Overly Excited

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Hello all,
My Marly is great but like every dog there always something. She seems to get really excited whenever she see anyone. She gets infront of them and doesnt let them walk. She just flat out all over them. It is kind of embarrassing when people come over honeslty. Luckily shes a pretty pup so it balances out haha!!

I wanted to find out if someone has experienced this and if it is just a puppy phase (shes 5 1/2 months) or should I start some obedience training?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I am no help in this department cuz my boys get crazy when we have people over. They are trained in every other department for the most part but as soon as that doorbell rings I am in trouble and since we dont live near family and friends I dont really have a way to train them properly. I am sure there is a way but I dont know it. Your pup is adorable by the way!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I would def start some obediance training. You can do it yourself if you have the time. I am an adamit Dog Whisperer watcher and he has alot of great tips on how to curve that behavior. One thing you can do is when people come over have her on a training lead. before they come in tell her to sit and always reward for the good behavior(training treats are nice)when they come and she is sitting tell her to sit again. you can also have the guest come up to her after you get the first part down and direct her to sit with a (reward) eventually she will learn that if she sits that she will be rewarded therefore curbing the behavior. You can also do the laydown command for when they come in after you get sit learned. hope this helps

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Good advise gatorfan! I can't think of much more than except I know Caesar also suggests you have your guests ignore your pup until she calms down. What is it he says, no touch, no talk, no eye contact????

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] thats exactly what he says!!! I love him he really needs to join our group

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] as always. In my case tho we dont have enough visitors to "practice" I think is our problem. I do think I will leash the boys when we expect people tho from now on, cant hurt any thats for sure.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I had the same issue with Georgia who is 100lbs so she could potentially hurt someone when butt bumping them. I had a friedn come over so I could practice with her and now she sits or goes and lays down on the couch after we meet and great(stranger aggressive) thru the screen door. I have been so Happy with her since then becuase i can actually have people come in without her big butt pushing them into the corner or jumping on them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well there is hope for us then. My boys are nice and love everyone but boy do they wanna be the ones to say hello first and not everyone loves them as much as we do. ;)

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
sounds like great advise!!! hope your training goes well

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
We don't have much company either. We have family members in and out all the time, but Gertie and Ida know them well. So it's ME they attack when I come in. I can't take a step without triping over someone.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Great advice! Be consistent I think is very important, too! Hope it goes well!
[MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION] wouldnt that be awesome to have Caesar join, he was suppose to come to Ontario recently but he couldnt bring one of his dogs because he is a pitbull and there is a pitbull ban in Ontario...it was in the newspaper today!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.