Need some tips on brands

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
hey. so I am researching everything my new eb puppy needs.

so far kong seems to be the best brand for her harness, leash, and chew toys.

i have been told blue buffalo wilderness grain-free for puppies is best, but since i dont have my puppy yet im unsure of what she needs.

for her crate i think im getting a midwest solutions large crate and divider from petsmart, it seems to have the best reviews.

i know stainless steal bowls for her food and water are best, and i wanted to get the muttnose kava kava shampoo someone here mentioned is good but i am not able to get it online or in stores because im in canada.

if you have any opinions on the stuff i mentioned or anything like brands you use and tips and stuff that would be great! thanks!

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Also in Canada.

Favourite food (he has been on this since he was a puppy) is Acana grain-free. Chance does well on all flavours, excluding the one with duck (it upset his stomach). It is made in Canada from fresh, regional ingredients. Orijen, their partner, also makes fantastic food but it is really high in protein (perhaps too much so for bullies who are relatively inactive compared to other doggy counterparts). Darford is a great alternative (and I love their One Plus program). I know other bullies have been fine on the Acana with duck but couldn't eat the chicken. Depends on your bully. This food is easier to get in larger cities. It isn't sold at Petsmart but you can find it at smaller boutique stores and places like Ren's Pet Depot or Global Pet Foods.

Favourite shampoo is Earthbath (Mango Tango!) Smells divine, easy on the environment, wonderful for the coat. I also use the conditioner on him. The Mango Tango spray is awesome if he gets out of the lake or out of the fountain. Puppy soft. :)

I totally recommend making up a medicine chest before your pup gets home. Things you don't think of, but are good to have on hand:

gauze
styptic powder or corn starch (for clotting)
eye wash
artificial tears (NOT visine)
diaper rash cream (or something similar)
nose & paw balm (bag balm, snout stik, vaseline... we started with vaseline, but now I make my own stuff)
benadryl
dosing syringe (the plastic bit without the needle...good for getting liquid meds into them)
pepto bismol chews
activated charcoal in case of poisoning
baby wipes (you will need lots of those, forever!)
cotton swabs & cotton balls
nail clippers or dremel (depending on your preference) & a file (if you don't dremel)
hydrogen peroxide
rubbing alcohol
antibiotic cream
tweezers
toothbrush
lemon (get a plastic "real lemon" from the grocery store). the juice is good for clearing their throats of foam/phlegm
rectal thermometer (digital)

OP
alyw9876

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
wow. your so helpful! thank you!!! your chance is sooo cute!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
OP
alyw9876

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
thank you! you have been really helpful :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
May I suggest..if you have a Walmart near you..They have great ASPCA approved crates. And about half as expensive as Petsmart! I see you are in Canada...if no Walmarts..try Amazon. Their prices beat petsmart too!

I love witch hazel for ear cleaning and Duoxo pads.
Good Luck!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
hey. so I am researching everything my new eb puppy needs.

so far kong seems to be the best brand for her harness, leash, and chew toys.

i have been told blue buffalo wilderness grain-free for puppies is best, but since i dont have my puppy yet im unsure of what she needs.

for her crate i think im getting a midwest solutions large crate and divider from petsmart, it seems to have the best reviews.

i know stainless steal bowls for her food and water are best, and i wanted to get the muttnose kava kava shampoo someone here mentioned is good but i am not able to get it online or in stores because im in canada.

if you have any opinions on the stuff i mentioned or anything like brands you use and tips and stuff that would be great! thanks!

Comgrats on the new pup. I would look into the easy walk harness- it will help I he's a puller- it clips in the front instead of over the back. Also get the crate from petco.com they are about 50% off!

OP
alyw9876

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
i cant get anything from petco because im not in the states :(

OP
alyw9876

alyw9876

Jul 18, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Milly
amazon.com wont let me but amazon.ca is. lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Most people on here use Fromms dogfood, I bought my crate at Petsmart, it is the Lifestages crate made by Midwest, it's all steel, and well made, we only buy Kong toys for our two guys, as they chew and eat everything, but even with these tough durable toys, they onlyngetbthem when they are supervised in case they get pieces off, which they eventually do, but at least with the Kong toys, it takes them a lot longer to chew through them, we cannot give them soft toys, or stuffed animals, or blankets, or pillows as they tear them apart, and eat the stuffing, usually within the first 1/2 hour of getting one.

We give our guys some supplements like salmon oil for the omega oils, a cranberry pill for prevention of bladder infections, we put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water everyday, it is very beneficial for inflammation in the body, it boosts the immune system, it helps with bad breath, and it balances the Ph levels in the blood. You can also give your dog Chondroitin for the joints. All of these can be bought over the counter at a drug store or a health food store, these supplements are all natural and safe for humans as well as dogs. If you buy them at a drug store, they will be cheaper than if you buy then from a vets office.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.