With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
My neighbors have been "testing" out thier illegal fireworks this week and Gypsy will stand at the front door and bark and bark! I'm nervous about the 4th since my city allows legal fireworks. Should I take her outside on her leash that night? Or distract her in the back room?

What do you do with you bully on the 4th? How does he/she react to fireworks?

Thanks,
Ami

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
bella hides under the bed she also doesnt like the sound of guns. :pouting:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We dont have 4th July celebrations heer butwe do have our Bonfirenight in November whe we have around a week of firework noises.
We close the curtains and turn up the TV. Billy wore a tight hoody last year and coped really well. Lucy has gotten better as she's got older with just a little barking at the bangs when she is in the yard.

Over all its not been too bad for us...I find that the less fuss you make of them when they get scared the better. if you dont react , they calm down quick enough xx

hahahaha you don't celebrate our independence from you? Bacon is well versed in the way of fireworks being that his Dad is a pyro with a large stash.

MariaRosa

Jan 6, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Bulldog(s) Names
Sofia
Bella loves fireworks ! She sits next to me and watches them ! The first time she panicked but I ignored the behavior and now she's fine ! It's cute to watch her look at the fireworks :)

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
It is the Canada long weekend here and there are fireworks already (I live rural, so they're allowed on holiday weekends). I have learned well that fireworks are brutal for Wilbur and Layla. They really freak out.
We stay in the basement and watch a loud movie, especially Canada Day. The other brutal holiday for fireworks here is Victoria Day (May long weekend). I am really dreading it, which is too bad because instead of going anywhere we stay home to help them through the panic. I honestly worry they will over-heat they get so frantic.

I know that shelter and rescues are very busy on these holidays - a lot of dogs spook with fireworks and will take off, dig under their fences, yank the leash of your hand or wriggle completely out of it. I would recommend keeping all pets inside, especially if this would be their first exposure to fireworks and you don't know how they will react..... but that's just me :yes:

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
If Colossus handles it anything like thunder its going to be an interesting evening for me. He will hear it, wait a second, bark a bit, then walk nervously, come back to spot bark more, then sit down next to the couch to let me pet him.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My city doesn't allow fireworks but that doesn't mean people won't be shooting them off. I already heard a firecracker or two going off this week, plus the Rose Bowl does a big fireworks show which is always festive and loud. But, to address your question, I'm planning to be home w/the boys during the evening hours of the 4th. They go a little nuts too and I don't want them stuck in their crates, barking and freaked out. I like the idea of turning up the TV or music and hoping the fireworks sounds will just drown out.

I agree with you, [MENTION=5605]Momma2Bullies[/MENTION], the day after the 4th of July is known to be one of the busiest days EVER for animal shelters!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
The ladies don't really have a big problem with fireworks. Liz will bark a bit and look uncomfortable. I'll say something like, "Whassyat?" Thereby acknowledging that she heard something, but not making a big deal over it. It also lets her know that I am right there, no worries.

I would not take your dog out for a walk that evening though. Be cool! Everyone, just be cool! (Do I sound like Samuel L Jackson?)

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Haha, there are only 5 possible cities you live in if the fireworks are legal:p Unfortunately, my hubby and I ALWAYS have to work on July 4th, so we enlist my parents to come and stay at our house. They have 2 dogs and the distraction is good for Koozer, even though he never seems to mind loud noises (like the nightly fireworks from Disneyland). Bottom line is, no matter where you go, there with be fireworks/foiecrackers that night (legal or not), so I like the idea of staying in and trying to drown out the noise with the TV. Good luck, but you never know, you may find your bully does just fine after all:tongue:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I can't speak for Harlea yet, but on my other dog I put on her Thundershirt and she seems to calm down a bit. Without it she is pacing and whining all night. As for Harlea we will find out next week being that we are going to be at a friends house and she is going with us so I will be keeping an eye on her inside his house as we will have her travel crate and a Thundershirt for her with us as well.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba (Bullie) wasn't with us last 4th but we had a loud thunderstorm one night recently and even though it was loud and lasted over 30 minutes, WB snored his way through it and didn't give two hoots about it.
Shadow (Das Yorkie) on the other hand, has never dealt very well with anything loud like thunder and he has s[ent many 4th's with me laying on top of his shaking wee-ness ... not his momma mind you, he comes to me for protection for some odd reason.
I guess we will see how they both react, but WB usually takes the lead from Shadow so who knows.

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
We walk our dogs before dark so they are extra tired will sleep through the first part. Then we put their Thundershirts on them, close the drapes, turn on the music or TV louder than usual. We buy new exciting toys for that night and bring them out when the fireworks start and give them lots of treats. They love that our focus is on them completely and we usually survive the night without to much trauma. This years we don't have to worry about it. Burn bans are in place so there are no fireworks allowed!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We give Banks Xanax.... she can not handle them. Hoping this year there are none near the new house

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.