Bullies on a Boat

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Do you guys ever take your bullies on boats?

I've taken Matilda a few times, and she LOVED it. Of course, we were extra prepared. She had her life jacket on, SPF 70 baby sunscreen, we spritzed her with cold water, in addition to having lots to drink!

My boyfriend has convinced me to let him take Til on the boat without me this weekend, as I'll be out of town, and I'm still totally worried that I won't be there. She'll have so much fun with his family and their dogs though, I couldn't say no.

We're always very prepared, especially on water.

What are your precautions for boats/beaches/pools etc?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We don't do boats but many here do. I would be anxious too tho. If I am not there to control everything I am always anxious with the kids. Lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We have a boat, but living in FL. and going out in the Gulf it can be 100 plus degrees, we have never taken Vegas. We also have a pool, Vegas can not swim. He is happy just standing on the first step and watching, but again I can only let him be outside for less than 10 minutes due to the high heat and humidity. I have a 4 ft. babygate completely surrounding our pool so that I can let him out in the fenced in yard and not have to worry about him getting into the pool and drowning. He's really not the "outdoorsy" type, he prefers inside, air very cool and cool tile :ROFL2:

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
It's so funny that they can't swim, right? I didn't realize that it's not just a physical issue - bullies don't really have the INSTINCT to swim, like other dogs do!

When we went to a home with a pool, Tilly had to wear her life jacket while in the yard, in addition to supervision. I then thought that maybe we should let her in the pool in the jacket a bit, just to see how she does. That way, if she were to get/fall in, she wouldn't panic. So, we put her in the pool while holding her and with her jacket on (which works very well), and what does she do? She sticks her tongue out because she LOVES water and is overjoyed. And then hits one paw very daintily in the water. Waits five full seconds. Then hits the other paw into the water. Waits five seconds.

Needless to say, regardless of just weight, Matilda would absolutely drown. She didn't even TRY to really swim! hahahaha

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Do you guys ever take your bullies on boats?

I've taken Matilda a few times, and she LOVED it. Of course, we were extra prepared. She had her life jacket on, SPF 70 baby sunscreen, we spritzed her with cold water, in addition to having lots to drink!

My boyfriend has convinced me to let him take Til on the boat without me this weekend, as I'll be out of town, and I'm still totally worried that I won't be there. She'll have so much fun with his family and their dogs though, I couldn't say no.

We're always very prepared, especially on water.

What are your precautions for boats/beaches/pools etc?

Do I take the bullies on the boat, absolutely NOT. No no no. We don't for a several reasons: First, its' too hot. Second, they'd have to have their life jacket on at all times. Third, it's too hot. Four, my husband knows a person who took their bulldog on their boat a fews years back and well, he jumped off and sank to the bottom of the lake. :( That's not a chance I'm willing to take cause I took their jacket off on the boat. And Five, it's too hot.

I wish we did cause they would love it, well Emma would. Wilson would just be a complete PITA.

I know Ann, [MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION], takes Dubbie on their boat but I just can't do it. We spend quite a bit of time at the lake during the summer but the only boat time Emma & Wilson will ever get is when we come back and the boat's at the campsite. Then they get to go on the boat - it's good enough for them and me. We take them to the shore with their jackets and they have a blast.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
You know, it really doesn't get too hot where we go - usually low 70's, and the boat gets really cold when moving. We've never taken Til out on the rare hotter days. And you're right, Life Jacket stays on AT ALL TIMES on the boat, so you definitely need to make sure it's not too hot!

Most Reactions