Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulldog Likes Laying Outside in the Heat?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog Likes Laying Outside in the Heat?

How about if you have them out by the pool? I bought Amber a life jacket recently and i'll throw her in the pool to cool her down.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I would still be very careful but I'm going to tag @JeannieCO who I know lets her bullys in the water when they go away for the weekend. Jeannie may be able to tell you if this allows them to stay out in the heat for longer.

I will show you my thingy if you show me yours! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Philippe
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lulu
    Likes (Received)

In the house Lulu will lie in the sun shinning through the windows. We never monitor it inside and have never had a problem. Outside we watch more closely but she tends to get up and move to the shade or come into the house when she gets to hot. Sorry but I dont believe in helicopter dog parenting. She also has plenty of water to drink outside along with a doggy pool. I live in Northern Canada so extreme heat aint a problem here! Now how many of you have the problem of them going outside and literally freezing in place when it is -40!! Have to run out and pick her up and carry her back in. Or they stand in one place rotating raising paws because they get so cold. Or refusing to go out to pee etc because it is to cold.
    Last edited by Heff102; 06-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by athomewithkyle View Post
    How about if you have them out by the pool? I bought Amber a life jacket recently and i'll throw her in the pool to cool her down.
    It really just depends on what the pool water temperature is on whether or not it will really cool them down or not. If they water's cold and it's in the shade than imo yes it does help keep them cooled. Wilson loves to be in the sun and will plopped him self down on our deck in the backyard. Depending on how warm it is (could even be high 80's or even 90's, I do let him lay out there but ONLY for a few minutes, never long enough to him to pant, and then I scoot him back in. I do watch him when the weather's above 75 as he'd lay out there all dang day. He's not out there running around in the heat he's laying down but the danger is still there of overheating. He has a pool in on the deck too that he goes in all the time.

At the campsite we have a small plastic baby pool that we fill up. It really does help when it's in the 90's outside and they all want to be outside. Wilson just hits the pool which I put in the shade for him.

Be very careful with the heat, as you've heard it's extremely dangerous for our wonderful Bulldogs.
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 06-13-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas also loves to sun himself in the mornings, I give him about 5 minutes outside before I bring him in. I also have a pool and even though Vegas loves to stand on the top step and observe I still only give him less than 10 minutes. We live in Florida and today with heat index it was 100 degrees out, I only let him go out to potty and right back in this time of year.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Bullies LOVE to sun bathe, but as everyone has stated, by the time they are panting, they are already too hot. Be very careful and limit the time in the heat
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jaeger
    Likes (Received)

Jaeger loves to bask in the sun! He'll go out and lay in the grass for awhile. If it's hot outside I'll give him a few minutes then chase him inside. He will lay by the sliding doors in the sun all day long if he's not lounging in my EZ-chair!

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gracoliv View Post
    Both mine LOVE sunbathing. Being in Canada we dont have too many days of concern but it does get pretty hot and humid in the summer. I let them do it for 10 minutes or so. When I put them in the house they go straight for the vents where the air conditioning is coming out. Last time, one of them had their collar (with tags) on, which normally they never have on when in the house, but we he lied on the vent, the tags got stuck in the vent and he was pinned to the floor. I didnt' realize for like 10 mins that he was stuck... Gotta watch out for that lol.
    Hahaha mine like to lay right on the vent too!

This leads me to another question though - I am also in Canada and like @gracoliv, I let mine sunbathe for short periods of time when it is less than 20 degrees celcius out. I know when they're panting they are way too hot. My question is for @kazzy220 - when I walk them (even in the winter!) they are panting like crazy even when it is chilly. Is this overheating, or are they out of shape?! I walked them for about 20 minutes the other evening, and although it was cool here (12 degrees celcius), and I was in pants and a hoodie, they were panting like crazy. I always stress this is overheating...!?
    My whole world

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    Hahaha mine like to lay right on the vent too!

This leads me to another question though - I am also in Canada and like @gracoliv, I let mine sunbathe for short periods of time when it is less than 20 degrees celcius out. I know when they're panting they are way too hot. My question is for @kazzy220 - when I walk them (even in the winter!) they are panting like crazy even when it is chilly. Is this overheating, or are they out of shape?! I walked them for about 20 minutes the other evening, and although it was cool here (12 degrees celcius), and I was in pants and a hoodie, they were panting like crazy. I always stress this is overheating...!?
    Bullys really don't do well as a general rule in extreme temperatures. So it can be from being too hot, too cold or in a stressful situation. All of these things can present with the exact same symptoms. So if you read up on what to look out for to know when they are too hot, then you can also look out for the same type of signs in cold weather and when you know that they are anxious. The treatment is the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads