Gordo's Story

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
A week ago I received an Email from the Long Island Bulldog Rescue about an 8 month old bully named Gordo. Gordo was surrendered by his owners to l.i.b.r. as a seemingly healthy puppy. One that would be placed in a nice home with relative ease. After a checkup from their vets they realized that sadly this was not the case. Gordo was diagnosed with pneumonia and brachycephalic syndrome (elongated soft palate, constricted nostrils, enlarged tonsils). Corrective surgery for the breathing condition is common, or so I'm told. I wish I could say that it ended there for Gordo but I can't. He had another condition known as tracheal hypoplasia. It's basically underdeveloped cartilage rings that expand the trachea. This means he was essentially breathing though a trachea the size of a small straw.
At the time I received this letter all the necessary surgeries had been performed on little Gordo. L.i.b.r. was asking for donations to cover Gordo's vet bills which at this point were over $10,000. I threw a few bucks on the hat. My girlfriend too.
I opted to receive daily updates on Gordo's condition (2 a day, morning and night). Over the weekend they announced that he was breathing much better since the tracheal procedure and eating which is a great sign for any puppy after having that much work done. He was still battling the pneumonia but his cough was very productive. Another good sign.
For 11 days Gordo was recovering with all the love an attention the hospital staff and L.i.b.r staff could give him.
Yesterday mornings update was a somber one. They said he seemed weak. His tired little face was pressed up against his cage. They asked us to pray for him.
I'm not much for praying myself and neither is my girlfriend but now I wish I was.
Gordo died late last night.
He had been taken by the pneumonia.
I've been kinda busted up about it all morning. I'm sad for sure but for a jerk like me that translates to anger. I'd like to get ahold of the bastards who surrendered him and even more so than that I'd like to get ahold of the human garbage who operated the puppy mill where he was born. He was only 8 months old when he died. A month older than my Luca.
I wonder if he ever felt loved in his whole short life and I'm grateful to the hospital and Long Island Bulldog Rescue for being there for him in the end.
Gordo died with no owners to speak of so I just felt like someone had to tell his story.
image.jpg

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe!!! That poor fur baby! Makes me cry just reading about it as my own fur baby is laying on my lap cuddled up to my daughters best friend my lap is full but I would certainly have made room for Gordo. Hopefully he knew some love in his short life!

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... This story is so heartbreaking, I feel so sad for Gordo :cry:
I'm new to EBN, and I honestly had NO idea how many bullies end up in shelters or rescues... It makes me angry too.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Thank you for telling Gordo's story! Although it made me cry, I too am angry with the humans who let him down. But thank god for rescues like LIBR that showed him love before he went to rainbow bridge. And again, thank you for sharing this adorable guys story!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
What a sad story. Even though you didn't own Gordo, the caring that you show just by sharing his story says a lot. The fact that LIBR was there for him and did so much to save him says that THEY loved him enough to give him a chance.

I freaking HATE PUPPY MILLS. HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM! Because they want to make a quick buck and do not care one iota for the dogs that are born with all sorts of problems. bastards.

Poor baby Gordo, he is playing past the Rainbow Bridge with all our bullies and other dogs that have also crossed and they ARE loved. ♥

HoochsMom

May 20, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
So sad.......... I feel so sorry for this little guy. RIP Gordo..........

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I never cry but this one got me. :-( Poor little guy...he deserved so much more but your sharing his story and the love he received in a time of sickness are beautiful tributes to his short life.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Poor Gordo. I have been following his story on LIBR facebook page also..I was not aware he passed last night though. This is a shock to hear this morning. RIP Gordo..he was so young too.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
A week ago I received an Email from the Long Island Bulldog Rescue about an 8 month old bully named Gordo. Gordo was surrendered by his owners to l.i.b.r. as a seemingly healthy puppy. One that would be placed in a nice home with relative ease. ....

At the time I received this letter all the necessary surgeries had been performed on little Gordo. L.i.b.r. was asking for donations to cover Gordo's vet bills which at this point were over $10,000.

This was most likely the reason they surrendered him. Unfortunately, a lot of owners who surrender don't tell us the real reason they are doing it. Days, sometimes weeks go by and the condition remains untreated. The outcome isn't always a positive one.

Poor little guy. At least he knew what real love was before he left us.

I honestly had NO idea how many bullies end up in shelters or rescues... It makes me angry too.

you would be surprised

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Can't see through the tears. So heartbreaking. Poor baby. I have to go hug my baby after reading about Gordo.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Poor Gordo. Thank you for sharing his story and thank you to LIBR for doing there best with that precious little guy. Now he is free to run around Rainbow Bridge and enjoy the life he was meant to have

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online