Bullies Swimming????

lacee

Dec 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
mollee
Ive recently moved and now have an inground swimming pool. It is worrying me sick thinking that my bully Mollee cant swim if she were to get in it. She is very hesitant around it and doesn't seem to like it or be curious about it at all. Id like to keep it that way but i am worried she will get used to it and maybe want to find out what its all about. I just am not comfortable with the thought of her getting in and not being able to get out. Its really worrying me sick like she is one of my kids that cant swim.

So my question is, should i be worried or am i kinda overacting??? My oldest son (age 14)calls me a helicopter mom (always hoovering and watching out) and he said thats what im doing to Mollee too. I would just die if something happened to my babe though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You should be concerned... most Bulldogs can not swim. there are a few members here with pools or nearby lakes. Get a life jacket and put it on her when she is outside near or will be near the pool.
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Im a helicopter mom too when it comes to Vegas, we live in Florida where it is already 100 today with heat index, it is only in and out to potty this time of year. I do have a pool but I have a 4 ft. baby gate that completely surrounds the pool and locks, that way I don't ever have to worry about Vegas accidently falling in. I am ANAL about when I am not using the pool that the gate is locked at all times!! It is worth looking into just to have piece of mind.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Lulu swims. And trust she is not scared of water.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
You should be concerned... most Bulldogs can not swim. there are a few members here with pools or nearby lakes. Get a life jacket and put it on her when she is outside near or will be near the pool.
@KMARINO @JeannieCO

Lulu swims. And trust she is not scared of water.
I don't think you're being a helicopter mom at all. Many rescues won't even let you adopt if there's not a fence around your inground pool. There's no such thing as being too cautious...I had Chumley by my side last summer as I was vacuuming the pool. he stays far away from the edge at all times but he gets freaked out whenever someone raises a stick or a broom or rake for some reason. I lifted the vacuum pole out of the water and turned around. He ran away from the pole and fell right in the water. He sank to the bottom and I jumped in and had him out in less than 3 seconds. Aside from being wet and scared he was ok but I kept thinking what if that had been the deep end? how would I get a 65 lb dog out of 9 feet of water? I did what [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said and bought a life vest for him but he won't even go through the fence gate anymore which is good. .youre not being a helicopter..better safe than sorry!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
I have to agree with everyone else a fence of some type around it and a life jacket because unfortunatley these furkids are like 2 year old skin kids, if you turn your back there in it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had mutual friend of friend in San Diego who had a bulldog, they told me that theirs died, they had a pool in their backyard and she never went near it. One day they let her out and when they called her back in she never came, they found her stuck in the pool cover (it was winter). How tragic and so preventable.

We have a 6 ft gate around ours and they can only go in there if we are in there with them.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
We just bought a house with a pool as well, and we're going to install alarms on the pool. If anyone falls into the pool it sounds an alarm.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
bulldogs and life jackets are a must for sure, hopefully you can put up a fence of some sort to protect your precious baby and for times when you let your baby in the water a life jacket will make a pool day safe and fun for all.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.