"Yo. How much did you pay for that bulldog?"

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I took Remi to Walgreens for some Benedryl, just after he was just diagnosed at the vet with an ear infection on top of his usual allergies - We ran out and he really needs one every day now. I just wanted him to be as comfortable as possible.

I probably should have dropped him off at home first. The whole time we were in there, which all of a sudden got SUPER CROWDED, he was on the floor, shaking his head, his head on my feet just trying to get some relief from the ear infection. He was tugging and pulling everywhere we went from excitement. I just wanted to get out of there.

I pay at the pharmacy and evade the long lines up front. We make it outside - finally. Freedom. I'm about to cross the street with my uncomfortable pooch when some thuggish guy yells out to me.

"Yo. How much did you pay for that bulldog?" :cursing:

I can't tell you why this made me so angry, but it did. I just shouted behind me without so much as looking at him. "A lot."

Honestly, if you have to ask, you really should look at getting another breed. I don't know, I just thought it was rude and obnoxious. Am I annoyed for no reason?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yeah, this question gets asked quite often to EB parents. It's super annoying! Sometimes people will throw figures out at me even. Nowadays, when someone throws me that question, i just pretend i didn't hear them and keep going.

on a side note, I didn't know Walgreen's lets you bring pets in! :walk:

Hope Remi feels better soon!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I don't think they do, but the manager saw me and said that Remi could come back any time. Which is hilarious because he was not on his best behavior that day.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't think they do, but the manager saw me and said that Remi could come back any time. Which is hilarious because he was not on his best behavior that day.

well, that's cool and a cool manager too! I like that you just strolled in with him like it's not a big deal to bring a bully into Walgreens! :2thumbs:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know..today some idiot asked if Jake was a PITBULL? JAKE? Of course..Jake was acting all tough guy and squeezing his big booty through the deck rails to bark at him! But ..this is how much he deserved to be barked at...he had two...not one...but TWO lit cigarettes in his mouth at one time! BOTH LIT!!! :eek: I, of course..said "yup". :evil:

kayo56

Jul 11, 2012
Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet.
It would be one thing for someone to ask you, in a different way, to see if they really could afford it. I saw something about bulldogs being the number one family pet, but I sometimes think it might come down to a question of having one or the other, they are high maintenance! But of course, bulldogs don't take your car, or need to attend college, so it' s a no brainer.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hahahahhahahahahhah!! Oh, @JAKEISGREAT. Omg, I am just laughing so hard. Remi gets freaked out by the craziest stuff. On the way to the vet yesterday, some truck with a really tiny cab was behind us. It was one of those cabs where you can see the driver's full body very clearly, and the glass is straight up and down. Remi lost it and started barking at him. I couldn't settle him down from the driver's seat. I just kept thinking everyone at the red light probably thinks I own a killer dog.

Does Jake sound as viscous as Remi!?!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It is untactful and rude. Probably about everyone in this forum has been asked the same question as well. Several good reply's have been mentioned in other threads, some funny and some more direct to the point. It is uncomfortable. If you answer with the actual price then you have to expect the same tired responses. like "Wow that much" or "For a dog"? or "Is that the regular price"? or the real winner something to the effect of " I can't imagine anyone paying that much for just a dog"

I think the next time someone asks I'm going to say " I got a real good price he was only 52,024 dollars, a real steal"

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hahahahhahahahahhah!! Oh, @JAKEISGREAT. Omg, I am just laughing so hard. Remi gets freaked out by the craziest stuff. On the way to the vet yesterday, some truck with a really tiny cab was behind us. It was one of those cabs where you can see the driver's full body very clearly, and the glass is straight up and down. Remi lost it and started barking at him. I couldn't settle him down from the driver's seat. I just kept thinking everyone at the red light probably thinks I own a killer dog.

Does Jake sound as viscous as Remi!?!

:ROFL: Ya....VISCIOUS!!! :biglaugh:

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
I've only been a bulldog owner less than 2 weeks and I've been asked that question a dozen times and and I never sure just how to answer. Sometimes I just don't answer and sometimes I tell them more than what I paid. What thread or threads contained some good answers.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I've only been a bulldog owner less than 2 weeks and I've been asked that question a dozen times and and I never sure just how to answer. Sometimes I just don't answer and sometimes I tell them more than what I paid. What thread or threads contained some good answers.

I think it's also different depending on who asked. If it was a friend, of course I wasn't be annoyed or angry. But random people on the street just come off as someone who wants a bulldog for the status.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hate when people ask me that. It depends were I'm at, on how I answer. When on the road and somewhere unfamiliar I tell them couple hundred, he isn't full blood. You never know who might want to steal them.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think it's rude to ask anyone, about how much they paid for anything. But I also think you were stressed cause Remi was stressed. So the a-holes question annoyed you more than it normally would. By the way, I don't remember ever being asked how much Blue cost, but it seems to be very common from everything I've read here.. :confused: ...

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
I hate hate hate when someone asks me that :cursing: and I get asked that a lot! Some people just have no manners ... Once someone came up to me and said is it true those dogs are really expensive? how much did you pay for that one?? I was shocked and so peeved off that he treated my dog as if he was just a thing with no other than money value..I just looked at him and told him: expensive? well, if you have to ask you probably can't afford him :D .... I was feeling brave that day and it felt good, but I usually ignore those people and walk away as if I didn't understand or didn't hear the question, because I am really scared of those who steal them... that's always in my head and I'm very wary.
When someone "nicer" comes to me and asks I usually start talking about vet bills and this and that and don't really give a number. I always say find a good breeder and ask them..... oh BTW [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I also got asked once if Ulysses was a pitbull, I was like what? a pitbull? well, oh yeah of course he is! the noisy couple just walked away as if they had seen a ghost :)

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I hate it when people ask too. You don't know if they are really interested or wanting to steal your baby. I always tell them that Punk is not a registered bulldog and that she has no papers and fixed to boot.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online