Road Trip or Stay at home - 9 1/2 week Baby bulldog

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
I have a quandary. Bailey is 9 1/2 weeks old now and today we need to go out of town for maybe 8 or even more hours. Our grand daughter is having her 1st baby. Grandma has to be there. I cant leave Bailey in her crate for that long and can't leave her outside in our car. So I'm taking her with us. About a half hour drive, no prob, but Bailey and I will have to wait outside the hospital while grandma goes in to be with our grand daughter. I'm taking food, water, her crate, a bed and some toys, just hope we dont have to much trouble finding shade to wait in. I'll have my cell phone so Jackie can keep me posted and suspose someone can spell me and watch Bailey while I go in and see our new great grand baby. Going to be quite the adventure with Bailey and I guess I'm doing the right thing taking her with us. Wish us luck, going to be a long day.

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Good luck and congrats! Maybe a water spray bottle to keep her cool? I'm sure she'll just sleep alot anyway ;)

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Thanks will add that to our Bailey goodie bag.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Congrats! What a wonderful gift to the world, a great grand child. Good luck with Bailey, I'm sure she'll do well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww! I'm late and you're probably well on your way! Congrats to you! A new baby in the Family..well, besides Bailey! The only thing I would be careful of, is not to let her out where bunch of other dogs could've been. I'm sure she isn't fully vaccinated and this could expose her to cooties.

Good Luck! And :dancing:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
My suggestion might be since she's so young is to carry along a sprayer (like those bug sprayers or for weeds) you can purchase at Home Depot filled with disinfectant so that you can spray down wherever she'll be going potty at so she doesn't get something like parvo. Talk with your vet to see what can kill that as well as be safe for your little baby. Good luck!

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba was almost 8 weeks when I picked him up in LA and drove 400 miles to Northern California.
We made about 4 stops to water him and clean up his crate (a Southwest Airlines pet carrier with lots of ventilation grills but not much or a view for him).
He was perfect the whole way.

He's now 8 months and is still perfect in the car.
My old Lion blanket from 1980 and the front passenger seat back reclined to about 45 degrees suits him fine.
His Kong harness has a handle which is perfect for the seatbelt to pass through so he's very safe.
He rides shotgun and likes to sit up and look around as we drive.
He also seems to like country music as do I.
On longer trips, he lays down and rests his moo on the center console armrest.

We've been on several long trips (170+ miles) and I think his calmness is due to his early experience driving when he was 8 weeks.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The good thing is that puppies are pretty good travelers. They tucker out so quickly that they sleep most of the time! Good luck with your travels :)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When we go on long trips we freeze 1 gallon milk jugs and wrap them in towels and put them in the backseat for Amber to lean on. It makes the seat cool and gives a little coolness several inches away from the jug. Amber likes to lay her head on the jugs.

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
We're home, long day but we made it OK. Bailey was good, stayed in the shade, lots of water and one nurse brought her a cup of ice to put in her water. Lots of people attention but no other dogs. She had one meal there in the parking lot (car). She got tired, it was a long day but I dont think we over did it.

One time she spilled her water and then laid on her belly in it; she liked that.

Here's pictures of me and Bailey waiting on Aubrie our 13 th great grand baby.

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 116

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We're home, long day but we made it OK. Bailey was good, stayed in the shade, lots of water and one nurse brought her a cup of ice to put in her water. Lots of people attention but no other dogs. She had one meal there in the parking lot (car). She got tired, it was a long day but I dont think we over did it.

One time she spilled her water and then laid on her belly in it; she liked that.

Here's pictures of me and Bailey waiting on Aubrie our 13 th great grand baby.

:dancing: ​13!!! Great grand babies! Wow.....you are blessed.:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy things went well today. I was worried about her today. She is pretty young to be out in the heat for that long, but glad things worked out and she is OK.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
13 Great Grandbabies!!!! Wow, you are truly blessed :) Happy to hear that things went well with cute little Bailey!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.