Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 19

Thread: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Red face Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    So sorry that this is so long overdue, but as some of you know, I have a heart problem that causes fainting and at 8wks old, I began training Tilly to alert me my fainting several minutes prior.

    She was successful, and has been doing it since 5 months old (last November). It is nothing short of a miracle, since my condition has to do with blood pressure (which doesn't release a smell, like seizures or blood sugar do). My doctor has told me that he wants me to publish my work with Tilly, but I just don't know how to go about doing it.

    I think I want to write a book, not a "how-to", because it IS a rarity, but more so, here's what I did and yeah, it worked. I want to get this information out so that people realize there are so many wonderful alternatives to medication, and in my case, solutions to incurable problems.

    Would you read a book about this? Do you know where I should look to go about publishing this sort of thing?

    And also, for anyone in the southern California/Los Angeles area, Matilda is now a year old and although she's been in obedience training since 8 wks old, I feel that we've exhausted everything we can get from her current trainer. She did not go to a service dog specific training school because they teach tasks that are unnecessary for what she is doing (I just needed a heart monitor, not a dog that uses ATMs and does laundry). She is very obedient, but because I do want to eventually use her everywhere, I realize that we need to find a more advanced trainer. I'm not looking for a drop-off-the-dog kind of trainer, but one that will teach me how to teach her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    congratulations on coming this far, it's amazing what the love of a bully can do. I hope someone comes along a gives you the answers to these questions, I'm just a well wisher. yea, I'd probably read the book
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  3. #3
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    congratulations on coming this far, it's amazing what the love of a bully can do. I hope someone comes along a gives you the answers to these questions, I'm just a well wisher. yea, I'd probably read the book
    Thank you! And you know Sherry, that is exactly it. Our training worked because Tilly cared that I was sick. It's all about the bond!

  4. #4
    ..........
    Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    8,495
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    I'd read a book like that too. But can only be a well wisher and can't answer the questions about a publisher or trainer either. Best of luck to you and Tllly though. Sounds like an awesome bond you have.

  5. #5
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    So sorry that this is so long overdue, but as some of you know, I have a heart problem that causes fainting and at 8wks old, I began training Tilly to alert me my fainting several minutes prior.

    She was successful, and has been doing it since 5 months old (last November). It is nothing short of a miracle, since my condition has to do with blood pressure (which doesn't release a smell, like seizures or blood sugar do). My doctor has told me that he wants me to publish my work with Tilly, but I just don't know how to go about doing it.

    I think I want to write a book, not a "how-to", because it IS a rarity, but more so, here's what I did and yeah, it worked. I want to get this information out so that people realize there are so many wonderful alternatives to medication, and in my case, solutions to incurable problems.

    Would you read a book about this? Do you know where I should look to go about publishing this sort of thing?

    And also, for anyone in the southern California/Los Angeles area, Matilda is now a year old and although she's been in obedience training since 8 wks old, I feel that we've exhausted everything we can get from her current trainer. She did not go to a service dog specific training school because they teach tasks that are unnecessary for what she is doing (I just needed a heart monitor, not a dog that uses ATMs and does laundry). She is very obedient, but because I do want to eventually use her everywhere, I realize that we need to find a more advanced trainer. I'm not looking for a drop-off-the-dog kind of trainer, but one that will teach me how to teach her. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Yes i would read it, I think it's pretty incredible that you have a Bulldog who is able to do that for you. Have you Googled info for L.A. publishing/publishers? and training? I'm sure there is a ton of info on there. If not I'm sure I could check it out for you I know there's a couple of highly rated dog training places by me in the valley.

  6. #6
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by pdolphin27 View Post
    Yes i would read it, I think it's pretty incredible that you have a Bulldog who is able to do that for you. Have you Googled info for L.A. publishing/publishers? and training? I'm sure there is a ton of info on there. If not I'm sure I could check it out for you I know there's a couple of highly rated dog training places by me in the valley.
    I actually may be moving to the valley soon! I've been looking but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with some awesome trainers. One trainer I talked to was shocked that I taught a bully to alert me because, and I quote, "bulldogs are so slow and dumb". Needless to say, that ended our conversation.

  7. #7
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    I actually may be moving to the valley soon! I've been looking but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with some awesome trainers. One trainer I talked to was shocked that I taught a bully to alert me because, and I quote, "bulldogs are so slow and dumb". Needless to say, that ended our conversation.
    I cant tell you how many people think that way !!! I have not had any experience with them but maybe someone else has. If you go with book let me know and I'll be first in line!!

  8. #8
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Wow, this is really awesome! I have no help as far as the book but it is very interesting! Sounds like you have obviously done a wonderful job training her. Heck mine just do the basics. Lol

  9. #9
    Dog Park Attendant hnhammond's Avatar
    Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    471
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Wow, this is really awesome! I have no help as far as the book but it is very interesting! Sounds like you have obviously done a wonderful job training her. Heck mine just do the basics. Lol
    You know, she picked up pretty quickly that something was wrong with me, and after that it was really easy. Obedience training is MUCH harder! hahaha

  10. #10
    ..........
    Real Name
    Jenn
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    0
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    You know, she picked up pretty quickly that something was wrong with me, and after that it was really easy. Obedience training is MUCH harder! hahaha
    The connection you have obviously is the key here.

  11. #11
    Pooper scooper SquareDog's Avatar
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    40
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Loupotamus
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Long Overdue Service Bully Update

    You could share some of the pieces of the story here to test out what might work. I'd love to read a first hand account of the bond between the two of you. If it's a scientific piece, then i'd probably read something article size.

    My advice, if you do want to write something, start now. Set aside 15 minutes each day and start telling your story, in your words!

    What a wonderful thing you two share!
    Check out my blog about my adventures to get a children's book about my bulldog published: www.SquareDogRoundWorld.com! You can see pictures of Lou there too!

  12. #12
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    I am of no help but would like to say how inspiring your story is. I would definitely read your book!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •