Exercise and feedings--How much time between?

kokxy

Jun 28, 2013
Aliso Viejo, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bauer
Just wanted to see what others do as far as exercise before or after eating. What is ideal time to wait to feed before or after exercise with these breed of dogs? I know larger dogs are more prone to stomach twist problems. I usually walk our dog for 20 minutes in evening and then 15 minutes later give her food. Not sure if this is ideal or should I wait longer in between. Thanks for looking. Aaron

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Fifteen or 20 minutes after their walk is usually the amount of time I also wait til I feed my boys their meals. I'm not sure what the "right" answer is though but this seems to work out well for them. If I walk them after they eat, I will wait longer, like 30 minutes to allow them to digest their food.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you got good advice above, and I do the same as Henny, I usually wait about 20 mins.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
With Harlea if she just had a good play session we try to keep her calm for about 30 minutes before we feed her. As we feed her in her crate we give her 20 to 30 minutes to let her food settle before letting her come out and start playing again.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Same here w Brie. About 20 with walking. I do wait almost an hour before or after play tho.

OP
kokxy

kokxy

Jun 28, 2013
Aliso Viejo, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bauer
Thanks for the heads up on this. I have heard from other dog owners in area that wait 30min, hour and some no time in between. Just want to see what consensus might be for EB owners.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I read somewhere when I was searching for answers on why Meekos stomach always gurgles/rumbles that your supposed to leave it an hour after food and water before exercise and an hour after exercise for food etc. I dont know how true it is though, meeko usually has food morning and evening with his walks late afternoon so its always a hour or so before his food anyway x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would think you are doing fine by waiting 20 minutes after the walk to feed. as far as after they eat, I would wait at least an hour.

Bullyproof

Apr 11, 2013
S. FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Kiah (Kee-aah)
Same here, it takes her about 15-25 min to settle down and stop panting. Once shes fully calm (she will usually lay down) I go over and fill her bowl and give it to her. After dinner is quiet time for an hour or so for her too. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with the others.... 15/20 mins to calm down before feeding and at least an hour after eating

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online