Bulldog Likes Laying Outside in the Heat?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
How about if you have them out by the pool? I bought Amber a life jacket recently and i'll throw her in the pool to cool her down.

It really just depends on what the pool water temperature is on whether or not it will really cool them down or not. If they water's cold and it's in the shade than imo yes it does help keep them cooled. Wilson loves to be in the sun and will plopped him self down on our deck in the backyard. Depending on how warm it is (could even be high 80's or even 90's, I do let him lay out there but ONLY for a few minutes, never long enough to him to pant, and then I scoot him back in. I do watch him when the weather's above 75 as he'd lay out there all dang day. He's not out there running around in the heat he's laying down but the danger is still there of overheating. He has a pool in on the deck too that he goes in all the time.

At the campsite we have a small plastic baby pool that we fill up. It really does help when it's in the 90's outside and they all want to be outside. Wilson just hits the pool which I put in the shade for him.

Be very careful with the heat, as you've heard it's extremely dangerous for our wonderful Bulldogs.

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas also loves to sun himself in the mornings, I give him about 5 minutes outside before I bring him in. I also have a pool and even though Vegas loves to stand on the top step and observe I still only give him less than 10 minutes. We live in Florida and today with heat index it was 100 degrees out, I only let him go out to potty and right back in this time of year.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bullies LOVE to sun bathe, but as everyone has stated, by the time they are panting, they are already too hot. Be very careful and limit the time in the heat

hoopdid

Nov 27, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaeger
Jaeger loves to bask in the sun! He'll go out and lay in the grass for awhile. If it's hot outside I'll give him a few minutes then chase him inside. He will lay by the sliding doors in the sun all day long if he's not lounging in my EZ-chair!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Both mine LOVE sunbathing. Being in Canada we dont have too many days of concern but it does get pretty hot and humid in the summer. I let them do it for 10 minutes or so. When I put them in the house they go straight for the vents where the air conditioning is coming out. Last time, one of them had their collar (with tags) on, which normally they never have on when in the house, but we he lied on the vent, the tags got stuck in the vent and he was pinned to the floor. I didnt' realize for like 10 mins that he was stuck... Gotta watch out for that lol.

Hahaha mine like to lay right on the vent too!

This leads me to another question though - I am also in Canada and like [MENTION=3990]gracoliv[/MENTION], I let mine sunbathe for short periods of time when it is less than 20 degrees celcius out. I know when they're panting they are way too hot. My question is for [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - when I walk them (even in the winter!) they are panting like crazy even when it is chilly. Is this overheating, or are they out of shape?! I walked them for about 20 minutes the other evening, and although it was cool here (12 degrees celcius), and I was in pants and a hoodie, they were panting like crazy. I always stress this is overheating...!?:confused:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hahaha mine like to lay right on the vent too!

This leads me to another question though - I am also in Canada and like @gracoliv, I let mine sunbathe for short periods of time when it is less than 20 degrees celcius out. I know when they're panting they are way too hot. My question is for @kazzy220 - when I walk them (even in the winter!) they are panting like crazy even when it is chilly. Is this overheating, or are they out of shape?! I walked them for about 20 minutes the other evening, and although it was cool here (12 degrees celcius), and I was in pants and a hoodie, they were panting like crazy. I always stress this is overheating...!?:confused:

Bullys really don't do well as a general rule in extreme temperatures. So it can be from being too hot, too cold or in a stressful situation. All of these things can present with the exact same symptoms. So if you read up on what to look out for to know when they are too hot, then you can also look out for the same type of signs in cold weather and when you know that they are anxious. The treatment is the same.

Members online

No members online now.