With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank and Stella don't seem to mind when they are inside the house. I don't however let them stay outside in the yard unattended for any period of time during the week when fireworks are legal here. I don't want to take a chance on one of them getting freaked out by a boom and bolting.

The actual day of the 4th they eat early and potty early and we just call it an early night for them so they aren't outside while all the theatrics are going on! :)

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Thinking my boys need to buy their own, dang, I feed them, water them, walk them, bathe them, give them a roof to hang out under, let em shop Amazon, as Amazon always allows pets, and always will, I work hard for my money, thinking they should buy their own.....

On a lighter note, neither of my two kids like thunder, AT ALL !!! I'm off the 4th, but return to work the 5th, it's always interesting with my two, not sure if either has an aggressive bone in their bodies, other than the occasional game of tug a war, not sure if they will be in attack mode, or sleep mode, either way, not a lot of neighbors, so I don't know if I need to turn the theater up or not. I do kinda sorta enjoy turning on the surround sound and playing animal planet, they never seem to find the meowing kitty, but it's on like Donkey Kong in the search!! lol I'm sure they will dictate the evening, they seem to Love Watermelon really well, as in jump in my
Lap and graze on whatever I have without permission, or bully the chair out from under me in their bull headed attacks to ask for more lol, I may BBQ early and spoil them with watermelon before bed, not sure yet, but we will make a night of it lol. And I assure you, I'll be making sure they don't get too wrapped up from the fireworks.....Roflmbo.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We walk our dogs before dark so they are extra tired will sleep through the first part. Then we put their Thundershirts on them, close the drapes, turn on the music or TV louder than usual. We buy new exciting toys for that night and bring them out when the fireworks start and give them lots of treats. They love that our focus is on them completely and we usually survive the night without to much trauma. This years we don't have to worry about it. Burn bans are in place so there are no fireworks allowed!

Getting them super tired --- excellent!

I like the idea of a special toy. I'm going to try that.

Bea and Bo both freak OUT. My neighborhood is ridiculously quiet so any BIG NOISE at all sends them into a tail spin. There's a dude about four or five houses behind me that feels it's his responsibility to put on a show for the entire neighborhood. Yesterday, as I was driving home from work --- and passing all the fireworks stands -- I considered renting a hotel room at some pet friendly hotel way out in the boonies or something.... but I'm sure there are fireworks going off there too. Ugh. Putting them up on "the big bed" (since it's such a privilege) used to work great for Bea ---- but Bo's not so easily distracted.

Maybe I will try the Thundershirt route for him...? That really works?!
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - Xanax. Great idea. For me, that is.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] It seems to have helped my Ridgeback as she does not pace or wine when she has it on for the 4th or New Years which is a big improvement for us as most people around me are launching aerial fireworks which are close to thunder in sound.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde does not like fireworks , he paces back and fourth....barking.....looking at me ...me assuring him it's all okay....then he paces back and fourth...barking ....etc etc......it worries him to death.......same with thunder .....it really gets to him........we had a tornado come through my area a few years ago, Forde was like 1.....it was horrid...lots of noise and damage , not as much to my home as others around me got...but it was bad.....until this noises didn't bother Forde...I think noises like thunder and fireworks bring all this back to him....:(

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur

Bea and Bo both freak OUT. My neighborhood is ridiculously quiet so any BIG NOISE at all sends them into a tail spin. There's a dude about four or five houses behind me that feels it's his responsibility to put on a show for the entire neighborhood. Yesterday, as I was driving home from work --- and passing all the fireworks stands -- I considered renting a hotel room at some pet friendly hotel way out in the boonies or something.... but I'm sure there are fireworks going off there too. Ugh. Putting them up on "the big bed" (since it's such a privilege) used to work great for Bea ---- but Bo's not so easily distracted.

@2BullyMama - Xanax. Great idea. For me, that is.

LOL!
We have the same situation - since we live in the boonies here, every second yahoo feels they need to make sure the fireworks industry stays profitable! PLUS we have my local village festival/fireworks which has crazy loud music all day with the fireworks finale.
We will be in the basement, trying to minimize the trauma!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - Xanax. Great idea. For me, that is.

Well, I know I said four or five houses away. I lied. Last night, Mr. Boom Boom gave us all a taste of what's to come and he's only two house and a fence away. I got a front row seat on my patio. Let's just say, Bea and Bo didn't respond gracefully. I can only imagine what the actual 4th is going to be like.

Dr. Xanax...take US away.....!

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] It seems to have helped my Ridgeback as she does not pace or wine when she has it on for the 4th or New Years which is a big improvement for us as most people around me are launching aerial fireworks which are close to thunder in sound.

Clearly my neighbor has been to the "illegal" fireworks shop....Ugh. Thunder doesn't begin to describe last night's pre-show......UGH.

LOL!
We have the same situation - since we live in the boonies here, every second yahoo feels they need to make sure the fireworks industry stays profitable! PLUS we have my local village festival/fireworks which has crazy loud music all day with the fireworks finale.
We will be in the basement, trying to minimize the trauma!

Last night, I cranked up the TV and disagreed with the behavior as best as I could. It was me, Bo and the cat piled up on the couch and Bea pacing back and forth in front of the couch. Since Bea cannot get on or off the couch by herself, I'm going to try putting her up there with me, Bo and the cat tonight. (You KNOW there's gonna be more preshow with this guy...) I got some special toys - a "junk food" style bone that has peanut butter goo inside (they LOVE them). One thing I am concerned about is them confusing a reward for acting like a nut. Maybe in the realm of fireworks, those brain synapses aren't really firing in dogs... I don't know.

There's a Dog Whisperer episode where "Baby Girl" the Doberman suffers from terrible anxiety and while EVERYTHING scared this dog, the fireworks display at Disneyland each night (she lived nearby) was part of her terror. For that show they created a "virtual reality" trailer; put her on a treadmill and showed giant video screen of her "mom" speaking to her calmly while they popped balloons, etc. I can barely watch that episode because I feel so badly for the dog --- but in the end, the benefits were astounding. The change in the dog was incredible. Baby Girl was truly like a new dog. I just couldn't do it. Or subject my dogs to such a thing. For me, my guilt would be too incredible. :*(

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie was fine with fire works last New Year's. She didn't bark too much and loved to run around the yard and look into the sky.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Ah, this is our first Fourth with Tilly. We're going with family to a party and Tilly will not be joining us. Lucky for us, Tilly is crate-trained, so she'll be away from any noise, and should she hear anything that stresses her out, she knows she's safe in the crate (and there's nothing in there that can hurt her).

I would be very careful about taking your bully with you anywhere where there is fireworks - but if you do, just make sure you watch like a hawk. I've heard some horror stories about dogs accidentally hanging themselves trying to jump over fences and whatnot to get away from the noise.

I've also heard that Thundershirts work REALLY well for this sort of thing. Good luck everyone, and Happy Fourth!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well, I know I said four or five houses away. I lied. Last night, Mr. Boom Boom gave us all a taste of what's to come and he's only two house and a fence away. I got a front row seat on my patio. Let's just say, Bea and Bo didn't respond gracefully. I can only imagine what the actual 4th is going to be like.

Dr. Xanax...take US away.....!

Clearly my neighbor has been to the "illegal" fireworks shop....Ugh. Thunder doesn't begin to describe last night's pre-show......UGH.

Last night, I cranked up the TV and disagreed with the behavior as best as I could. It was me, Bo and the cat piled up on the couch and Bea pacing back and forth in front of the couch. Since Bea cannot get on or off the couch by herself, I'm going to try putting her up there with me, Bo and the cat tonight. (You KNOW there's gonna be more preshow with this guy...) I got some special toys - a "junk food" style bone that has peanut butter goo inside (they LOVE them). One thing I am concerned about is them confusing a reward for acting like a nut. Maybe in the realm of fireworks, those brain synapses aren't really firing in dogs... I don't know.

There's a Dog Whisperer episode where "Baby Girl" the Doberman suffers from terrible anxiety and while EVERYTHING scared this dog, the fireworks display at Disneyland each night (she lived nearby) was part of her terror. For that show they created a "virtual reality" trailer; put her on a treadmill and showed giant video screen of her "mom" speaking to her calmly while they popped balloons, etc. I can barely watch that episode because I feel so badly for the dog --- but in the end, the benefits were astounding. The change in the dog was incredible. Baby Girl was truly like a new dog. I just couldn't do it. Or subject my dogs to such a thing. For me, my guilt would be too incredible. :*(

I remember that episode, huh, desensitizing or brainwashing, it was awful to watch indeed

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We have "SHAKE THE LAKE" fireworks at Wallowa Lake on July 4th. We can see and hear it all from where we live. Ruggles will sleep through the celebration. Not sure how Buster will handle it!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
We have "SHAKE THE LAKE" fireworks at Wallowa Lake on July 4th. We can see and hear it all from where we live. Ruggles will sleep through the celebration. Not sure how Buster will handle it!

Oh gawd. Shake the Lake - sounds ominous doesn't it?

Last night, Mr. Tra-La-La-BOOM-Dee-Aye had pity on his scorched neighbors and did NOT do any pre-show fireworks activities last night. Thank God. It was so hot in here that I had two fans positioned on me and the dogs and they were both wearing "Cooling Capes" that I made out of big fluffy hand towels. It worked pretty good too. I just got the towel wet with icy cold water and draped it over them. Once they settled down and laid on their sides, I moved the towel over to better cover tummy, chest and neck. Had they been panting like they were at one point and freaking out over fireworks, I'd have a real problem on my hands....!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
My neighbors have been "testing" out thier illegal fireworks this week and Gypsy will stand at the front door and bark and bark! I'm nervous about the 4th since my city allows legal fireworks. Should I take her outside on her leash that night? Or distract her in the back room?

What do you do with you bully on the 4th? How does he/she react to fireworks?

Thanks,
Ami

Remi definitely reacts to things that spook him. It might be a bus next to us while he's driving in a jeep with the top down, or a giant cat poster on the wall at the vet. My advice? Don't let Gypsy bark. Correct her when she does bark unwantedly and distract with obedience commands and her favorite treat while your neighbors are doing fireworks. Eventually she'll associate the sound with a reward. Works every time.

Fireworks are a little more constant, especially when you get to the grand finale. Feel out how she does above and use your best judgement if she needs to stay indoors that night.

I'm all about exposure though in most cases.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't know what the fireworks situation will be like where I live. But there will probably be some and will have to wait and see how Ace does. But for the last two Saturday nights, especially last Saturday night someone nearby was testing out their shotgun it sounded like to me. And Ace got pretty mad about it. He was growling and barking some too. He hardly ever barks but he getting all protective when the shots went off. He even wanted to go outside to check it out.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

I don't know what the fireworks situation will be like where I live. But there will probably be some and will have to wait and see how Ace does. But for the last two Saturday nights, especially last Saturday night someone nearby was testing out their shotgun it sounded like to me. And Ace got pretty mad about it. He was growling and barking some too. He hardly ever barks but he getting all protective when the shots went off. He even wanted to go outside to check it out.

I think that's a good thing. If someone starts shooting in my neighborhood I want Buster to bark at them! That's why we blast our TV from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.. The city has their show here on the hill and afterwards its all sporadic BLATANT LAW BREAKERS shooting them off.

Both myself and my uncle have had German Shepherds that were absolutely terrified of them. He made the mistake of putting his boy in his bedroom with all of the windows locked up, TV super loud and the a.c. blasting while him and my aunt went to an Independence day/night party. When they returned home they found he had jumped out a window and into the pool and died, really hurt my uncle. I'm always at home on the fourth.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.