Long Overdue Service Bully Update

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
So sorry that this is so long overdue, but as some of you know, I have a heart problem that causes fainting and at 8wks old, I began training Tilly to alert me my fainting several minutes prior.

She was successful, and has been doing it since 5 months old (last November). It is nothing short of a miracle, since my condition has to do with blood pressure (which doesn't release a smell, like seizures or blood sugar do). My doctor has told me that he wants me to publish my work with Tilly, but I just don't know how to go about doing it.

I think I want to write a book, not a "how-to", because it IS a rarity, but more so, here's what I did and yeah, it worked. I want to get this information out so that people realize there are so many wonderful alternatives to medication, and in my case, solutions to incurable problems.

Would you read a book about this? Do you know where I should look to go about publishing this sort of thing?

And also, for anyone in the southern California/Los Angeles area, Matilda is now a year old and although she's been in obedience training since 8 wks old, I feel that we've exhausted everything we can get from her current trainer. She did not go to a service dog specific training school because they teach tasks that are unnecessary for what she is doing (I just needed a heart monitor, not a dog that uses ATMs and does laundry). She is very obedient, but because I do want to eventually use her everywhere, I realize that we need to find a more advanced trainer. I'm not looking for a drop-off-the-dog kind of trainer, but one that will teach me how to teach her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
congratulations on coming this far, it's amazing what the love of a bully can do. I hope someone comes along a gives you the answers to these questions, I'm just a well wisher. yea, I'd probably read the book

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
congratulations on coming this far, it's amazing what the love of a bully can do. I hope someone comes along a gives you the answers to these questions, I'm just a well wisher. yea, I'd probably read the book

Thank you! And you know Sherry, that is exactly it. Our training worked because Tilly cared that I was sick. It's all about the bond!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'd read a book like that too. But can only be a well wisher and can't answer the questions about a publisher or trainer either. Best of luck to you and Tllly though. Sounds like an awesome bond you have.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So sorry that this is so long overdue, but as some of you know, I have a heart problem that causes fainting and at 8wks old, I began training Tilly to alert me my fainting several minutes prior.

She was successful, and has been doing it since 5 months old (last November). It is nothing short of a miracle, since my condition has to do with blood pressure (which doesn't release a smell, like seizures or blood sugar do). My doctor has told me that he wants me to publish my work with Tilly, but I just don't know how to go about doing it.

I think I want to write a book, not a "how-to", because it IS a rarity, but more so, here's what I did and yeah, it worked. I want to get this information out so that people realize there are so many wonderful alternatives to medication, and in my case, solutions to incurable problems.

Would you read a book about this? Do you know where I should look to go about publishing this sort of thing?

And also, for anyone in the southern California/Los Angeles area, Matilda is now a year old and although she's been in obedience training since 8 wks old, I feel that we've exhausted everything we can get from her current trainer. She did not go to a service dog specific training school because they teach tasks that are unnecessary for what she is doing (I just needed a heart monitor, not a dog that uses ATMs and does laundry). She is very obedient, but because I do want to eventually use her everywhere, I realize that we need to find a more advanced trainer. I'm not looking for a drop-off-the-dog kind of trainer, but one that will teach me how to teach her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes i would read it, I think it's pretty incredible that you have a Bulldog who is able to do that for you. Have you Googled info for L.A. publishing/publishers? and training? I'm sure there is a ton of info on there. If not I'm sure I could check it out for you I know there's a couple of highly rated dog training places by me in the valley.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yes i would read it, I think it's pretty incredible that you have a Bulldog who is able to do that for you. Have you Googled info for L.A. publishing/publishers? and training? I'm sure there is a ton of info on there. If not I'm sure I could check it out for you I know there's a couple of highly rated dog training places by me in the valley.

I actually may be moving to the valley soon! I've been looking but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with some awesome trainers. One trainer I talked to was shocked that I taught a bully to alert me because, and I quote, "bulldogs are so slow and dumb". Needless to say, that ended our conversation.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I actually may be moving to the valley soon! I've been looking but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with some awesome trainers. One trainer I talked to was shocked that I taught a bully to alert me because, and I quote, "bulldogs are so slow and dumb". Needless to say, that ended our conversation.

I cant tell you how many people think that way :cursing:!!! I have not had any experience with them but maybe someone else has. If you go with book let me know and I'll be first in line!! ;)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow, this is really awesome! I have no help as far as the book but it is very interesting! Sounds like you have obviously done a wonderful job training her. Heck mine just do the basics. Lol

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Wow, this is really awesome! I have no help as far as the book but it is very interesting! Sounds like you have obviously done a wonderful job training her. Heck mine just do the basics. Lol

You know, she picked up pretty quickly that something was wrong with me, and after that it was really easy. Obedience training is MUCH harder! hahaha

SquareDog

Mar 10, 2013
Philadelphia
Bulldog(s) Names
Loupotamus
You could share some of the pieces of the story here to test out what might work. I'd love to read a first hand account of the bond between the two of you. If it's a scientific piece, then i'd probably read something article size.

My advice, if you do want to write something, start now. Set aside 15 minutes each day and start telling your story, in your words!

What a wonderful thing you two share!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am of no help but would like to say how inspiring your story is. I would definitely read your book!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION] - the fact that you have a doctor's involvement to substantiate your claim is key to the success of your book. Does your doctor want to publish a paper on it to share with his colleagues? (medical journal or something) That would help too. You want to be able to prove what's occurred.

Just writing a book is one thing; you want people to read it -- and, most importantly, buy it --- too. You can always self publish but getting a publisher would mean more exposure to your book. I wonder if the AKC or another dog organization (what's that one that certifies Service Dogs?) has access to a publisher -- you know, through contract or something? Something to consider. E-books are another way. I heard a piece on NPR yesterday about novellas and other short books never making it to print and going straight to e-book -- maybe another route? Regardless, eventually you and your pup need to make appearances and pimp your book! How will Tilly do on a set with cameras and lights? :D Wouldn't that be fanTASTIC!!!???

I think its fascinating and I myself read anything about EBs! You want to move beyond that niche market though! Maybe you could co-write it with an author already writing best selling books about dogs? Another route perhaps?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)

First of all, that's incredibly amazing. I think something like this could really open the doors for a lot of people.

You basically have 2 ways of publishing. You can find someone to publish it for you (you have less control over the end product, but you aren't paying) or you can self publish. (More expensive but you control everything.) I have a good friend who I worked for before I decided to start my own design biz, who actually designs the chicken soup for the soup books and can walk someone through the entire step of self publishing, and then he will design, lay out the book, and get you setup with a printer, etc. Pretty much the whole process if you choose the latter of the 2 publishing options. Let me know if you are interested and I can DM you the info.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think a book would be wonderful! If not a book.... then a blog with photos, weekly stories, ect. would be awesome too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online