ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I found out from our vet that Mabel has not been debarked. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] and I were discussing this a while back. He said he saw nothing wrong with her vocal cords and was surprised she hasn't barked or vocalized at all since we got her. He said she may just never bark. I know I am crazy, but I would love to hear her voice! We've tried everything. Any suggestions?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Is she afraid of anything? Vegas is not a barker, but when Joe gets the ladder out all his fur stands up on his back and he barks his head off at the ladder!!?!? He don't even bark if someone knocks on the front door or rings the bell.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Be careful what you wish for...I said that to my BF when Dudley was a baby...now...I'm just wishin' he would SHUT UP!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea only barks when she wants something or we aren't paying enough attention to little Miss Diva. Have you tried playing keep away with her favorite toy? For us it drives Harlea nuts and she starts barking after a few minutes.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is my first bulldog an OEB. I have had an Amstaff, ABPT, cocker spaniel, and my wife's maltese. Ace is the least vocal of any dog I have had or been around, he will whine for my attention and bark on occasions when really on alert but other than that not much.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is not a barker, and when we first got her she never barked either.

Then a few months after we had her a sudden loud noise scared her and made her vocalize, but it really wasn't much of an actual bark. And that is all we heard for a while.

Then about a year or so after she lived here she suddenly decided that the doorbell was something to bark at.

Just a few months ago (before Amy) she surprised me by giving a quick bark when she wanted me to play with her and I had my nose in the computer. She had never done that before but she did it a few times after the first.

And then there is Now, (since Amy) we often hear her bark in "correction" and playing.

So I suggest just giving it time.... Or GET A PUPPY! :rofl:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I found out from our vet that Mabel has not been debarked. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] and I were discussing this a while back. He said he saw nothing wrong with her vocal cords and was surprised she hasn't barked or vocalized at all since we got her. He said she may just never bark. I know I am crazy, but I would love to hear her voice! We've tried everything. Any suggestions?

Ahhhh I wish you could hear her too. It was the best sound hearing Sally. Even debarked dogs bark they're just really scruffy sounding. Chris, does Mabel have a favorite thing to do; toy, play, treat, etc. I'm wondering if you could get her super exciting with your own excitement and entice a sound from her. That's just odd that she won't make a sound at all. Sally's made several now that she's at home now. She's barked at my neighbor the other night when the boys were fighting and I was trying to break them up. She was protecting us. But Sally's first bark was brought on the garage compressor which is loud and makes that vibration sound, same with the lawn mower which she barks at.

I hope that one day you can hear her voice. :hug:

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Chris, Rocky hardly ever barks unless he thinks he hears someone knocking on the door, and then Rambo never hushes up, I even think he barks in his sleep. I mean if its to hot in the house for his liking he barks, if he's hungry he barks, if he doesn't like something he barks, if he wants attention he barks, if he sees a fly flying he barks, I take him outside, and he goes bananas barking, Morale of the story, some bark a lot, Rambo, some bark very little Rocky. Usually if I hold or play with one of Rockys toys, and he gets jealous of me and his toy, I can entice him to bark, if i knock on my coffee table like someone is at the door, I can make him bark that way, oh and the home theater being on, and speakers all over the entertainment room, knocks on door coming from the back speakers makes him bark, and other dogs on animal planet can entice him also, hopefully you'll find something in here you haven't tried yet to entice a bark, thinking it's sad that Mabel's not been debarked, and nothing is found wrong, but she hasn't barked yet, Guessing some people are born mute, has Mabel at least whined or anything, like if she's in pain? any noise at all?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
She will, Chris...Cami never barked, whined or any sound for the 1st two
months then when a knock at the door, she'd bark to alert with one maybe
2 barks. other than that, nothing. Two more months go by then one night
she's lying on her cooleroo by my bed and startled me by one sharp bark.
I thought something was wrong w/her...in pain or something it was that
out of character for her. Finally I determined she was demanding to be UP
on my bed with me...of course I melted and was so excited she SPOKE to
me...a conversation!!! After that, she did it all the time...the 'lil diva!
:smoochwink:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, hope she'll start to speak soon:) I remember the first time our babies spoke, it just melted my heart<3 Now though I wish they were more quiet:blink: we have a total of six dogs and there is NEVER EVER a quiet moment around here:tongue: When our bullies were babies they didn't make much noise as far as I remember... maybe she's just late? or she's so happy with life she doesn't feel the need to ask for anything:D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Who knows her history. It could be that she was discouraged from barking for the entire of her life. You never truly know the history with these rescue babies.

It may take a long time for her to make a sound. Or maybe she has just perfected the "look" to get her own way!!!! Maggie was very good at that!!!! :yes:

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna never barked either...i played sound clips of barking dogs to see if that would get her to bark....found one she did bark...now i know why she doesn't a 50 pound bulldog...sounds like a poodle...think she's embarrassed;)...she just doesn't bark very often...and it's usually to try to get someone to give her a snack...i'm her protector she's not mine...that's fine...she's a rescue still has some fears and still a little head shy..getting better..but even over a year of no one laying a unloving hand on her she will still flinch every now & then..i think she just wasn't permitted to bark

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
When we first got ruthie she never barked and she was a rescue. We just assumed she would be quiet. So we gave up even trying to get her to bark. Then one day...we heard it. And it was the most adorable, gruff bark we had ever heard. And now....we sometimes can't get her to shut up, once we tell her to shut up, she always has to have the last word and let out a growly bark. Give it time, she'll surprise you one day!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.