Really feel like giveing up on coco.

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
So as u all know by my other posts since coco was a pup I have had problem after problems. Vets bills over £3500. (Glad av got insurance ). But still the stress an worry has been awfull. Well she's fine after her spay she has now heal and is back to normal. !!! We treat her like a queen but she knows that we're the boss and I would trust her with my life !!
She is house "trained" she will hold to be let out and stand at the door when she wants out... Well these last cupple of week she's started peeing in the house we got checked for a uti but clear the vet recons behavioural !? How is this even possible she's been good for as long as a can remember. Well the last straw came this morning. She sleeps in her own bed in our bedroom well I got up cause of the smell she had pooed in her bed. On the carpet. Well I took one look and bust out crying :( I just don't think I can cope no more with her ano you mite be thinking its only poop but this behaviour has come from no were :(. A just don't no what to do no more :(. Thanks for letting me vent guys. :).

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Thanks hunny. Yes we take her out rain sleet or snow and she cleans her self before bed. :(. We do have a crate but she poos in there it's as if she's doing it on purpose. :/. We notice this behaviour starts when we don't give her as much attention thro the day. ?? Al put her in the kitchen tonight a cant cope with my carpets smelling. X

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Things like that can be really frustrating. It took Stella about a year to be good and potty trained. Maybe it's time for Coco to start sleeping in a crate? I would guess she will be less likely to mess in an area she knows she has to sleep in?

Good luck with her...it will pass and I'm sure she will be super sweet to make up for it :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Angie is right. Back to basics is the best thing I can suggest -- and when I mean basics; I mean basics. Remember all that potty training stuff you did when she was a wee pup? Go back to that. Strict potty schedule. Crate time when unsupervised. Keep a few cookies in your pocket and start again rewarding for pee/poop when she goes outside. Lotsa GOOD GIRLS for successful bathroom visits.

Its super difficult for anyone --even a professional behaviorist (which I am NOT) -- to diagnose a problem by reading a short post on a forum. There are so many factors that go into why something may be happening and in general - it's usually the human that has the problem -- not the dog. :yes:

When we get a new family member, we don't begin the relationship by proclaiming, "I will love you and take care of you forever --- OR UNTIL you do something I don't like." You have a pup you would "trust with your life" -- yet, you aren't prepared to weather the occasional challenge in the relationship? Its my belief that these challenges build relationships. Most folks want that "Lassie" style relationship with their dog, right? But there's work involved. Dogs just don't become "bad" overnight. There's more afoot.

Also please consider the hormonal changes going on with Coco. She's just had a major surgery. After I had my gall bladder surgery, I peed the bed once. I'm sure glad my dog didn't give up on me back then. I needed her love and support. Just like Coco needs yours.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well identifying the problem is half of it with bullies. im wondering has something changed as bullies are very routine oriented and they dont like it being changed. im not saying you cant change it but they dont like it. also perhaps you can carve out some time to just have one on one with your bully before bed. give her lots of attention and then go to bed. i find that if i rub sarahs booty in bed for like several minutes before we go to sleep she lays down and is more willing to go to sleep and just is better. perhaps some walks during the day just you and her. i had to go back to basics with sarah here several months ago as she got very aggressive with the boys for a bit. hang in there dear. i know as much as anyone how frustrating a bully can be and how sometimes you just want to cry but then there are times when its good and those are the times you live for. hang in there dear. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You have the reason and the great advice from the previous posts..... she needs more structure, she is in her toddler years now and also can be some changes due to the spay.

Read on line about 'Nothing in Life is Free'... it will give you some great information and do as others have said back to basics with her.

As someone else posted, this is not just a Coco thing many, many pups do this could be any reason, but some are toddler years, more attention, pain, a change in schedule, etc. etc..

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
You"ve gotten some good advice, especially from @Vicaroo. Behavior changes need to be looked at starting with the human. Maybe it's attention seeking, maybe it's the surgery, maybe it's something you are not even aware of. ALWAYS go back to the starting gate when trying to correct problems. I would have that pup by my side during the day-no freedom of the house until they earn it. If she is peeing or pooping in her crate, remove all bedding and keep the area as small as possible. Time out of the crate should be well supervised, even attaching a leash to your hip. A few days of this might just show her what is expected. I know you are frustrated, but please don't give up on her! Pretend she just arrived in your home, and go from there. Patience, consistency and love will correct a lot of problems. Your schedule with her should be the SAME every day!! Dogs like routine, and maybe the surgery and other things got her out of sync. Good luck!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
It can be exasperating at times with dogs that you care about. I don't know of any easy fix or I would certainly recommend it. It's hard to take one problem after another, But if its possible see each one as a separate issue to cope with. It's remembering the problems and setting them side by side in our minds that sometimes get to us and drive us to wit's end. But if we can take each one on its own its not as frustrating and doesn't produce as much anxiety. We have had our issues as well and I have been frustrated many times too, your not the only one and your dog is not some special case of weirdness .I mentioned this morning to my wife that at times I'm " the dog shouter" instead of the dog whisperer. If you can rule out any physical problems and know its simply a matter of the dog learning and to develop good habits it may relieve some stress. I still think you can win at this and work it out. I'm cheering for you and sorry for you too that it has been so frustrating at times

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Sounds like you identified the problem...she's seeking attention. Like kids any attention is good...so if they feel neglected they play up to get told off.
I know its hard when your mad...but...If she is naughty and pees or poops in the house. clean her mess...take your frustration out on that, even grumble at the mess while you clean it, totally ignore Coco...no shouting, nothing.
Take treats on your walks and when she does her business make a real fuss of her...good girl etc...like you did when she was a puppy.
Coco wants you to be happy with her and wants the fuss so hopefully jsut stepping back to basics and really being OTT when she poops outside may help.

Gooluck hunny xx

Thanks lovely. A will try that with the treats. I have put her put in the yard today and I'm ignoring her fingers crossed x

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Things like that can be really frustrating. It took Stella about a year to be good and potty trained. Maybe it's time for Coco to start sleeping in a crate? I would guess she will be less likely to mess in an area she knows she has to sleep in?

Good luck with her...it will pass and I'm sure she will be super sweet to make up for it :)

Hopefully it will pass soon a font no were else to turn. I think I will try the crate again but a no for sure she will poop and pee in it :(. X

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Angie is right. Back to basics is the best thing I can suggest -- and when I mean basics; I mean basics. Remember all that potty training stuff you did when she was a wee pup? Go back to that. Strict potty schedule. Crate time when unsupervised. Keep a few cookies in your pocket and start again rewarding for pee/poop when she goes outside. Lotsa GOOD GIRLS for successful bathroom visits.

Its super difficult for anyone --even a professional behaviorist (which I am NOT) -- to diagnose a problem by reading a short post on a forum. There are so many factors that go into why something may be happening and in general - it's usually the human that has the problem -- not the dog. :yes:

When we get a new family member, we don't begin the relationship by proclaiming, "I will love you and take care of you forever --- OR UNTIL you do something I don't like." You have a pup you would "trust with your life" -- yet, you aren't prepared to weather the occasional challenge in the relationship? Its my belief that these challenges build relationships. Most folks want that "Lassie" style relationship with their dog, right? But there's work involved. Dogs just don't become "bad" overnight. There's more afoot.

Also please consider the hormonal changes going on with Coco. She's just had a major surgery. After I had my gall bladder surgery, I peed the bed once. I'm sure glad my dog didn't give up on me back then. I needed her love and support. Just like Coco needs yours.

I am prepared to weather the occasional challenge in the relationship! That's why am on here asking for help and we give coco love and support but after a while of it it starts to get you down.. A dog going from we'll behaved to this isn't what are use and i have put up with it for a while too so as u can imagine so its stressful and I can guarantee you that the "problem" isn't with us it's with coco nothing has change her routine is the same no family member has been added to the family! I understand that she has hormonal change but its been over 3 week now and coco knows right from wrong she knows its wrong to go to the toilet in the house.

OP
Cocosmammy123

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
well identifying the problem is half of it with bullies. im wondering has something changed as bullies are very routine oriented and they dont like it being changed. im not saying you cant change it but they dont like it. also perhaps you can carve out some time to just have one on one with your bully before bed. give her lots of attention and then go to bed. i find that if i rub sarahs booty in bed for like several minutes before we go to sleep she lays down and is more willing to go to sleep and just is better. perhaps some walks during the day just you and her. i had to go back to basics with sarah here several months ago as she got very aggressive with the boys for a bit. hang in there dear. i know as much as anyone how frustrating a bully can be and how sometimes you just want to cry but then there are times when its good and those are the times you live for. hang in there dear. :)

thanks. I will try the crate see if that helps x

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You got great advice from Angie, back to basics, take away bedding, blankets, back in the crate at night, and you could. Try putting her on her leash when she's in the house with you, then you will see the signs and take her out when she shows signs of having to go. Good luck.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hopefully it will pass soon a font no were else to turn. I think I will try the crate again but a no for sure she will poop and pee in it :(. X

One more small piece of advice: I am not a great fan of Ceaser Milan, but he does have some interesting theories. One I like the most is always think what you want your dog to do. If you think they will fail at something, they most likely will. It's a sort of kinetic energy. Visualize in your mind what you want the dog to do, and strive for success. When you put her in her crate (without bedding!), focus on the clean crate you will have in the morning. Talk to her, let her know what you expect. Set her up for success, not failure! Oh how these bullies work us!! Good luck!!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Oh dear Tubby pooped in his little area this morning and I felt the same getting out of bed too! But then he came over after it was all done put his head in my lap and looked up at me with that irresistible underbite and licked my hand. All of the anxiety just seemed to wash away. I've had other dogs too and none of them have ever been as unpredictable or expensive like Tubby has been but I can also tell you none of them has ever had a personality like him!

Sending you lots of hugs and support

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online