally settled in our home where we can have them and it's just the right time. We come home daily for lunch, we spend our weekends at home, and we're not these marathon runners looking for a running buddy. We enjoy being at home, and want a heavy breathing four legged friend to keep us company.... two of them! It just so happens that our little furbaby Porter came from a litter of three, two boys and one girl. One week later, our breeder had another dog that had a litter of five boys and two girls. We found out today that Porter's sister is the only puppy remaining out of these little ones, and I just can't handle how cute she is and the idea of her not being 'picked' and being alone. Of course, it's partially an excuse, but I absolutely want to get her too! Am I crazy? Is this asking for chaos? Would this be a disaster?

I'd like to know if any of you got your bulldogs around the same age, at the same time, how long you waited to get a second one, or just what you guys think about this. I know it would be quite the task when it comes to house breaking them, just getting them both through the puppy stages that can at times be a little stressful, but I can't think of anything I'd love more! I am possibly a little caught up in their precious faces and rolls, and know they will grow out of that I suppose, butttt it isn't something we didn't originally want or think of before, and we are both a little greedy when it comes to loving on pups! This would make it easier to not have to share if we have our own! Hahaha! :) Definitely a bonus.

Thank you guys for always being so honest and giving your input. I'm so grateful for this site and I haven't even gone through anything crazy yet. Y'all have a wonderful evening!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Go for it!! They're like potato chips quite honestly you can't just have one. The more the merrier! !

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am not for or against it at all as we considered it as well and are still considering getting another one. All I can say is if you feel up to the challenge of two at a time go for it and good luck. Some may think you are nuts but aren't all bully lovers a bit crazy to begin with? :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I say go for it!!! :yes: And post lots of pictures :D LOL I am no help I want another bully but hubby says no because our king bed isn't big enough :*(. We already have a 97 lb lab and Fergus our 8month old bully who sleeps with us. My husband and I both gets 12 inches of bed and they get the rest.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I think it's a great idea to get a litter mate, as they already know each other and they will keep each other company. It's always better to have at least two bullies. Coarse I have 6 adults and two 9 week old pups, so I have a house full. The more the merrier.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
As long as you're prepared for Double The Trouble..Double The $$$$ And Double The :poo:.. Why Not?

I totally agree 100% with this, especially double the $$$$$. We have 5 dogs, 4 of which are bulldogs, so I know the costs all too well. One them alone cost us over $30,000 in medical and rehab costs in one year alone (there went my Infiniti). We also have a rescue from our vet that was surrendered because of the costs related to surgeries they could not afford (plus abused physically and emotionally) that we paid for. Please do you homework up front and know all the medical problems/costs related to owning a bulldog.

Last edited:
OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
That's our logic too. If we go into it expecting it to be so simple, then first of all we're really crazy, but how could any con outweigh all the pros in this scenario?! We had a really good month with our jobs last month, so ironically, the money is there and it was unexpected. At this point, it's going to be up to our breeders cause we're asking for a two-fer type deal, not a huge break, but a small one. I would just LOVE to keep them together, and they'd really have one another to play with for the times we are gone at work, etc. Here are a couple pictures of the two of them. :)

sugar8.jpgsugar1.jpgImage.jpgImage 1.jpg

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Kymberly, I've got two boys, One 11 months old and the other is 15 months old. They have bonded to each other, and everything I do for one I do for the other. They truly are partners in crime. Whenever one goes missing, I know he's with the other and their into something, Go find them immediately. They play together all day long, and sleep next to each other, although at night, I separate them to each side of the room in their crates. When I first got the first one, He was a Picky eater, I mean he would nibble at his food, not stay put to finish up, after getting the second one, it's like whatever one gets, the other wants, If one comes to my chair to be petted, the second will surely follow. When I bathe one, I bathe the second, the other thing is the first one likes to climb in the shower with me, The second has learned from the first. The second Bully wasn't potty trained when I first got him, he was only trained to a puppy pad, The first bully was house trained, Well let me say, #1 showed #2 where and when to go making potty training a snap!! The oldest Bully (Rocky) I had first and is older, He is also (Alpha Dog) already established. They don't quarrel, or squabble, unless their playing with the same toy, and all day long, I catch them stealing toys away from each other, and hiding on the couch chewing on it. They are both characters, and are both so lovable. I want to say if you have time to manage one, you have time to manage both. Having two in your home is definitely twice the love, twice the affection, and my two are 50 & 58 lbs. The younger one (Rambo) is younger but definitely bigger, by about an inch or two, but much rounder hahahahahaha. I feel truly blessed, and I know many others will have wonderful input as well. The only downside I can even think about is the expense, but again I'm blessed to have 2 very healthy young guys, and we all three do the car rides together, and like saying earlier, once you train one, the second follows suite, making life a snap. Best of Luck, can't wait to read your decision. :yes:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's our logic too. If we go into it expecting it to be so simple, then first of all we're really crazy, but how could any con outweigh all the pros in this scenario?! We had a really good month with our jobs last month, so ironically, the money is there and it was unexpected. At this point, it's going to be up to our breeders cause we're asking for a two-fer type deal, not a huge break, but a small one. I would just LOVE to keep them together, and they'd really have one another to play with for the times we are gone at work, etc. Here are a couple pictures of the two of them. :)

View attachment 49398View attachment 49399View attachment 49400View attachment 49401

Absolutely IRRESISTIBLE! ! I would get both. THEY'RE PRECIOUS! !!!!!!!!!!!

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
That's so good to hear. It's amazing to me how animals bond and become life long buds. As different as some people think they are from us, they're really just alike. We definitely have the time for one, which is precisely why I am not worried about having two, and regarding their health and temperament, etc., we would not be getting them from the breeder we are if we hadn't gone over the top in looking around and doing research. I feel incredibly blessed to have stumbled upon them, as they TRULY love the breed, and have their priorities in line regarding health, pedigree, temperament, etc. I know things can come up with them, and you can't plan for all the things that might occur, but we are prepared for that. Or so I think.... :) I guess we will see how prepared if/when that time comes. I just love these little munchkins and wanted to make sure I wasn't a looney toon! :) How could anyone not pick this sweet girl? Ah!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I say go for it! Honestly I love having multiples! I adopted Gio December 2011 (year and a half at the time) then 6 weeks later we adopted our frenchie Diva (3 at the time), they are obsessed with each other! I love watching them play, they really enjoy their play time with each other. We adopted our senior when she was 9 so she isn't as close with them but she really doesn't want to play anyways because of her age. My uncle at christmas time bought 2 cockapoo puppies from the same litter and they are hilarious together, they know that they are sisters, they play together, boss each other around, and they sleep in the same crate. My view is you will never regret having and loving another bullie, but you might if you don't get her; that's how we viewed adopting our senior in January, we really didn't need another dog but I didn't want to regret leaving her in a shelter at her age! And also you are asking the wrong group of people, I think most will agree that 2 is better than one!!! LOL we are all bully addicts! Good luck with your decision, it's not an easy one!! :)

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
HAHA I agree they are like chips you cant have just one :)
I have 2 girls that are the same age and I got them about 2 weeks apart from the same breeder and they are inseperable. I think they know they started out together because even though all 4 of mine get along great and play with each other those to girls are the closest usually where one is the other one is not far away. They even sleep next to one another usually touching. I actually thought they were easier to train because they seemed to follow one another so you actually only had to get one to do something and then the other would follow :) Good luck and have fun :)

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Hahahaha! That's so very true! :) I like that though.

I love these stories! They just bring such a smile to my face. There is this one video on YouTube of someone's little chunks, and watching them play together just makes you smile and melt all at the same time. Seeing animals play in person, but watching the little baby bulldogs roll around and rough house, as rough as they could, it just made our initial thought even more concrete.

We are waiting to hear back from our breeder now! I am hoping they don't think we want her INSTEAD. Goodness, I want both! :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I have just one bully -- Dudley. I often wish I had gotten two! Dudley and i say "go for it". If you are just crazy enough to have one bully...heck...what's one more! Just more to LOVE!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.