I am a liability can they cancel me?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi everyone. I have had Trupanion insurance for my ebd since he arrived at 10 weeks of age. The first month was free and a promo thing from my first vet. She listed him as a "Healthy Puppy" then and after that first month I chose to continue it and keep my co pay as low as it could go ( 10% with no payout limit) because of the horror stories I heard regarding health issues with ebd's. . Well This month is a year I have had it and it has a 10% increase in premium cap each year so this June instead of paying $101.00 I think it was now $110.00 ( close to that figure) each month . Well- My question is my ebd Buddy has had Parvo. Multiple UTI's. Demodex mange and today is going into surgery to have a urinary track operation at about $1,600 and some odd dollars and he is a TOTAL liability and I know Trupanion does not make any money from someone like myself so I am just waiting for a cancelation letter. I asked my vets secretary and she said I don't think they can cancel you unless you miss a payment but they can not renew your policy for Buddy at the beginning of June possibly. I don't think she really knew and neither do I but I have NO IDEA what the heck I would do with out health insurance for him. I am not one of these wealthy palm beachers who lives on A1A and drives a Massaratti ! I cringe to think that one day I might have to find Buddy a loving home with someone else that could afford to give him good medical treatment ! Has anyone else been a liability to their insurance company and what was the outcome? Thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think they can cancel you, that would be fraudulent! This is why you chose to have insurance, and what it's for. The only way they could is if they find you or your vet lied about his health when purchasing the policy. They will likely raise your ins as much as they can each year but I don't think they can cancel you at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ì don`t think they can cancel you as they are health insurance and obviously it is in place for cases like this. Most likely your premium will go up or they will increase your deductible to try to curb you from making more claims. We personally don`t have insurance on Tubby due to his heart murmur and the rates they wanted to charge us so I can`t speak from experience but I do work for an insurance company so thats where my reasoning is coming from. Your best bet would be to look through your policy docs or give them a call to see what their non renewal process is or if they have decline rules

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5372]hero4u[/MENTION] They wont cancel you, they have no reason to. Lisa is right if they did it would be fraud. To really make you feel better you could call them. I work for an insurance company and think the only thing you should be concerned about is Buddy's well being. You don't need to worry about being cancelled, that's why we have insurance for these little guys so we don't need to worry.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Try Care Credit a lot of veterinarians take that its what I use with Sheldon.

Love has a name and its name is Sheldon!!!<3

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
They can't and won't cancel you..just make your payments on time. And expect premium increases. But..FYI ...everyone's premium goes up after the first year! Ours went up 10% and we have never had a claim..take a deep breath and be thankful you were smart enough to purchase insurance in the first place. :)

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
They can't and won't cancel you..just make your payments on time. And expect premium increases. But..FYI ...everyone's premium goes up after the first year! Ours went up 10% and we have never had a claim..take a deep breath and be thankful you were smart enough to purchase insurance in the first place. :)

I don't guess we have pet insurance in Arkansas because I sure haven't been able to find it I even asked the local vets.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't guess we have pet insurance in Arkansas because I sure haven't been able to find it I even asked the local vets.

You buy it directly from the insurance company. Online! I do love care credit too! But...in a case where the bills mount up..with a good insurance you aren't 100% liable..on the big covered things.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I have Trupanion also. I don't believe they would cancel you. I have heard nothing but good things about them!

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone for your support. After my vets office got off the phone with them last night ( an hour and a half, making sure they were going to get paid their money) they said Trupanion wanted to speak with me. I cannot believe how NICE these people are Thanking me for taking such good care of Buddy and praying he will be ok. Anyways Thanks everyone

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks everyone for your support. After my vets office got off the phone with them last night ( an hour and a half, making sure they were going to get paid their money) they said Trupanion wanted to speak with me. I cannot believe how NICE these people are Thanking me for taking such good care of Buddy and praying he will be ok. Anyways Thanks everyone

I have Trupanion also - but (thankfully) have never had a claim. I've also heard the best things about them and why I chose them and their amazingly high premiums LOL.

I like to "buy local" too. They are a Seattle based company. :heart:

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
You buy it directly from the insurance company. Online! I do love care credit too! But...in a case where the bills mount up..with a good insurance you aren't 100% liable..on the big covered things.
and its called Trupanion?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
and its called Trupanion?

There is a banner for trupanion at the bottom of the forums, and sometimes you will see others like VPI in the google advertisements

Jennifer Clark

Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
There is a banner for trupanion at the bottom of the forums, and sometimes you will see others like VPI in the google advertisements

Thank you so much I'm going to check it out!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.