4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
OK, so Dooley and I are Kennel training....... or I am trying and he is wanting no part of it. Its been 5 days now and he is starting to get horse. He does good at night but im next to him where he can see me and usually only whines for a minute or two before falling asleep. But during the day Im guessing he is in there yelping/barking/whining his little but off for hours at a time. Earlier at lunch he was trying to bark at a box the ups man dropped off and was having quite a hard time doing so and when he did it sounded as if his vocals were strained. Much like a human who is horse.

Is this a bad thing? Is this pretty much normal behavior for an 8 week puppy who is being kennel trained? What advise do the experts have to make this transition easier for him? Ive tried socks and shirts (scent reasons), toys and a blanket over the kennel. All trying to make him more comfortable but Im thinking this isnt working. Or am I doing everything ok and he just needs more time to adjust?

Thanks

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
I always fed my dogs in their kennel- morning and night- and that seemed to make the kennel a more "pleasurable" place to be. The point is to use the kennel for their safe place- so just make sure not to use it for discipline.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I have not tried feeding him in there. I will have to do this this evening. He only goes in the Kennel when I go to work and at night to sleep. We have played in and around the kennel trying to show him its not a "bad" place.

Last edited:
OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Have you looked at any sort of pen setup vs using the crate during the day? That is what we do with Bacon, and have done since we got him. He has a daypen setup for during the day and then he sleeps in his crate at night.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
We have a very, very large fully fenced in pen for Ruby during the day while I am at work and when it is sleep time in the only time she is in the travel crate. All other times she is out and we have the mop in the ready position just in case we aren't as quick and she is. She kn ows the cra te is for sleeping but in the morning as soon as sunshine lights up the window she is howling to get out of there.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hey Becky Ive read this and was trying to replicate the advise in this article. Just not having to much luck yet

Oh..sorry if I already gave you that! It worked like a charm for jake...but as we know, they are each very "special". Maybe [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has some advice!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have found that some of our Bully Babes are more stubborn than others and it just plain takes them longer to accept things like being in a crate. Plus, if you give in to them once they will try, try, try again. Be firm and consistent. Dooley will accept being in his "house"!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
019.jpg009.jpg when I had puppies, I would set up an area near the kitchen like this. Very convenient if you can do it. the fencing was very inexpensive and I bought it at petsmart, latched it onto the crates and it's perfect

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
He is proving to be real stubborn. Lol. That's fine if he is, I guess I was looking for some reassurance that I was going about this the right way. I may move his kennel into the living room and see if that helps him. I don't really have the space to make a pin type area for him.

Thanks for the advice, and now pics for your viewing pleasure. :2thumbs:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 130

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He is proving to be real stubborn. Lol. That's fine if he is, I guess I was looking for some reassurance that I was going about this the right way. I may move his kennel into the living room and see if that helps him. I don't really have the space to make a pin type area for him.

Thanks for the advice, and now pics for your viewing pleasure. :2thumbs:

:eek: No Way....a stubborn bully! Just show him you are even more stubborn...it won't take him long..He's sooooo wonderful....:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When we have pups, and we have two 3 week old ones now, and when they get about 5 weeks old we set up a playpen with their crate inside like the one [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] showed, so they can sleep in it if they want to and can move around the pen when they want. You can make the playpen out of X-pens, or the plastic playpen ones for doggies. That may make him happier. Plus if you don't have a wire crate, I would get one. They like these better and stay cooler in them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wha a cutie pie

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.