is this typical bulldog behavior?

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
my 7 month old Ernie thinks he is the patroller of all evil, king of the block, the one who needs to sound the alarm. Is this normal?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
My Ruthie does the same thing. I call her neighborhood watch. She's always on patrol if she's out front and even goes to make sure when people come home, she's there in their driveway by their car doors to make sure all is well. If a different car comes down the street...watch out, Ruthie is on it. lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some are more 'mouthy' than others.... my girl, Banks, yep she would be one... bark, bark, bark, bark, bark. My Frenchie never barks unless he is playing. My other bully that passed, he also never barked unless something was truly amiss.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I think it is an individual dog thing. I've had dogs who barked at the slightest shadow, sound etc and dogs that were quiet.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea isn't mouthy unless she wants to play and her human or kitty brudder are not paying attention to her.

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
My Ella is very alert. Keeps her eyes on everything and everyone. Won't let me too far out of her sight, if I sit on the ground outside she has to come sit right next to me untill everything checks out, and no danger is present lol Shes almost 6 months old. She also barks at things that I can't hear lol

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
This is very normal. Ernie is becoming a grownup. He is realizing that he has the ability to change things in his environment. His world no longer revolves around his crate, his toys and his backyard. He has discovered the world!

My suggestion to help maintain your sanity is to teach him bark no bark. Using treats like you did to teach sit. Teach him to bark on command. Then teach him no bark. That way you have a way to get him to stop barking when someone comes to the door etc. Others who are much better versed on behavior and puppies will be along to give you some more ideas I'm sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.