Bulldog Likes Laying Outside in the Heat?

athomewithkyle

Mar 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber
Me and my bulldog Amber live in blazing hot Arizona. On multiple occasions I have found Amber laying outside when I let her out to go to the bathroom (note: it's 108 degrees here right now). Every time I can catch her laying outside, I bring her inside fearing it's too hot outside for her. Is it alright to let her lay out there for a bit if she's not running around? She's never panting when I catch her laying outside.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:eek: They love laying in the sun...but just like skin kids, they don't know what is good and bad! Bully's have lost their lives in 70 degree weather. If I were you..in and out only! No sunbathing at all. Even though it seems mean, you are saving her life! :)

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is 8 months old and this is his first summer. Being an OEB I thought he may tolerate the heat fairly good. Well I have already noticed a difference on how hot he gets and so quickly. It was 95 degrees today in North Florida where I live. And our dogs were out at their regular times. Early morning before sun rise, at noon for potty, and then when I get home I take Ace out to exercise a bit and will walk him on leash some. I have curtailed it to about a third or less of time spent being outside and active for even though Ace wants to go more I can tell by his breathing and pausing in his activity that its too much so I stop it well before he is ready. OEB or not the heat affects him and unlike any dog I have had in the past. So I'm extra careful not to let him overdue it

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby is a sun worshiper as well. He even lays on the floor where the seem shines in through the drapes. I don't really like it but he loves it and as soon as I'm done chasing him away from the sun he has settled into a new spot. These bullies I tell ya :bitching:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I have the same concern. Chumley loves to lie in the sun..he doesn't pant either so I didn't think it was a problem.After reading some of these posts Ill be stopping it now. He looks like he enjoys it so much though!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They do love to sun. Ours will go out and sun and I limit their time to about 10 minutes, if its not too hot out. In the middle of the day, it's in and out.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
There is no way a bully should be sunbathing .... which is a shame because they really do love to lie out in the sun!! By the time your bully is panting he's already too hot.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
We live in AZ too! I'm way too paranoid about the heat. We go on longer walks in the early morning and late evening. We go out around 11 each morning and I let her check the bushes for lizards to chase but that's usually a quick outing too. Other than that she just goes out for quick potty breaks.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk loves the summer time. She stays in during the day, but when I get home she is outside most of the time. My backyard is very shaded, so it isn't so bad. But when she starts to pant I make her stay inside and of course - stink eye time ! :bitching:

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Both mine LOVE sunbathing. Being in Canada we dont have too many days of concern but it does get pretty hot and humid in the summer. I let them do it for 10 minutes or so. When I put them in the house they go straight for the vents where the air conditioning is coming out. Last time, one of them had their collar (with tags) on, which normally they never have on when in the house, but we he lied on the vent, the tags got stuck in the vent and he was pinned to the floor. I didnt' realize for like 10 mins that he was stuck... Gotta watch out for that lol.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my 3 love the sun, we've been having some hot days ... like 113 type of hot! I let them outside to potty but I am out with them, I figure if I stand there and watch them they won't want to spend as much time picking the perfect spot. But I guess that is where working the graveyard shift helps, I sleep through the hottest time of the day so only one potty trip during the extreme heat, the rest of the time they are snuggled up with me in the AC ... but I totally agree you have to be super careful when it comes to bulldogs and heat!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven gets to lie in the sun maybe five minutes and then she has to go back inside or she can get under the table in the shade of the umbrella. Sometimes she will go to the back of the yard and lay in the shaded grass. I monitor her very carefully. She does love to get some sun.

OP
A

athomewithkyle

Mar 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber
How about if you have them out by the pool? I bought Amber a life jacket recently and i'll throw her in the pool to cool her down.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would still be very careful but I'm going to tag [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] who I know lets her bullys in the water when they go away for the weekend. Jeannie may be able to tell you if this allows them to stay out in the heat for longer.

Heff102

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours!
Community Veteran
Jul 7, 2012
Humboldt, SK
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
In the house Lulu will lie in the sun shinning through the windows. We never monitor it inside and have never had a problem. Outside we watch more closely but she tends to get up and move to the shade or come into the house when she gets to hot. Sorry but I dont believe in helicopter dog parenting. She also has plenty of water to drink outside along with a doggy pool. I live in Northern Canada so extreme heat aint a problem here! Now how many of you have the problem of them going outside and literally freezing in place when it is -40!! Have to run out and pick her up and carry her back in. Or they stand in one place rotating raising paws because they get so cold. Or refusing to go out to pee etc because it is to cold.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.