Himalayan Dog Chews?

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of these? Mia easily loses interest in her chew toys, and would rather focus her attention on chewing us... or anything else in the house she's not supposed to! Of course I redirect her to a chew toy, but depending on her mood, it's a constant struggle. I'm not giving her rawhide, bones, or bully stix (which I did once before I knew better, and of course she loved it). I saw these on the "doggyloot" website and they sound interesting. They are made in Nepal. Thought I would check with those of you who know WAY more about this stuff than me! I'm learning :)
Mia is now 15 weeks and 21.6 lbs.!! :luv:

P.S. Is it just my house that toys go missing in??!! ;)

"The famous Himalayan Dog Chew is back by popular demand! They're available in small, medium, large, and XL for all kinds of pups. During service as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nepal, the company founders rescued an abandoned puppy. As the dog was teething and there was no access to the plethora of products available here in the United States, they improvised. The locals gave her an ancient traditional recipe made with yak and cow milk and all-natural products - free of chemicals or preservatives. These chews are a wonder - one of the longest-lasting chews available! They're typically hardier than bully sticks and will give dogs something tasty to work on for hours."

287-A.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I hope someone comes back and has had experience with these. Our 14 week old @20 pounds sounds a lot like yours. Those darn little daggers are sharep, arent they? lol
I dont know if I would try these or not. If they are truly from Nepal they are coming from a 3rd world country and you just dont know what they would put into something like this.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
And they don't know how much those teeth hurt either! She doens't even give when I "yelp"! Yes I agree... I was on board until I read where they were made. There's got to be something good for them that they'd rather chew on then people ;)
I hope someone comes back and has had experience with these. Our 14 week old @20 pounds sounds a lot like yours. Those darn little daggers are sharep, arent they? lol
I dont know if I would try these or not. If they are truly from Nepal they are coming from a 3rd world country and you just dont know what they would put into something like this.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We just tried one for Aubie and she loves it. I agree that they are messy though.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
@JAKEISGREST [MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] thanks for the feedback! Good to know about the mess :excited::crazy:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just got a couple for my boys as well, over the weekend. I only let them chew these outside b/c of the slobbery mess they make with it. I do get a little concerned when the chew gets on the "nubby" and short side tho, because Tate can really put that thing in his mouth and i fear he'll choke. So when it gets shorter, I watch him close. The package says you can pop it in the microwave to soften it up at that point and break off the pieces as treats.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I bought one for Bogey when he was 5 months old. Loved it the first couple of times he chewed it, then it sat in his toybox for weeks. I brougt it with us when we came to Ct in April and took it out the other day- it's like he is playing with an old friend. go figure! They are a little messy, but worth the "chew time".

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] great feedback :) Thx!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

Upon reading further about these chews, I believe the company goes through some pretty excellent quality control measures. Check out their site which explains a bit of the manufacturing process as well as the ingredients in the chews.

Here's a quote from their site:
Most of our Himalayan Dog Chew (made with Yak and Cow Milk) comes from the shaded region (in the map to the right) of the Himalayas in Nepal. Remaining come from a Dairy Farm (made with Cow Milk) in Moses Lake, WA.

30% of the total work is done by the farmers who milk the yaks and cows, turn them into cheese, and cook them under the sun and smoke.

10% of the work is done at our facilities in Kathmandu Nepal such as quality check, cleaning and sorting.

The remaining 60% of the work is done at our facility at Mukilteo, WA such as resorting, dehydrating, cutting, packaging and shipping.

@karenp

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've never heard of them. I looked them up and saw the info that Henny posted - that when they get small not to throw them away but instead to put them in the microwave and it makes them bigger and softer after.

:hmm: might have to check these out.

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
I haven't ordered anything from here yet, but I signed up and get emails all the time about specials :) Here's the link if anyone is interesed! **link removed**

doggy loot

Last edited by a moderator:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I haven't ordered anything from here yet, but I signed up and get emails all the time about specials :) Here's the link if anyone is interesed! **link removed** doggy loot

Karen, thanks. I had to remove the link though. :whistle: Links are ok if they're informational or from one of the approved sites listed in the forum rules. I'm sure you understand. :)

OP
KarenP

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] np :)

Most Reactions

Members online