How Long Can A Year Old Bull Dog be Left without going outside?

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Im not looking to leave our buff alone for days at a time but from the time we got her until now shes been out or had someone there with here so she could go out if she wanted ever 4-5 hours and has never been left alone longer than that (other than over night). My wife is going back to work and its not very convenient but buff would have to be left 8-9 hours at a time a couple days a week unless we find some one to let her out halfway through the day. other than the fact that buff might get bored being alone for that long is there any problem with her being able to hold it that long, now that shes over a year old? How long do some of you leave your dog if/when you have to?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 182.jpg
    182.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Dudley is now 2 1/2 years old. I was actually working when I got him, but I would run home at lunch to let him out -- 5 or 6 hours; and then it would be 5 or 6 hours before I got home at the end of the day. He was crated -- and had no problems. I stopped crating him when I went out when he was about 18 months old...never a problem. I've actually - in an emergency situation -- left him for 12 hours and he's been fine. Of course, he doesn't have to go out overnight -- typically 8 or 9 hours. He's always been really good with NOT having accidents. Such a good boy. Your Buff is gorgeous.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba is now 9 months old and can hold it for up to 9 hours since he was about 7 months old.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Crated Wilson and Emma were, are still are, able to go 10 hours at a year's age. I just made sure they went potty before my eyes before I left for work. They had an occasional mishap but that's it. Wilson 2.5+ and Emma's 1.5+ now and they can go 10.5 now.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
'They' say, technically a dog is suppose to be able to hold their bladder for their age plus 1 ..so if it is a puppy at 5 mos they should hold it for almost 6 hours- if housebroken. However, I find that to be not the case always w the dogs I have had. Brie is 7 mos n during the day I still take her out every 3 hours or so., Sometimes longer..it just depends on play, water intake etc. At night, she will hold it for a good 10 hours tho. How old is Buff?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am pretty much in the same situation as [MENTION=9236]Lisabear123[/MENTION] During the day Harlea goes and sits by the back door when she wants or needs to go outside or potty and she will do this anywhere from every 30 minutes to 3 hours depending on if she has been sleeping or playing. Most of the time it is to go out and play as she loves the outside. At night it is a totally different story. She goes out around 9pm comes back in and has her nightly spaz attack for about 30 minutes and then is down for the count until between 5 and 5:30am. For the first 2 weeks we had her we would wake her up every 2 hours during the night and she would get all grumpy and refuse to go potty and we would sit there for 30 minutes to an hour and she would just lie in the grass and go back to sleep. One night we didn't repeat the cycle and she slept through the night with no accidents and she even has a water bottle in her crate and can hear her take a drink from time to time during the night. She is only 11.5 weeks old at this point but doesn't have any accidents in her crate and the only ones she has had in the house are from when she plays too hard and gets the uh oh look and can't make it to the door fast enough to go out but even then that has only happened about 5 times. I guess you could say every bully is different and some at a young age can hold it a bit longer than others.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
We have left our two at home for about 8 hours during the day, due to us working, since we got them at 4 months old. We had a couple of accidents in their crates for the first month or so, maybe 5 times. After that they got really good at holding it til I got home from work. So now they can really hold it all night (7-8 hours) til i get up to go to work, and during the day (8 hours) til i get home. For some reason the only time we have an accident nowadays is right after baths if we don't watch them like hawks and let them out to go.

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
Thanks for the help i think were going to try to get someone to let her out at noons for a while yet. im sure she would be able to handle it but im sure she will love being let out for a little bit and seeing somone half way through the day

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online