RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
Good Morning Everyone,

Was just curious as to what age everyone started bringing there puppies to the off leash park? How did you go about introducing your puppy/dog?

I'm a little nervous to say the least, to bring Roxy to the off leash parks, we bring our other dog (8 year old Border Collie) to them ALL the time but he's amazing with other dogs no matter the temperament.

Roxy has been introduced to several dogs (family dogs various sizes & temperaments) but she still doesn't really know how to "meet & greet" politely, she is quite rude to be honest (or at least I feel she is) and I'm trying by best to work on it. She kind of lunges and starts barking, its more play than anything I think and from what I understand Bullies tend to be all up in others faces anyways lol. She will be 4 months next Saturday; am I expecting too much at this time maybe??

I won't bring her for at least another few months since she still needs to be fixed and she gets her last set of shots at the end of the week; so still have some time to get it right. I will be bringing her to puppy classes as well so I'm sure that will help too.

Anyways, any suggestions that you may have to prepare her for the bigger world would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Alicia & Roxy

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I know our parks say that they have to be at least 6 months. I would take Daisy if I could but shes only three months.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
With leash free parks, you definetely want to make sure they have all their vaccinations before visiting the park, you want to sort of know about the temperament of the other dogs that frequent the park, but since you already bring your Border Collie there you know if it's a safe park or not, and also if it seems clean. Since Roxy has another dog in the house she's already getting some socialization skills. Since I have two and they are litter mates, they had each other, plus once they had their second set of shots the vet said it was okay to let them socialize with a couple of dogs in our complex, as long as you know the dogs and their owners, and you know that they are up to date on their shots. 4 months is still quite young and socialization will come, and training will definitely help.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Good Morning Everyone,

Was just curious as to what age everyone started bringing there puppies to the off leash park? How did you go about introducing your puppy/dog?

I'm a little nervous to say the least, to bring Roxy to the off leash parks, we bring our other dog (8 year old Border Collie) to them ALL the time but he's amazing with other dogs no matter the temperament.

Roxy has been introduced to several dogs (family dogs various sizes & temperaments) but she still doesn't really know how to "meet & greet" politely, she is quite rude to be honest (or at least I feel she is) and I'm trying by best to work on it. She kind of lunges and starts barking, its more play than anything I think and from what I understand Bullies tend to be all up in others faces anyways lol. She will be 4 months next Saturday; am I expecting too much at this time maybe??

I won't bring her for at least another few months since she still needs to be fixed and she gets her last set of shots at the end of the week; so still have some time to get it right. I will be bringing her to puppy classes as well so I'm sure that will help too.

Anyways, any suggestions that you may have to prepare her for the bigger world would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Alicia & Roxy

I know what you mean about rude. Tubby is the opposite of a gentleman. He's 8 months old and not neutered so were avoiding the parks too but I can't wait to get him to one so he can run free and play

Also I saw you're from Alberta. Hopefully you and Foxy Roxy aren't affected by the flooding

OP
RoxyRoller

RoxyRoller

Jun 11, 2013
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxy
I know what you mean about rude. Tubby is the opposite of a gentleman. He's 8 months old and not neutered so were avoiding the parks too but I can't wait to get him to one so he can run free and play

Also I saw you're from Alberta. Hopefully you and Foxy Roxy aren't affected by the flooding

Thank you for the concern TubbysMom :) fortunately I'm in Edmonton, lots of rain but no flooding.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.