HELP!!! Kimbo tail fell off...

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
My English bulldog kimbo, he has an ingrown tail. Just these past few days, it has a weird smell from that area and his hair from his tail are coming out in small chunks...is that normal because of the heat?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No..I've never heard of this! Let me tag some people.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Have you cleaned inside his tail pocket? If not, that's where the smell is coming from. He could have an infection brewing up in there.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh no did his tail actually fall off or is he just losing chunks of hair from his tail? If he's just losing hair, and he has an odor coming from the tail area, maybe he has an infection, or a yeast infection in the tail area. I haven't had any experience with this problem of mange, or yeast infections, or infections of any kind in my guys yet, and I hope I don't ever have to go through this, my guys are still fairly young, they are both only 15 months old. The only thing I would suggest is to take him to the vet to determine if it is an infection, or if it's just normal hair loss. I hope it's nothing serious, and that Kimbo is feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Is his tail in a pocket? Is the tail a screw tail? If the tail is tight and in a pocket, then it needs to be cleaned everyday. These pockets collect moisture and bacteria and need to be cleaned with wipes that have a drying agent in them, that is probably why there is a smell. Before we got Gio's tail amputated, he had a pocket that was a full finger deep. We used "Trizchlor 4 wipes" every night to keep his pocket and tail dry and clean.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely an infection, might take him to the vet, he may need some antibiotics. If it is ingrown, you may need to have his tail amputated. Out Lucy had one and it was very painful to her and after the surgery, she is all good. The best thing we ever did for her.

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
Have you cleaned inside his tail pocket? If not, that's where the smell is coming from. He could have an infection brewing up in there.

I have cleaned his tail and inside as well. I try to keep kimbo as clean as possible

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
Oh no did his tail actually fall off or is he just losing chunks of hair from his tail? If he's just losing hair, and he has an odor coming from the tail area, maybe he has an infection, or a yeast infection in the tail area. I haven't had any experience with this problem of mange, or yeast infections, or infections of any kind in my guys yet, and I hope I don't ever have to go through this, my guys are still fairly young, they are both only 15 months old. The only thing I would suggest is to take him to the vet to determine if it is an infection, or if it's just normal hair loss. I hope it's nothing serious, and that Kimbo is feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

No his tail is fine, just a lot of hair loss that has never happened before for the 2 years he has been alive

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
Is his tail in a pocket? Is the tail a screw tail? If the tail is tight and in a pocket, then it needs to be cleaned everyday. These pockets collect moisture and bacteria and need to be cleaned with wipes that have a drying agent in them, that is probably why there is a smell. Before we got Gio's tail amputated, he had a pocket that was a full finger deep. We used "Trizchlor 4 wipes" every night to keep his pocket and tail dry and clean.

I do not know a screw tail is but his tail is inside of him. It does not stick out. And I will look for the trizchlor 4 wipes at petsmart

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
Definitely an infection, might take him to the vet, he may need some antibiotics. If it is ingrown, you may need to have his tail amputated. Out Lucy had one and it was very painful to her and after the surgery, she is all good. The best thing we ever did for her.

I will have to look into that. I don't have insurance for him so I been paying everything out of pockets and I am very low on funds right now...

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I do not know a screw tail is but his tail is inside of him. It does not stick out. And I will look for the trizchlor 4 wipes at petsmart

This sounds very similar to what Gio's tail used to look like, I will post a picture of his tail from before he got it amputated. The screw tail was just his tail in a tight spiral inside of him, it wasn't a straight tail. I order those wipes from Amazon but I'm sure Petsmart has something similar, my vet has those wipes as well so maybe your vet carries them? For now I would clean his tail with a wipe or dry cloth with some baby powder on it. Try not to use something that will irritate Kimbo since he may have an infection. I would definitely try to take him to the vet soon. Hope he is feeling better!! And if you have a picture of his tail please post it.

You can't tell from the picture but his tail pocket was a full finger deep, so when I cleaned it I would really have to get in there and make sure I cleaned the whole pocket.
photo-138.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8242]KimboAndSean[/MENTION] have you checked into Credit Care? I have never used it, but several peeps here have and they say it's wonderful. If I remember correctly it was like $800.00 for Lucy. We don't have insurance either so we just bit the bullet.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
some tails do loose hair, especially over time. If hair is coming out in clumps your pooch has a bacteria problem, an antibacterial soap lathered up and deep in there ,will clean it for one time, it should be done on a daily bases until you get this thing under control

I would wash with a hand soap or Dial soap & warm water. rinse and dry really good. Do this everyday until it gets better, then only every couple of days when it gets better. Ingrown tails are a bacterial breeding ground for germs, your poor pooch can't clean this area. They depend on you to keep it at it's best.
Please keep us posted :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.