Walking Bullies in the Summer?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Tilly and I currently waiting for it to cool down a bit to go on our walk. It's 5PM and 90 degrees. Sigh.

How do you guys get around the heat and make sure your bullies get their exercise?

WilmasMom

Jul 4, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
I've taken her to Pet Smart to see all her friends and get some exercise up and down the isles, she loves it there and they love her!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We are fortunate to live behind a trail with a river, and there is a lot of shade, we go down early in the morning, after their breakfast, and we let them go for a 15 minute run, during the day we only take them out every 4 or 5 hours just to pee, and then in the evening before we go to bed, usually around 10 pm, we go for a walk around the block. We have used the playroom at Petsmart a couple of times.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I wish I had some where I could take Sheldon for him to get his exercise

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Too hot out!! Maybe the kitchen with vanilla ice cream and the air blasting at 69!!!:D

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
We usually do an extra day of daycare (they have air conditioning and play inside on these hot days) and the boys wear Guinness out inside with a laser pointer, the steps, and a bean bag..I will try to post a video of it tomorrow :) Walks are early and short or late and short. ANd same days we just do what Guinness does....lay around and enjoy the dog days of summer!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
On weekends, we go very early in the morning...like by 7am or earlier if possible. Otherwise, I wait til evening; if it's still too warm tho, we just skip the walk and I play with them inside the AC'd home. I like the idea of walking in Pet Smart too.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
We walk our dogs around 6am then walk them around 8pm if its still hot we usually let them play in the kiddie pool and spray them down with the hose. I also carry a spray bottle with ice cold water and a drink bottle. Here is a link to the water bottle I use and the carrier http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050ICOLK/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VA9510/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The water bottle is great I fill it up and put it in the fridge and take it out when we leave for our walk.

mbd963

May 12, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ramsay
We're having that problem here in Ontario too.. feels like 33 (91) already and it's 6:50am. I make sure I play with him lots in our nice air conditioned house... not worth the risk taking him for a walk when it's SO hot and humid outside. I would rather skip a day of exercise than have something happen outside.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
For me we go hang in the back yard. I have a good amount of shade from all the trees I planted 8 years ago. When I do take them for a walk it's early in the morning on the weekends. Other than that we play house ball.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We mostly play inside the house and spend the minimum amount of time outside on hot days.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Here is southern NJ today, the "real feel" temp is going to be over 100 degrees. So Dudley gets a walk at 6 am and at 7 or 8 pm -- short though. I have a water bottle I carry with me too. In between...he runs outside in the yard to tinkle. I am fortunate that the yard is pretty shady after about 1pm. Weather really has been stinko here for our bullies. I let him play with his jolly ball and frisbees for just a few minutes after dinner too. Sometimes, I push the coffee table back and walk him up and down the living room on his leash, working on his commands. He likes that too. I honestly never thought about a walk at PetSmart. That's a good idea, although I hate taking him out and putting him in the hot car. :bitching:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I've avoided taking Ruthie walking in this heat even at night time. What I have been doing is dipping her in our pool and then letting her run around the yard chasing a ball, or just standing on the side of the pool to bark at us. We will play with the hose or put her in her pool float to keep her cool.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We honestly don't walk often anyhow so not a problem here. They get enough exercise playing and I only let them play outside early mornings before the heat. Can use a treadmill if you have one. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online