The long and sad story about Pooh.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
It's 6:47 a.m; I couldn't sleep in. It's strange for me sometimes. I'll wake up fairly early with a feeling of dead. Some kind of anxiety. Most of the time I have no idea why. This time though, I woke up happy because we were home again with Remi.

We dropped Remi off at a fairly nice kennel on Saturday night. As we went through to put him in his spot, which the staff did a nice job of setting up with his bed and toys, the dogs barking as we went through really startled Remi. He was skittish and dare I say - afraid.

As I put him in his kennel, he definitely recognized his stuff and immediately sat in the bed. I felt better that he was finding some comfort. We left, and as soon as I walk out the door I'm crying like a baby. Then my husband starts crying (which consists of like 2 tears falling - but still).

We had a pretty awesome overnighter. I managed to pull myself together fairly quickly and "vacationing" ensued.

When we went to pick up Remi the very next day, around 7 p.m. or so, the room was packed. When the door opened, Remi immediately saw me and charged my legs. I don't know, maybe he smelled my perfume or something, but it was nice that he recognized me in a crowd. So, we took him to the car, got him home. He is pretty worked up at this point but not overly affectionate. He spends the car ride just looking out the back window, which is pretty typical.

This is where the weird part comes. He jumps out of my jeep and we take him out into the yard. We don't have a fence, so we always leash walk him. He immediately takes a #1 and a :poo: I was like huh, that's weird, you think they would have taken him out before I came, but I let it go. We bring him inside and within 5 minutes, and trying to take another :poo: on my floor. I say the usual NO and we run outside together. Here is where it gets bad.

For the next 30 minutes this dog is trying to :poo:. Total constipation. He eventually managed to :poo: like 6 times (small). It started off small and a little too firm, and then it got much softer later. The part that was so rough was that he was running around, going nuts, rolling around on the ground, trying to get to his butt, and it's almost like he was experiencing cramps or something. I called the kennel and they said he did go :poo: while he was there. We rode it out and within an hour he wanted to go back inside - totally rare - I cleaned him up and we all hung out for the rest of the night on the couch. I just stroked his fur for an hour and a half straight before bed. He slept.

The dog has no issues :poo: on my floor when he really has to go, so I find it hard to believe he wouldn't :poo: at the kennel. So what was this episode? Nerves? Stress? Has anyone experienced this? Remi turns 1 in 5 days. We've never been a part since he was 14 weeks.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I'm thinking it was probably stress. He was out of his normal routine at the kennel and may not have pooped in his normal way. May have been overexcited while there and not as relaxed. I know when I am away from home for a few days and overnights it affects my digestion and potty habits as well. And I'm sure for the same reason, out of normal routine.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excitement can also stimulate the bowels, he was probably so very excited to see you!!! This caused him to poo when he normally wouldn't have.

I remember the first time I took baby on a longer walk than normal. She pooped 4 times. I didn't bring enough bags to pick it up, that's why I remember it so clearly even though it was over 10 years ago. I had to go back after the walk to clean it up! This is when I found out that the exercise and excitement stimulated her bowels.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
there have been many stories posted here of strange behaviour when the animal is picked up from the kennel after being there either for a short or long stay. he may not have ate or drank much while there. probably was not exercised like he would be at home. depression and such also. my gf at work her dogs wont eat hardly at all while boarded. i would not worry bout it he will be back to normal in a few days. i would get plenty of fluids in him to help him go. also perhaps some pumpkin for a few days.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor remi, missed his parents! I know my pups don't eat as much when we r gone so that along with everything else probably explains it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above. Any change in their regular routine can affect their eating, sleeping and normal potty habits. They can become constipated or have diarrhea. In April we went to Jamaica for a week and we boarded our two for the very first time, and when we picked them up they were so excited to see us, they were jumping up and bums were wagging, when we got home Blossom was fine, but Dozer who is my more sensitive guy had a few episodes of soft mushy poops that whole day. I called the kennel and asked If he had any problems with diarrhea while he was there, and they said no, and that it was probably just stress and excitement as any change in the routine can cause this. He was fine the next day and after sleeping most of the first day at home. Totally back to normal.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
We've never been a part since he was 14 weeks.[/QUOTE said:
This is the reason why in my opinion too...

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Bulldogs in particular don't seem to like change.

HRH won't eat drink or potty (except the nervous :poo: she will sometimes have) anywhere but home. We have taken long (4 day) weekend trips in the past and it was day 3 before she would eat, and I had to pour water in her mouth to get her to start drinking, and she did not potty for 3 days. We kept her with us the whole time.

Im already noticing some reactions from Amy that show me she could end up being just as bad.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm thinking the stress from being in the kennel and away from you. We do not kennel out bullies, too many horror stories, and some have died down here because of careless kennel employees who left them out in the heat. We have an excellent pet sitter close to our home who we use. This way our babies stay home and he comes over to let them out several times a day and feeds them also. Sometimes when his niece is available she will house sit and take care of them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
away from home, change, no Momma or daddy, strange place.... stress and/or over excitement like all the others have said.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Awww poor Remi. We went away this weekend as well but we left Tubbs with my brother and even though he knows my brother he still got into a little depression mode.

These bullies seem to be extra sensitive to change. Even when we moved his water bowl he would NOT drink a lick of water until we moved it back

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe Poor Remi! Lots of snuggles and loves should put him to rights again. I know now I made the right decision to just take ours with us. If we can't take him in some where my husband or I will stay with him.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh poor Remi missed his mummy and daddy, glad everything is back to normal now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Some times when we go to the store and come back an hour later the dog reacts to us walking in the door like he hasn't seen us in days. What must go through their little heads? To be in a strange place over night with parents not around must be so distressful. He was on Poo strike until his demands were met.

Most Reactions