Vaccinations

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I will definitely be doing titers from now on..No more shots for Chumley... He just recently had a 3 yr rabies shot which was mistakenly given by the vet. He wasn't due until 2015..Since then he's had allergic reactions, inflamed red bumps, itching, and head tremors. The vet claims its not related but his problems started after the shot..I will never get him another rabies shot again..no matter what the law is.

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
I don't know what that is either......but here where I live if you don't have annual shots, your dog is not allowed to stay in the kennel. My bully stays there a lot when I am out of town. So it's a must for me. But he also has never had any problems with his vaccinations either. Sorry you had problems.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't know what that is either......but here where I live if you don't have annual shots, your dog is not allowed to stay in the kennel. My bully stays there a lot when I am out of town. So it's a must for me. But he also has never had any problems with his vaccinations either. Sorry you had problems.

We are required by law too..BUT if a vet gives a medical excuse, they cannot make you vaccinate if it causes reactions in your pets. We had a Rottie whose Rabies vaccine was expired. But her immune system was so compromised nd she was fighting bone cancer (a battle she lost. :(. ). She was excused from her vaccination.

Daizy and Dukes mom

Nov 28, 2011
Mansfield, ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Daizy & Duke
I only do puppy series and then titer after that. My previous dog, a Mini Schnauzer, became epileptic after a rabies vaccine and we lost him a year later. In Canada, if you have an ill dog, they can write you a medical exemption and they will never have to receive another shot again. New research states a rabies vaccination last 7-10 years. I will never give my fur-kids any more vaccinations then needed. I believe in vaccinations, just not over vaccinating. And I wait a month between the different vaccines, when the are pups. My guys are due in January of next year for their rabies, I will be doing titers!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Me either! But I'm thinking it tests the levels of antibodies to see if they actually need a vaccine??

Exactly! It cost around $100 per test- and you need one for everything separately so it definately adds up but I just get so nervous anytime these guys need shots , duke had his last distemper bordatella, and rabies today and I can tell he doesn't feel well, not to mention my g/f Chihuaha was in the hospital for 7 days the last time he was vaccimated

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
We are required by law too..BUT if a vet gives a medical excuse, they cannot make you vaccinate if it causes reactions in your pets. We had a Rottie whose Rabies vaccine was expired. But her immune system was so compromised nd she was fighting bone cancer (a battle she lost. :(. ). She was excused from her vaccination.

correct- with a written excusal from vet you can't be denied- the reality is that test have shown after the puppy series of shots they have enough antibodies to last them 3-4 years if not longer.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
correct- with a written excusal from vet you can't be denied- the reality is that test have shown after the puppy series of shots they have enough antibodies to last them 3-4 years if not longer.

Cats actually maintain antibodies way sooner than dogs..and as we know, aren't required rabies and many others. After a couple years..my cats get no vaccines. In fact, my old kitty (14) was diagnosed with immunization cancer. A deadly form, rarely survived, and directly linked to where they get vaccines. She was young and healthy, survived a huge surgery and is a rare success story. I fear vaccines ..in my critters and my grand babies. Educate yourself..take nothing more than required.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
After what happened to chum with his last rabies vaccine the vet said he's not required to get anymore . He now has a medical exception.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We get the 3 year rabies since we have no choice. But when they're seniors, I'll ask for
an exempt letter as we prefer not to give them vacs in those years.

But for the rest, Stigs and Punks got their puppy shots and that's all we're choosing to give them. Instead, they get checked annually for hw, and titres every 2 years. And since Punks will be 6 soon, he'll also get a blood test done annually to check his kidney function and such.

I'm glad that this is what our vet recommends as well. Their daycare also accepts vac free pooches.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.