I'll share a little more !!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Most of you know I live in Louisiana, on the edge of the "Honey Island Swamp". Let me share with you a strange visit I got today. 13 months ago, my older brother passed away strangely, from a stroke, which was bizarre, as the stroke was caused from a blood clot in his leg that broke loose. My brother and I were close, even though their was an age difference of 9 years. We had this bizarre day that he and I visited an entire day, :), prior to him falling, developing a blood clot, and the following week was a shooting gallery of blood clots. 5 ½ weeks I sat with him in the hospital, every day, praying for a recovery, but both of us loosing in the end !! He owned a home in the country, on a couple of acres of property, of which was passed to me at his departure. Now living in this home, life has changed a great deal from Katrina. The hardest hit area, was St. Bernard Parish, better known by it's residents as "The Parish" and the home to Louisiana's greatest people, we call them Chalmations, being from a city named Chalmette, LA. This area is the only Parish/County, between where I live now, and the Gulf of Mexico, and was totally destroyed by the great Hurricane. It's residents, being Fishermen by trade mostly, are statewide known, and easily detected by these White Fishing boots they wear, it's like what we call a Parish requirement, even the secretaries that go to work, may get caught on a rainy day, hahaha and they don't wear sandals, but they also wear these shrimping boots I call them. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about!!
8417910474_0bfcaf4365_z.jpg Note the white boots.

Okay, so I work a good bit, and when home, I have a home business I work at also, So being out in the yard occurs when I'm walking Rocky and Rambo the many times a day. Anyway, I noticed my neighbors from across the street were chalmations, as I always see them wearing these white boots, and knowing since the storm they've moved into our area a good bit to get away from the Gulf. My neighbor has a riding lawnmower for his property, and has a bicycle basket mounted just in front of the steering wheel, but on the hood. He uses the basket to ride his little compadre (Wire Haired Terrier) around in, to keep him still. Today he sees me out with Rocky and Rambo, always friendly and full of personality, waves at me, and says, got another one don't you, Knowing I've had Rambo since Fathers day, it clicks in my mind how perceptive my neighbor is. I'm guessing about an hour or so later, I hear a knock at my door, which is followed by Rocky and Rambo totally going bazerk over the knocking, lol, I open the door which is an enclosed patio, and it's my neighbors wife. She is there because her husband sent her over to warn me, That "Owls" have been spotted in the immediate area, and so i'm like "Really" wondering why I need to know this, I've been around Owls all my life, well then she tells me, Dave, you need to be careful, were worried about your two boys, Owls swoop down and snatch your pet up and fly away with them to eat later. Okay, I admit my mind isn't usual, the first thing that comes to my mind is "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock, the white dog Fluffy, filmed in Alaska, where the eagle swoops down and snatches up the family Dog :rofl:, If I remember right, sandra throws a phone at the Eagle, and the Eagle drops the dog, and Sandra is running all over the yard trying to catch the dog lol. Anyway, this is the thoughts are running through my mind, and I'm trying hard to keep a straight face as she's warning me, Thinking, these boys are 50 pounds a piece, and are experts on the 5 second food rule, anything hits the floor, and they beat you to it, they eat and swallow whole. Now I haven't tested the Hoot Owl theory, but thinking Rocky and Rambo would regard a Hoot Owl much like a flying Gummy Bear. omg,,, My neighbors are so nice, but at the same time they crack me up. She told me they refuse to walk their terrier, late at night and early in the morning, because of the owls and the dangers they bring, and I'm thinking how nice they are to share their concern, but I'd sure hate to see the Owl that flies across the yard with Rambo in it's claws. Anyway, just testing the water, am I the only person living in the twilight zone, or does things like this happen to any of y'all too??? Please share your stories if you got em'??

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
That was so incredibly sweet...but I honestly would have burst out laughing! Even baby O, who is short and looks puppyish ...is at least 35 pounds at the age of 4. No way would an owl get away with trying to fly off with her in it's clutches. If by some twist of unbelievable fairy land fate it did...all hell would break loose once Orion was delivered to the feasting area.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Helloooooooooooooooo! We have owls get raccoons here all the time! When we first moved here..we were woken up at like 3 am with the worst blood curdling scream EVER! :eek: Since my hubby is so brave..err...smart..lol...we checked it out when the sun first came out. We weren't sleeping anyway ..and there was blood around our pool and a trail over our fence to the neighbors! Oh my Gawdddddd..we were horrified! Soon found out, it's "normal" and the owls can carry Small dogs! :ohmy: We have hawks that have taken puppies..oh my goodness..I need to move! :faint: orrrrr get me some white boots! :whistle:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
nah, Not the Twlight zone......... its worse than you thought. . . You neighbors have entered....................

The CASPER Zone :p

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am ot normal either then because that was the first thing that came in my head The proposal (movie) I too would have probably burst out laughing.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
You did good...holding it all in as she's explaining 'bout the owls...I'd want
to think I'd be so gracious in the moment but I dunno...it'd be difficult to
not crack up in front of her. That's funny right there!

My sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. What a gift to have
a great visit the week before he died. My husband and his brother (6 yrs
younger than Stuart) met in Shreveport, LA about 2 weeks before Hubby
died and spent a day & night gambling. We were living about 2 hrs from
there in East TX...Tyler, TX and Vince drives cross country as a trucker.

I know your home has great meaning to you...GOD bless you!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I think I would have laughed, but I have been known to turn off my "filter" from time to to time. I was worried about the eagles we've seen hunting from time to time if we had gotten a puppy, but they'd have a hard time hanging on to Mabel if my experience putting on her nose balm is any indication!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you for sharing Dave! We have owls around where I live too and you can hear them every morning and night. When we first brought Harlea home we were worried about it as well, but we aren't any longer as the ones around here prefer the millions of squirrels we have at any given time.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh dear -- good for you for not laughing at what clearly was an earnest warning! We have hawks here -- I've seen them pick up rabbits and squirrels. My neighbor has been worried about her little dog...but I don't think a hawk is going to get far with my 80 lb Dudley! :D So sorry about your brother.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sorry to hear about your brother, I know the feeling of standing with my neighbor and listening to what he has to say without either laughing or wanting to tell him to shut the he*l up!! At lest she was being nice, my neighbor it a complete kooky mess!!!!!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
What a sweet neighbor to warn you but still hilarious at the thought of an owl trying to make off with a bully. I do know, however, that an owl may try anyway and really mess up your dog's back. I had a good friend with a big fat cat that an owl tried to make off with. Grabbed hold and started to fly off, cat got his back all ripped up when his weight was too much for the owl to carry any farther. Needless to say, he became an indoor cat after that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is sweet. I guess the size of these pups to an outsider just looking isn't so big? :lol: I mean without having them wrestle you, you really wouldn't know how solid they really r. Heck mugsy, the pug is even 25 pounds although you wouldn't really think so looking at him. Never have worried about the hawks or owls trying to pick him up.... Hmm.... Now I will have nightmares tonight. Haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not sure what would had me laughing more.... the thought of Baby O in an Owl nest or seeing people with the white boots on all the time.....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You rocked them white boots, dude.

I'd also like to meet the owl that could cart off Miss Tubby and Mr Big Pants over here.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.