POTTY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
Rebel is almost 5 months old and still potties in the house, i keep thinking he should be trained by now is it still early?

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Hi.....forde did great with his potty training..i want to say around 10 weeks or so....not saying he didn't have an accident or two but most times his accidents were from me not knowing what he was trying to tell me........i would think in 5mths your bully should be trained....but there are others here that can help you and give you good advice about what to do.....let me add that he sure is a handsome thing!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Some are and some are not. Both of my boys were almost there at 5 months and had a relapse so that they were 99% at about six months. You can go back to day one for awhile, that usually helps at this point.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber took a little bit to potty train and I think by 6 months old she was fully trained with just the occasional mistake. Ruby is right at 4 months old and still makes mistakes but in her defense it is us humans that fails her when that happens. She tries to get to the door and scratches but we are the ones slower than she needs us to be. Stay consistent and before you know it he will be trained.....be patient......our mop stays in the bath tube in the ready position. Little pinesol or lemon Mr. Clean and we are good to go.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I would say 5-6 months is about right. Samson one day at 5 months was potty-trained...never an accident or relapse unless he was sick. Petunia, well she is a DIVA. Sadly, I think she pees on stuff when she is left alone in a strange place...but she is potty trained and was by 6 months. Keep at it...it will click one day!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
They often backtrack about 6 months of age. If he has never totally been housebroken, he should be farther long. The technique that works the quickest is to put him on a leash in the house. You are then able to truly focus on what signals he is giving before it happens. You stop him..correct him and quickly outside. When he does his business successfully outside, you praise him to high heaven! I would go back to the beginning..out every hour and after eating and playing. If you need to unleash him, take him out first..then in a crate. When you release him..outside first, then back on a leash. This won't take long..at mst a couple f weeks and Rebel will catch on. It sounds like a pain..but compared to a dog who never truly gets housebroken...it's not!

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
wait im confused, im supposed to keep him on a leash while hes in the house?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Yup! Tried and true way to housebreak..especially an older pup or dog. What it does is make YOU focus on the signals you are missing. You are then able to preempt the bad behavior and reward the good.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

Yes. On a leash and connected to you so that you don't lose track of what he is doing. It's easy to get distracted and next thing you know there's a puddle nearby. If he's tied to you then he can't go off to leave the puddle, and you will be more apt to notice when he starts sniffing for a spot.

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
well i wish i could but im at work during the day so im guessing thats probably the issue

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I take it he isn't crated when you are at work?

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
no he stays in the kitchen , i cant bring myself to keep him in a crate for that long

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rebel is almost 5 months old and still potties in the house, i keep thinking he should be trained by now is it still early?

Wow, and at 5 weeks old, I hung a bell by the door, and was stunned to hear the toilet in the bathroom flush, and Rocky walking out with this relieved face….. I never did get him to pick up on ringing the bell though……… Danggit !!

Actually Katy, you've got some real good advice above, and the problem your faced with is the input up front on your part to get the desired results in the end from Rebel. It takes consistency in a routine schedule to get them potty trained, but it pays off for a life time in return! The attached leash is an excellent idea, proven practice actually…. None of these practices are currently being followed, or routine established is why Rebel is doing what he's doing…. I'm afraid the weekends probably won't be enough time to invest in his training.

OP
REBELBABY

REBELBABY

May 24, 2013
IDAHO
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
REBEL
so then i guess i need to find a dog walker

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
so then i guess i need to find a dog walker

I didn't realize you were away all day..just something to think over. He should be able to hold it for 8 hours..But he doesn't want to! Try tethering him to you on the weekend..give him an expedited course..if you can get someone to let him out at lunch time..that would help. Make his area as small as you can..they don't like to soil where they lay. It might take a bit longer..but it's so worth it..

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.