Back To Square One

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Im new here, signed up a couple of weeks ago. I recently took some time off of here after I got the news that the bulldog puppy that I picked out, at just a couple days old, died at 6 weeks. I did not receive a reason why, the breeder was just as shocked as I was and was very sorry. They offered a different puppy at a discount; however, because they have been posted for so long, the only two puppies they have left were not at all what I was looking for. Upset, I declined the replacement puppy and will be receiving my deposit back in the next day or so.

My initial search for a breeder was rather short, as we quickly found the original breeder and were satisfied with the reviews and initial visit. The day we found out that we would not be getting Bentley in a couple of weeks, we began searching for other bulldog breeders in the area. My search took my over 8 hours away to Eastern PA to look at a litter this morning and I returned without the puppy I went to look at because the fit was not right. In my mind I guess I am still comparing them to the little puppy I was supposed to be picking up soon.

In my recent searches for a breeder, I have come across several that I would not consider reputable and ones to avoid. Several that I have come across offer AKC registration (some full, some limited), health guarantees, additional support after purchase (first to take dog if situation arises where owner is unable to continue owning), etc... but even some of these have negative reviews or claims against them. How much stake should I be taking into the one or two negative claims compared to the several positive defending the breeder?

I know that rescuing a bulldog is an option, and I fully intend to do so for any second or third bulldog in the future. I want to raise my first from puppy stage on and when the opportunity presents itself expanding through adoption. I am only 23 right now, and don't have the additional funds to raise multiple bulldogs at this time.

It's been a rough couple of days since finding out about Bentley, and I really did not expect to be having to go through this process. I only had the connection to Bentley through the weekly photos that I received and the one visit that I was able to make when he was only a couple days old, I can only imagine how tough it is to lose them after having them for 8+ years.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all, I'm so sorry about Bentley. It doesn't matter that he never made it "home".. You still had fallen for him! I totally understand the reasons you want a pup. You certainly don't have to feel guilty or uncomfortable around us. Rescuing a Bully will happen if it's meant to be. I don't have much experience searching for a breeder..Jake came from the neighborhood and through word of mouth.

I would encourage you to let people here know you are looking for a good breeder and I see you are in Ohio. While we are not permitted to recommend a breeder to you on the forum, members are certainly able to send you a private message with any recommendations or info they might have. I will tag a few members that might have some tips for you too.

Hang in there..the right pup will find you! :)
@Sherry.. @2BullyMama. @Davidh.. @Baconator.. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
So sorry about the loss of Bentley. I can imagine what you are going through. I have been watching 4 breeders that I have found on facebook. I just bought a puppy and he will be here in 2 days. I don't like the idea of airplanes and bulldogs so I hired a pet ground transport. I did a lot of research on the breeders and if they have healthy bullies. I can message them to you if you want me to. I already have an 8 year old bully and we fell in love with the breed. I wish you luck in your hunt for a new one.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Of course you are grieving for Bentley, you fell in love with him and chose
him to be your baby...now your dreams are shattered and your heart is
sad...I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can see why you chose him...so
adorable!

Once you've mourned Bentley and moved forward from this tragedy, you'll
find the 'right one'...good for you not to rush into taking a puppy that didn't
feel right for you...many would have. Take your time...GOD bless!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry for your loss of Bentley, even though he didn't make it home, he was still your baby you chose, and were preparing to bring home and love. It is still a loss, and you will grieve the same as you would for any loss of a beloved pet. You'll never be able to replace him, but hopefully you find another bully puppy to love, and you find the right breeder your comfortable with. Good luck and hope to see you in the future on this site with your new baby.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Of course you are grieving for Bentley, you fell in love with him and chose
him to be your baby...now your dreams are shattered and your heart is
sad...I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can see why you chose him...so
adorable!

Once you've mourned Bentley and moved forward from this tragedy, you'll
find the 'right one'...good for you not to rush into taking a puppy that didn't
feel right for you...many would have. Take your time...GOD bless!

Love the way you put feelings into work, I strongly agree with your thoughts !!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry about Bentley... It takes time to get over the loss, she was your chosen baby ; (

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I am so sorry you lost Bentley before you were able to bring him home. :( He sure was an adorable pup.

I know you will find another puppy when the time is right for you. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and are going about finding the right one in a responsible manner. I applaud that.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heart breaking at any stage.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion is a replacement puppy for us. Our little boy died after only 36 hours. I was lucky enough to be there during the c-section and got to feed him during his first day home. He was only 4oz at birth and struggled to eat. We don't know why he passed on...only that he did. Orion was the other pup in the litter (it was a small litter) and she wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a red/white or piebald puppy....and well, she's white. I also wanted a male....and well, she's female. I totally get what you are saying about the fit not being right. Weeks went by where I felt the same way. I think she knows I had attachment issues....and to this day she holds it against me.

With that being said....she is very delightful. She is delightfully naughty and very much a PITA. Good luck in your search! You will find the right one for your family. Give yourself time to grieve.....it took me awhile to accept the loss of such a small baby.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My Little Bea came to me in a similar way. I wanted Piebald Female and I waited and waited. When the third litter didn't produce a piebald anybody, I got Bea. :heart:

Bo came later when I started thinking about adding a rescue to my little pack. I had completed the forms at CBRR (now PNWBR) and had officially opened my heart and mind to the possibility --- and here comes Bo. Perfect.

Put it out there in the universe. It will happen.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am so sorry for the loss of your baby. :nope: As others have said though when the time is right you will find the perfect fit, it always happens when you least expect it. :hug:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm so sorry to hear about Bentley, I agree with everyone, give it some time and the right little guy or girl will find you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.