New York Times

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am almost positive that this has been posted before here but originally when I read it back in 2011 it bugged me and still does but it did confirm for me that I would one day soon be owned by an English Bulldog and I am and am the proudest dad on the face of the earth. I've read about this breed all my life and never came across anything like this, what do you think?

www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magazine/can-the-bulldog-be-saved.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I thought this article was very interesting. I do agree that most breeds (not just bulldogs) should stop being bred for a certain look. Like German Shepherds are being bred to have tiny back legs, I saw one at the vet yesterday who had to hobble to the car with two vet techs helping, it was so sad to watch, he literally could not use his back legs! But that's what the show standards want so that's how they are being bred! I would love for the show standard for all breeds to be health before looks! Another interesting thing on breeding is a documentary from the BBC called "Pedigree Dogs Exposed", highly recommend watching it! You can find it on YouTube I think or google.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I read this before.... very interesting

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
This is the first time I've seen this New York Times article, thanks for posting it. We started getting Bulldogs in the early 80s. They really are heartbreakers! Ruggles is my 6th Bulldog and other than eating everything in sight, he is by far the healthiest. After 9 year old Mack died last summer, we decided to get an Olde English Bulldogge because they don't have the breathing problems. I really feel the Brits are on the right track putting health issues first in breed standards.

It is a whole other story how we ended up with Buster--his mom is an OEB, his dad is a sneaky Frenchie!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Yes it is disturbing, I read it when it was first published and posted it in this forum not too long ago myself. Personally I think the general thrust of the article and the evidence contained therein is incontrovertible. And there was a documentary on dogs on tv [ I cant remember the title or network] that brought up the same issue. it was dealing with the evolution of dogs, and used the bulldog as an example. There are and have been healthy EB's but breeding for a particular exaggerated look, which often wins shows, is not always healthy.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
This is the first time I've seen this New York Times article, thanks for posting it. We started getting Bulldogs in the early 80s. They really are heartbreakers! Ruggles is my 6th Bulldog and other than eating everything in sight, he is by far the healthiest. After 9 year old Mack died last summer, we decided to get an Olde English Bulldogge because they don't have the breathing problems. I really feel the Brits are on the right track putting health issues first in breed standards.

It is a whole other story how we ended up with Buster--his mom is an OEB, his dad is a sneaky Frenchie!

this is exactly why I imported duke ffrom hungary!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online