Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
(let me start off by saying that my laptop is going nuts! I'll be typing and the cursor will jump to the middle of a previous word....I'm lucky if I notice it)
My mom in law came home from work and wanted to know if the babies were GPS chipped. She was told by one of her customers that it might be a good idea....he apparently has his dog GPS chipped and when the dog was stolen, they were able to make a quick arrest. Anyone know about this? I've never heard of it and I've not seen it discussed on here before. I'd love to get whatever info I can. I could be the difference between life and death for Vegas if he ever wandered off or was stolen.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
I tried to research this when I first got Chief and could not find anything on it I was tempted to sit down and try to make one and submit it to that invention thing but just never did. I think its the greatest thing, If you find out about it please share it with us...

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Ops forgot to ad that I only found gps collars which really is not going to help because someone can remove the collar.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
How GPS Tracking Devices Work
A common misconception is that microchips are GPS-tracking devices. This is not true-microchips are passive implants, activated only once your dog is found. In contrast, GPS devices are actively linked to real-time satellite receivers or cell-phone modems. Worn outside your dog's body, GPS tracking devices, the size of a business card, transmit your dog's exact locale-and even directions how to get there-back to you once you "call" or text the device. They can also alert you when your dog strays.

Advantages of GPS Tracking Devices
•GPS devices can locate your dog from most any locale.
•GPS devices can direct you in real time as you locate your dog.
•No insertion is required; your dog usually wears a GPS device attached to a collar.
Disadvantages of GPS Tracking Devices
•GPS tracking devices are relatively more expensive than microchips, and some require monthly subscriptions.
•Some areas have little or no cell phone coverage or Internet connectivity.
•GPS units may be too big and heavy for small dogs to wear.
•Attached to collars, GPS devices can be lost along with them.

this is what I found. So i dont think they make the chip.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Just found this..

The microchip is one of the greatest technological aids to returning lost or stolen pets to their owners. As valuable as they are, however, GPS microchips are not currently commercially available due to the limitations of current technology.
.Microchip Identification
The typical pet identification chip is a tiny device made of silicon and other inert "biocompatible" materials that are nontoxic and hypoallergenic that are implanted into the flesh between a dog's shoulder blades. According to VetInfo.com, these chips are "radio frequency identification (RDIF) technology [that] does not active [sic] transmit information." These chips have no batteries, so they last for the lifetime of the animal without replacement.

Read more: GPS Chip Embedded in Dogs | eHow.com GPS Chip Embedded in Dogs | eHow.com

Guess that answers my question....but then again, this article was from April.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yeah...I would, but I'm not the inventing type. I'm having a hard enough time with the cards. And there really isn't too much inventing there!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
that would be great to have!!! cause when has your vet ever scanned a rescue or a lost but found dog to see if they have a chip? when i first got bo"lab" he was dropped off in the county i waited a month to see if anyone claimed him before i took him in for a check up and shots.. well teh vet never checked to see if he had a chip!!! i

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online