Health insurance

WilmasMom

Jul 4, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Hello everyone! My baby Wilma is 4 months old in perfect health. Wondering if I should get health insurance for her? And if so, what one do you all recommend ? Is there one geared towards BD's?
thank you,
Erin

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have two bullys with insurances. One 2y8m and the other just 8m. The older one has maxed out his insurance one year, but the younger one hasn't. Now they are both in good health, but like with yourself...you never know...And from what I've read, you pay a LOT more for your vets than we do and I think ours are ripping us off...Can't recommend any, since we're in Finland....

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Knock wood, Dudley has been very, very healthy. But I got health insurance for him almost as soon as I got him because bullies typically have a lot of issues. I went with PetPlan -- because they are local (in Philadelphia) and I have a bit of a connection with them. I've not had to use it...but I'm glad it's there if I do!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would! Yuna is 3 years old and one obstruction surgery and diagnosis was equal to over that amount in insurance. Wish I would've had it for her!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It is a personal choice. We carry Trupanion on Harlea and hope we never have to use it but it is there if we need it. There are several out there along with things like CareCredit that you can look in to and make a choice based upon your needs and personal feelings. Is it required? No. Does it provide piece of mind? Yes.

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
I have two bullys with insurances. One 2y8m and the other just 8m. The older one has maxed out his insurance one year, but the younger one hasn't. Now they are both in good health, but like with yourself...you never know...And from what I've read, you pay a LOT more for your vets than we do and I think ours are ripping us off...Can't recommend any, since we're in Finland....

Oh my goodness! I didn't realise you live in Finland. I have a sister who lives in Sweden. She's an entertainer and occasionally gigs in Helsinki. Look out for her, her name is Tania Doko.

OP
WilmasMom

WilmasMom

Jul 4, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Thank you all for your input. Are all the big ones like VPI and trupanion pretty much the same coverage? Yes it will be peace of mind for sure...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Coverage varies. Some have per year limits but others don't. As well as not all plans cover the same things so you have to look for a plan that suits you needs.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Welcome to EBN, I would definitely recommend Insurance I wasn't insured and Ftse had a cherry eye op and it cost me three times what the insurance premium was and I say the earlier you get it the better.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's definitely a personal choice and a financial choice. The thing with pet insurance insurance, just like ours, is if you have it and your pet has something major happen than it can be a money saver. With pet insurance you still have to fork out the money to the vet (they don't bill your insurance company, you do). But depending on the coverage you select, you can get most of it back. That being said, I had pet insurance with Jack with VPI with a $200 deductible. He got really sick and nearly died 2 years ago when he was 6 months old. He had Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD) = rapid bone growth. for a $3000 bill they paid $300 I think (I'd have to go back and look at my post (it's in the Other Pets section). Get this, they paid for the Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy but only that!! Not what it took to cure him, including medications, iv's hospital or the vets' charges. They are "line item" insurance so be very careful with the coverage you select and know exactly what's covered and what's not. VPI was kind enough for pay for is feeding tube that he had him in for 4.5 days.....NICE huh.

I now have Go Pet Plan and absolutely love them. I haven't had anything major happen but they've been prompt and their people are friendly on the phone. I'm actually considering cancelling it now for all three of mine since overall they're pretty healthy. Just can't seem to pull the plug yet. So getting a good pet insurance can save you hundreds if not thousands and give you that peace of mind if the the worst happens and you'll more than likely be reimbursed v. being out the $$ if you don't have it.

Last edited:

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I bought insurance for bulldog when I first got him at 3mo. It was $65/mo with $50 deductible with Trupanion. Once he turned 1year old, Trupanion increased the monthly premium to $85/mo with $50 deductible. I decided to cancel once it jumped by 33%. I surely didn't expect it to jump that high. Insurance did come in handy the first year, as my puppy got double cherry eye tuck surgery. That alone cost near $2000 w/o office costs. So I got my money's worth.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We have Petsecure for both our guys. They have different levels that you can purchase. We put both on level 4, the puppy wellness plan for their first year, because it covers all the puppy stuff like first puppy exams, stool samples, vaccinations, spay/neuter surgeries. It also covers $50,000 for surgeries and illness, as well as $50,000 for any accidents such as motor vehicle accidents, and other accidents. We had all the puppy stuff done, and Blossom developed cherry eye in both eyes at 5 months, so when she was spayed at 7 months we had her eyes repaired. Bulldozer has only had neuter surgery, but he hurt his back paw when we first brought him home, and required X-rays, medication, and follow up check up, he has swallowed socks twice, and a dish cloth, for which he has been able to pass, but one sock did make him sick, and he needed IV, medication for pain, and laxatives to help him pass it, we almost had to go to surgery which would have cost about $5,000. There are other things it covers such as alternative treatments, and behaviour, etc. the puppy wellness level cost $125 a month, which more than paid for itself in their first year. After they turned one we dropped down to level 3 and now pay $55 a month. It still covers the $50,000 for accidents and illnesses as level 4, and the alternative and behaviour therapies, annual vaccinations, and exams. I'm not familiar with which insurance you have in the USA, but you do have Petsecure, and Trupanion. I was given 3 different pamphlets from my vet when I first brought them, and they recommended Petsecure because they said the coverage was good and for the ease of claims. They place the money directly into your bank account, and are pretty quick in processing the claim, and they cover 80%. I recommend insurance because you have a lot of expenses for the first year with all the puppy exams, vaccinations, etc, plush you never know what will come up with your baby, or what accident can happen, and the vet bills can be really expensive, so any coverage helps with the bills.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We have Petsecure for both our guys. They have different levels that you can purchase. We put both on level 4, the puppy wellness plan for their first year, because it covers all the puppy stuff like first puppy exams, stool samples, vaccinations, spay/neuter surgeries. It also covers $50,000 for surgeries and illness, as well as $50,000 for any accidents such as motor vehicle accidents, and other accidents. We had all the puppy stuff done, and Blossom developed cherry eye in both eyes at 5 months, so when she was spayed at 7 months we had her eyes repaired. Bulldozer has only had neuter surgery, but he hurt his back paw when we first brought him home, and required X-rays, medication, and follow up check up, he has swallowed socks twice, and a dish cloth, for which he has been able to pass, but one sock did make him sick, and he needed IV, medication for pain, and laxatives to help him pass it, we almost had to go to surgery which would have cost about $5,000. There are other things it covers such as alternative treatments, and behaviour, etc. the puppy wellness level cost $125 a month, which more than paid for itself in their first year. After they turned one we dropped down to level 3 and now pay $55 a month. It still covers the $50,000 for accidents and illnesses as level 4, and the alternative and behaviour therapies, annual vaccinations, and exams. I'm not familiar with which insurance you have in the USA, but you do have Petsecure, and Trupanion. I was given 3 different pamphlets from my vet when I first brought them, and they recommended Petsecure because they said the coverage was good and for the ease of claims. They place the money directly into your bank account, and are pretty quick in processing the claim, and they cover 80%. I recommend insurance because you have a lot of expenses for the first year with all the puppy exams, vaccinations, etc, plush you never know what will come up with your baby, or what accident can happen, and the vet bills can be really expensive, so any coverage helps with the bills.

we use petsecure as well, level 2, so we have no wellness coverage but they did cover about 3000 of our 4000 bill for tooth extraction and palate surgery earlier this year. our deductible is 500, and they pay 80% up to 2500 per condition/accident/disease PER YEAR. per year is really important, in case a long term issue arises. I'm glad we have it. our policy costs about 50/month.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
We have trupanion for both of our boys. Havent had to use it yet (knock on wood) but if something should happen I know we would pretty much bankrupt ourselves trying to make them better. We have the $200 deductible for Fergus and $1000 deductible for our lab

Most Reactions