Puppy Supplies Questions

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Hey, I am expecting my new puppy to arrive this week and am searching through amazon to order items, and there are a few questions I have.

Crate
I picked a midwest life stages 36 in crate? Is that adequate?

Pee Pads
Any particular brand or size?

Collar & Harness
I want to buy a collar (for show and easy trips outside) and harness, but I am not sure what kind to get, or what size for a puppy.

Bed
Should I buy a dog bed? If so, should it be able to fit in the crate?

Any other tips and advice on stuff to buy beforehand, is appreciated. I've already looked at the 35 must have items list, but if there are any other must haves for the first day, let me know!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey, I am expecting my new puppy to arrive this week and am searching through amazon to order items, and there are a few questions I have.

Crate
I picked a midwest life stages 36 in crate? Is that adequate?

Pee Pads
Any particular brand or size?

Collar & Harness
I want to buy a collar (for show and easy trips outside) and harness, but I am not sure what kind to get, or what size for a puppy.

Bed
Should I buy a dog bed? If so, should it be able to fit in the crate?

Any other tips and advice on stuff to buy beforehand, is appreciated. I've already looked at the 35 must have items list, but if there are any other must haves for the first day, let me know!

Crate - yep! 36' or 42' is good size, be sure it has a divider for crate training

collar/harrness -- I really like RedDingo collar/leash... harness, will depend on the type you want. Step in, no pull, etc. Some here like the Kong harness

piddle pads, I can't help -- sorry never used them.

Dog bed.... they all have one, but some (Banks...) never liked them. Crate pad is good or an old towel

GOOD LUCK!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Make sure you have some large or extra large size NylaBones and a large size KONG, maybe a Jolly ball with teaser ball inside. Puppies like to chew and play!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Congrats :)

Crate size: a 36 should be fine all of mine have 36 in crates.

Puppy pads didnt really use them unless I was using the puppy pen then I would put them at one end of them. I usually buy mine at a local pet store but you can buy them any where.

I use a blanket or towel in there crates it is easier to wash if the have a accident in them. I usually buy the cheap fleece ones from a walmart.

Now beds I have them in just about every room of the house lol but then again I have 4 bullies.
I usually buy my beds from costco they are large and a good price and they wash really nice.

As far as collars I dont use them so I am no help there sorry.

When there real small I buy harness for them to get them used to a lead but most of the leashes I have are slip leads that I have bought at different shows.

You may want to look at some dog shows for a good show lead and it will depend on what the pup seems to like I have one that likes a martingale style lead and one that likes a slip type chain lead.

And lots of toys to chew on I try to stay away from anything that looks like socks or shoes just so they dont chew on mine lol
These guys all like the kongs and nylabones, robes that they can tug on and swing around are good to.

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
For a new little puppy, I would buy a cheap nylon collar with the plastic snap buckle. Easy to take on and off when you need and not a big waste of money when your baby outgrows it. I bought a bed for Agnes but when I put it in her crate, she peed on it, so that didn't last. She's 7 months now tho and can sleep in bedwith me, no accidents.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Crate size is good!
I never used wee wee pads- you are doing double training- teaching them to go on the pad, then eventually taking the pads away and somehow making them understand it is not ok to go in the house. We got Bogey at 8 weeks and took him out every 20-30 minutes during the day and we have very few accidents. When we did, it was because I did not pay attention to his signals. I would start outside training from the start. As for the shots issue- as long as you keep him contained to one area of your yard, and the trip outdoors is short and for potty purposes, he will be fine.
Get lots of chew toys- nylabones, freezer chew toys, balls, etc.
Collar/harness: I just bought a small clip collar at first, and when he could finally go out strolling in the neighborhood after his shots were complete, we went to Petco and tried on various harnesses.
Have fun and post lots of pictures for us to see!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.