Blue eyed Bulldogs

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
After seeing a lot of the pictures on here and the internet in general it seems like most bulldogs have brown/black eyes.So i'm wondering if an English bulldog has blue eyes is that just rare or does it mean something like its not a full blooded English bulldog? Wondering the same about blue/gray fur?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Brown eyes are the standard. Some people try to breed for the blue/gray fur and sometimes get the blue eyes. Then they try to say they are rare, which they are, and charge more to people who buy into that. To me they are not worth the money they are getting for them. I'm a firm believer in staying with the standards and making the bullies better and healthier.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I think David summed it up the best. That also goes w/ the 'Tri-color' 'black' or 'blue' bulldogs, have you wondered why the 'black' bulldogs sometimes look like 'Boston Terriers' enough for me to go Hummmmmm about the bloodline of these pups.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brown eyes are the standard. Some people try to breed for the blue/gray fur and sometimes get the blue eyes. Then they try to say they are rare, which they are, and charge more to people who buy into that. To me they are not worth the money they are getting for them. I'm a firm believer in staying with the standards and making the bullies better and healthier.

I absolutely 100 % agree with that. I just saw an ad for a blue eyed - blue bulldog for $9,999. Thought I was seeing it wrong but did a double check and that's correct.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I know in the OEB world it seems that the tri colors and those that have or carry the blue gene are all the rage right now. I have read and heard from the breeders that have dogs that are considered blue, whether just blue coat and the occasional blue eyes that those with the blue coat have more skin problems [those that will admit it] as a general rule perhaps but each individual dog and line may be different.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I also agree with davidh and others that the most important thing is the health. For me colors are nice but not as important as a healthy pup from healthy sire and dam and as far back as you can trace the pedigree.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My Ace has in his pedigree some that are tri colored and some carry the blue gene, [not any with blue eyes as far as I know] But the color was not a factor for me. My first concerns and what I checked on as much as possible in his line, was health, temperament, and conformation.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I ran into a guy who had a brother & sister one of them had blue eyes looked pretty cool so I mentioned I had never one with blue eyes...he said the breeder said it was the only one out of the litter of four I think but said it didn't meet the standards and gave him a bit of a discount with a neuter/spay contract, probably didn't helped he bought two...I did ask and they are both fixed.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby

:goodpost:

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ae he so agree health and wellness is most important,but I was just curious I've heard about the blue eyes/fur but hasn't actually seen it

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I actually know of a few breeders that breeder for health and color that do well, but it's hard to get caught up in the color thing. I think it always comes down to finding someone who really cares about the overall well being of their dogs. Obviously, health is going to be one of the biggest concerns if they care about the puppies they're breeding!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Owen, I couldn't agree more with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], Like [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION], I've seen these rascals being sold on a web site in Florida, asking price was $6,500.00, Said it was rare, However it's not of show quality, and can't be shown, because it doesn't meet the standards, So why so much if it doesn't meet the standards. Tells me there's something in the blood line that should send you running. Just me, I would stick to the breed standards, then you have puppy mill prices (cheap) Vet bills aren't, and I've wrapped $15,000.00 on one pet from a puppy mill, but when you love a pet, its like a child, Skeery… Then you got back yard breeder prices, a little more pricey, depending on the breeder, Those are a hit and a miss on those kinds of vet bills, then you have the reputable breeders out there, Those guys screen the buyers, I highly appreciate that, and their careful to stay in compliance with the breed standards, and they breed for the benefit of the breed, I commend them on this task, not only that, but they know UP FRONT the health history of momma and daddy, and know what kind of quality they expect…. Thats why they get the prices they do, because your paying a little more up front for healthy, rather than on the back end for the vet bills, and I promise you, paying a vet is like having a gun held to your head !! been there did that before…. The last thing I want to say, I have a daughter, nothing to do her but to purchase a Blue Pitt Bull, This girl is Gorgeous, white star on her chest, most wonderful disposition, Gentle and I mean loving and snuggly, She's 3 years old now, Her problem is her Tummy, She is constantly sick with an upset tummy, always has been always will be. Every shot she gets makes her sick, and I don't mean Pepto Bismal sick, I'm talking about Vet prescribed medication sick. She has paid at least $2,500 in Vet bills with just her Tummy problems, but she is following through with her commitment and responsibility, Her Pitt also has skin problems, frequent ear infections, and I promise you, she treats this little girl like her daughter…. She gets the best of everything, she stays on top of her wellness, But when you go outside of breed standards, be prepared for other problems to occur, The best way to say it is "For every Action is a Reaction" and the Reactions come at a price. Just my opinion, but Davidh, RaRett, Pdolphin, and Rural Mystic all hit the nail on the head, and I confer for those reasons. The blue eyed, or blue coat should be sold at ⅓ the price of a breed standard, not more….. Who do these breeders think they are….. Scam Artists if you ask me!!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Owen, I couldn't agree more with @Davidh, Like @pdolphin27, I've seen these rascals being sold on a web site in Florida, asking price was $6,500.00, Said it was rare, However it's not of show quality, and can't be shown, because it doesn't meet the standards, So why so much if it doesn't meet the standards. Tells me there's something in the blood line that should send you running. Just me, I would stick to the breed standards, then you have puppy mill prices (cheap) Vet bills aren't, and I've wrapped $15,000.00 on one pet from a puppy mill, but when you love a pet, its like a child, Skeery… Then you got back yard breeder prices, a little more pricey, depending on the breeder, Those are a hit and a miss on those kinds of vet bills, then you have the reputable breeders out there, Those guys screen the buyers, I highly appreciate that, and their careful to stay in compliance with the breed standards, and they breed for the benefit of the breed, I commend them on this task, not only that, but they know UP FRONT the health history of momma and daddy, and know what kind of quality they expect…. Thats why they get the prices they do, because your paying a little more up front for healthy, rather than on the back end for the vet bills, and I promise you, paying a vet is like having a gun held to your head !! been there did that before…. The last thing I want to say, I have a daughter, nothing to do her but to purchase a Blue Pitt Bull, This girl is Gorgeous, white star on her chest, most wonderful disposition, Gentle and I mean loving and snuggly, She's 3 years old now, Her problem is her Tummy, She is constantly sick with an upset tummy, always has been always will be. Every shot she gets makes her sick, and I don't mean Pepto Bismal sick, I'm talking about Vet prescribed medication sick. She has paid at least $2,500 in Vet bills with just her Tummy problems, but she is following through with her commitment and responsibility, Her Pitt also has skin problems, frequent ear infections, and I promise you, she treats this little girl like her daughter…. She gets the best of everything, she stays on top of her wellness, But when you go outside of breed standards, be prepared for other problems to occur, The best way to say it is "For every Action is a Reaction" and the Reactions come at a price. Just my opinion, but Davidh, RaRett, Pdolphin, and Rural Mystic all hit the nail on the head, and I confer for those reasons. The blue eyed, or blue coat should be sold at ⅓ the price of a breed standard, not more….. Who do these breeders think they are….. Scam Artists if you ask me!!

Couldnt agree more! I have seen blue & green eyed bullies that have blue and chocolate coats for $15-$20k. Unreal , I have never seen one that I was happy with the conformation either!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sometimes chang is good, but in the case of blue eyed bullbogs is not a good change, leave well enough alone. Its not for the good of the dog, its all about money.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Well really interesting reading, didnot know blue eyed bulldogs existed, but very informative answers, certainly pays to do your research for many reasons!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.