Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Well, I know I said four or five houses away. I lied. Last night, Mr. Boom Boom gave us all a taste of what's to come and he's only two house and a fence away. I got a front row seat on my patio. Let's just say, Bea and Bo didn't respond gracefully. I can only imagine what the actual 4th is going to be like.

Dr. Xanax...take US away.....!

Clearly my neighbor has been to the "illegal" fireworks shop....Ugh. Thunder doesn't begin to describe last night's pre-show......UGH.

Last night, I cranked up the TV and disagreed with the behavior as best as I could. It was me, Bo and the cat piled up on the couch and Bea pacing back and forth in front of the couch. Since Bea cannot get on or off the couch by herself, I'm going to try putting her up there with me, Bo and the cat tonight. (You KNOW there's gonna be more preshow with this guy...) I got some special toys - a "junk food" style bone that has peanut butter goo inside (they LOVE them). One thing I am concerned about is them confusing a reward for acting like a nut. Maybe in the realm of fireworks, those brain synapses aren't really firing in dogs... I don't know.

There's a Dog Whisperer episode where "Baby Girl" the Doberman suffers from terrible anxiety and while EVERYTHING scared this dog, the fireworks display at Disneyland each night (she lived nearby) was part of her terror. For that show they created a "virtual reality" trailer; put her on a treadmill and showed giant video screen of her "mom" speaking to her calmly while they popped balloons, etc. I can barely watch that episode because I feel so badly for the dog --- but in the end, the benefits were astounding. The change in the dog was incredible. Baby Girl was truly like a new dog. I just couldn't do it. Or subject my dogs to such a thing. For me, my guilt would be too incredible.

I remember that episode, huh, desensitizing or brainwashing, it was awful to watch indeed
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: With 4th of July next week, how do you deal with fireworks & your bully?

We have "SHAKE THE LAKE" fireworks at Wallowa Lake on July 4th. We can see and hear it all from where we live. Ruggles will sleep through the celebration. Not sure how Buster will handle it!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Kable View Post
    We have "SHAKE THE LAKE" fireworks at Wallowa Lake on July 4th. We can see and hear it all from where we live. Ruggles will sleep through the celebration. Not sure how Buster will handle it!
    Oh gawd. Shake the Lake - sounds ominous doesn't it?

Last night, Mr. Tra-La-La-BOOM-Dee-Aye had pity on his scorched neighbors and did NOT do any pre-show fireworks activities last night. Thank God. It was so hot in here that I had two fans positioned on me and the dogs and they were both wearing "Cooling Capes" that I made out of big fluffy hand towels. It worked pretty good too. I just got the towel wet with icy cold water and draped it over them. Once they settled down and laid on their sides, I moved the towel over to better cover tummy, chest and neck. Had they been panting like they were at one point and freaking out over fireworks, I'd have a real problem on my hands....!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
    My neighbors have been "testing" out thier illegal fireworks this week and Gypsy will stand at the front door and bark and bark! I'm nervous about the 4th since my city allows legal fireworks. Should I take her outside on her leash that night? Or distract her in the back room?

What do you do with you bully on the 4th? How does he/she react to fireworks?

Thanks,
    Ami
    Remi definitely reacts to things that spook him. It might be a bus next to us while he's driving in a jeep with the top down, or a giant cat poster on the wall at the vet. My advice? Don't let Gypsy bark. Correct her when she does bark unwantedly and distract with obedience commands and her favorite treat while your neighbors are doing fireworks. Eventually she'll associate the sound with a reward. Works every time.

Fireworks are a little more constant, especially when you get to the grand finale. Feel out how she does above and use your best judgement if she needs to stay indoors that night.

I'm all about exposure though in most cases.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what the fireworks situation will be like where I live. But there will probably be some and will have to wait and see how Ace does. But for the last two Saturday nights, especially last Saturday night someone nearby was testing out their shotgun it sounded like to me. And Ace got pretty mad about it. He was growling and barking some too. He hardly ever barks but he getting all protective when the shots went off. He even wanted to go outside to check it out.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    I don't know what the fireworks situation will be like where I live. But there will probably be some and will have to wait and see how Ace does. But for the last two Saturday nights, especially last Saturday night someone nearby was testing out their shotgun it sounded like to me. And Ace got pretty mad about it. He was growling and barking some too. He hardly ever barks but he getting all protective when the shots went off. He even wanted to go outside to check it out.
    I think that's a good thing. If someone starts shooting in my neighborhood I want Buster to bark at them! That's why we blast our TV from 9:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.. The city has their show here on the hill and afterwards its all sporadic BLATANT LAW BREAKERS shooting them off.

Both myself and my uncle have had German Shepherds that were absolutely terrified of them. He made the mistake of putting his boy in his bedroom with all of the windows locked up, TV super loud and the a.c. blasting while him and my aunt went to an Independence day/night party. When they returned home they found he had jumped out a window and into the pool and died, really hurt my uncle. I'm always at home on the fourth.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I must change my statement about Bacon not caring about them. We had multiple deployments of fireworks over the weekend and Mr. Bacon was none to happy with Dad. It was kind of cute because when I came inside afterward he ran over to make sure I was okay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads