I need an intervention, two baby bulldogs at once?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kimberley, and welcome to EBN. I also have two EB's. they are siblings male and female, and their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. They are now 17 months old. I'm not going to tell you it was all easy with two babies at first, but it's great now. My story is kind of like yours and your husbands. I had always wanted an EB for about 10 years, I said if I ever got one I would get a male, and call him Bulldozer, but I already had a Jack Russell, she passed away almost 3 years ago at the age of 14, and from cancer. After she passed, I said to my family, no more dogs. My kids are 31 and 33 and I had two dogs in their lifetime, and thought they are a lot of work, you're tied down to the house, etc. the winter passed and when the spring came I was missing a dog in the house. I told my husband I wanted my EB puppy for Mother's Day, and I had seen the picture of my Dozer. I made an appointment to see him on the Friday before Mother's Day, I played with him on the kitchen floor with my husband and grandson and fell in live with him, paid for him and asked if I could pick him up on Sunday as I had to get all my puppy supplies and I wasn't going to be home. When we came on sunday to pick him up the breeder came upstairs with both pups, I told her I want the male right. He said you want both right? I said No, but my husband jumped in and said Yes. Lol. He wanted Blossom too, he said she was sooo cute, and he couldn't leave her there alone. I thought he was crazy, 2 bullies? The hardest part was training both of them, but we put them on a schedule, we took them out every one to two hours during the day, and set our cell phones for 2 am to take them out at night, just like a baby. We kept this schedule and they were totally trained day and night by the time they were 5 months old. We had them both spayed and neutered when they were 7 months old, we scheduled their surgeies a week apart so each one could recuperate and get the TLC they needed after. We did Blossom first, because her surgery was more invasive, and we wanted to do it before her first heat, plus she had cherry eye, and we repaired her eye at the same time as her spay surgery to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. We didn't want her going into heat and have to separate her and Dozer. A week later we neutered Dozer. They both had quick and easy recoveries, and it was easier to do each one separately as they each had their time to heal, and the other one got extra one on one time with mommy.

After they were trained it was much easier and I'm glad that we have both babies. They are very close, and such great company for each other. They sleep together, eat together, cuddle together, and play together. They have two of every toy, but will always play with the same toy together. When we go to a leash free park or just to the park where other dogs are, they will chase the other dogs for a little bit, but for the most part they just play with each other, and kind of ignore other dogs. When it's hot and they can't go out, they always have each other. I wouldn't trade having both of them, they have two different personalities, Dozer is my laid back, lazy doesn't care what you do to him, and Blossom is the dominate, full of beans and energy, and wants to play 24/7. We had them in a double crate when they were small, but as they got bigger we bought separate crates, because they have different personalities, and Dozer likes to sleep, but Blossom would chew on his ears, lay on his head, and just bug him. Their crates are side by side, and when they sleep at night, they both sleep the exact same way and position and their faces are always facing each other. In the morning when we let them out, the other one will sit outside the crate and wait right outside as if to say what about my brother, or what about my sister? I think everyone should have two EB's, one is not enough.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8480]Kymberly[/MENTION], it sounds like you and your husband have put a lot of thought and consideration in getting a 2nd bully, and that's a really good thing! I have two bullies myself...Tate and Finn are half brothers. Finn was also the "last bully" left of a litter that came after Tate's; apparently the guy who put down a deposit for Finn backed out at the last moment and Sonia the breeder contacted me to ask if I wanted him (I had told her I was looking for a playmate for Tate). So, over the 4th of July wknd of 2011, I brought my little 12 wk old Finn home with me. Tate was 16 wks old by then. They truly are brothers in that they play together, they fight together (!), and sometimes, they'll even sleep and cuddle on top of each other too. They bring so much joy into my life...every single day. I'm a "single mom" to them and tho it's definitely a lot more work than just having one bully, and a lot of resources, I feel that's just par for the course since I consider them my children. The laughter and smiles they bring me is worth everything!

I just know you will make the right decision! Good luck :)

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
I just want to thank ALL of you! So much. The stories are great and even more confirmation that we aren't crazy for wanting two puppies, and I really hope we get the opportunity.

We just got off the phone with our breeder, and she let us know the reason people haven't picked the baby girl was only because she ALSO had an umbilical hernia. Their momma was a little over the top with cleaning these guys, because this is the only litter that had them. She said that their mom has had two other litters and none of the puppies had them, but it is what it is. Porter is having his surgery next week, then the baby girl will have hers at 10 weeks, which is in about two weeks. She is healthy and good to go in every other area, but our breeder wants to make sure she won't need any further surgeries to correct the hernia before saying she's 100%. Most likely it's just a typical hernia, and we get her in three weeks. If not, then we will wait and see what happens. Learning what I have about the hernia situation, I understand it's incredibly common and usually no big thing. I can't leave the little dumpling alone cause of that. I think she's beautiful and that's not like some crazy defect! Nowwww..... To come up with a name. :) Ha!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
HAHAHA...I agree w/Melissa and most of the posters here...two (or more)
is better than one. Moreover, I think YOU'VE made up your mind to the same!
It sounds as if you & Hubby are in agreement, have the time & money and have
done your research...all good...and life is a crapshoot, who can know everything?

I know that choosing LOVE is always a great choice, I do think that most dogs like
having another dog to play with & bond with and just like skin kids...once you have
one, your whole life changes so why not have more? For me, the choice is having
NONE or having them and so I say GO FOR IT.

Adorable puppies, I couldn't resist them! Congratulations & good luck!!

I like Monica's
@Vikinggirl...​name suggestion...Porter & Petunia...GOD bless!

KentuckyBully

Jun 28, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mickey and Minnie
Well, I'm living the bully dream! I have two bully puppies and they are ten weeks apart. We did not really anticipate getting Minnie a brother, but we have multiple dogs, all who are very elderly, and she was bored! Adding Mickey was the best decision ever! It has been years since we've had puppies as we've always rescued senior dogs and I have to say it has been so much fun! Minnie is now 9 months and Mickey is 7.5 and we have not once regretted the decision. I will add that we've been to positive behavioral training and attended weekly puppy socials until they were too big. It is a work in progress.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just want to thank ALL of you! So much. The stories are great and even more confirmation that we aren't crazy for wanting two puppies, and I really hope we get the opportunity.

We just got off the phone with our breeder, and she let us know the reason people haven't picked the baby girl was only because she ALSO had an umbilical hernia. Their momma was a little over the top with cleaning these guys, because this is the only litter that had them. She said that their mom has had two other litters and none of the puppies had them, but it is what it is. Porter is having his surgery next week, then the baby girl will have hers at 10 weeks, which is in about two weeks. She is healthy and good to go in every other area, but our breeder wants to make sure she won't need any further surgeries to correct the hernia before saying she's 100%. Most likely it's just a typical hernia, and we get her in three weeks. If not, then we will wait and see what happens. Learning what I have about the hernia situation, I understand it's incredibly common and usually no big thing. I can't leave the little dumpling alone cause of that. I think she's beautiful and that's not like some crazy defect! Nowwww..... To come up with a name. :) Ha!

Our Jake had an umbilical hernia. Very common and easily repaired at spay time. Sometimes they are a little bigger and need to be repaired and sometimes they will close up on their own. No reason not to get her!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I couldn't imagine 2 the same age at the Same time. Man oh man you guys that have had 2 pups the same age or very close at the same time are brave. Duchess is 16 months- got her at 8 weeks and duke is now 18 weeks- got him at 12 weeks: it's great having two but it is a handful and at that duchess is very obedient and attended 12 weeks of training as a pup- duke completed 4 weeks so far and is now in a 6 weeks session .

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I would say go for it. We got our two bullies at the same time. I wanted two so they would have someone to play with during the day and run around the back yard with. We got sisters from the same littler and it has worked out great so far, no fighting or any bad behavior between them. The onyl draw backs i would say to having two is twice the amount of butts to wipe when they come in from potty breaks. Every other "draw back" so far I would consider a blessing since even the bad stuff is usually pretty entertaining with these dogs.

Last edited:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good luck, whatever you decide. P.S. - If I could talk my husband into to it, Otis would have a sibling also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I love the title of this thread. An intervention.... Well you are obviously not going to get that here! :ROFL:

They are both adorable!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My goodness they are so dang cute how could you pick just one?!! Lol I had 2 bully's (Mom & Baby) and they got along fine... Keep us posted ; )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's our logic too. If we go into it expecting it to be so simple, then first of all we're really crazy, but how could any con outweigh all the pros in this scenario?! We had a really good month with our jobs last month, so ironically, the money is there and it was unexpected. At this point, it's going to be up to our breeders cause we're asking for a two-fer type deal, not a huge break, but a small one. I would just LOVE to keep them together, and they'd really have one another to play with for the times we are gone at work, etc. Here are a couple pictures of the two of them. :)

View attachment 49398View attachment 49399View attachment 49400View attachment 49401

OMG... they are both beauties!!! if you want two... litter mates and opposite sex is the best way to go. if you are prepared for two of everything, good and bad -- BEST OF LUCK!

OP
Kymberly

Kymberly

Mar 30, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Porter and Gracie Mae
Y'all are just amazing! Period and the end. My husband read all of the posts last night when we were getting ready for bed, and he was cracking up. We're just in love with both of those pups and have to have them both. I can't wait. These next couple of weeks are going to feel like an eternity, especially since we've been waiting since MARCH! I just can't believe that I've made it.

I love the Petunia name suggestion. If I wasn't totally afraid of being banned from the site for being such a goofball, I would share the full story! Lol. Let me sum it up with just mentioning I'm a pretty random girl, I like to have fun doing whatever I do, and I can't handle people with a stick in their rear. One day for absolutely no apparent reason, I started calling my husband "Petunia." I have no idea where I got it from, but it's half way stuck. (Among the many other names I have for him! All good.) I couldn't make this stuff up. When I told him that a couple of you had mentioned Petunia, he was like "I know you're on there, but do you tell them everything, do they know the joke behind it, or is it really that random!?" I about died. I love the name, but can't name our girl that when he is occasionally called that. Ha!

We went through the name suggestions on here and like Lola and Gracie. I just think Gracie/Gracie Mae is too cute and could totally see a bulldog with that name. It would so suit her personality and appearance. I will have to report back when we make the official decision. :)

I'm so glad to hear that the two of them could really be okay in a crate together. We got the absolute biggest kennel when we bought it, it was on a ridiculous sale, and it has the divider. Of course we already have it sectioned off into a small area for Porter, but I didn't even think about possibly putting "her" in the other side. Duh! That will work for us until they get a little bigger. Thank you guys for all of your input and stories! I am so hopeful that with them being litter mates/brother and sister, it will help them not feel so alone and provide some tiny bit of comfort. I know we're going to love them up entirely too much, if it's possible, but I am relieved that they will have a friend along the way. I can't wait to see them play together and roll around. Ha!

Porter and Gracie... I really think I'm liking this more and more.

Thanks again y'all! Hope you're having a fabulous day and thanks for putting up with my long messages and sharing in our excitement!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.