Traveling

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Hello, we are taking a vacation this week and bringing our dog with us. We have never had her in the car for more than a half hour and this will be a 7 hour trip, any advice or tips? Also we are going to North Carolina and will be hot and near pools and the beach, I dont plan on bringing her to the beach but I did get her a life jacket and Im wondering if anyone brings their EB in the pool?

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We take Winston everywhere with us basically from 5 minute rides to 8 hours! He is great in the car and loves looking out the window at all the cars going by. The only advice I have is to make sure to bring some chew toys for the ride to keep them occupied and some wipes to wipe those little paws after they take a potty break! You never know what they can pick up at a rest stop. Good luck, I hope you have a great vacation!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey was 6 months when we drove from Florida to Ct. He was the BEST passenger!! We drove 12 hours the first day, with only 2 stops, but we really let him run around during those times. We got to the hotel and he was as good as gold, then the next morning, we had 8 hours in front of us. He was just as good! We had lots of toys, but honestly, he slept most of the time. With occasional looking out the window! Have fun!
As for the beach, just watch the heat, but if he is in the water, he should be fine. Bogey has never gone in a pool so I can't answer for that, but there are others here who bring their bullies in without a problem! Life vest on of course!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Aubie does great in the car. Longest she has been is about 4 hours. We stop a couple times to let her stretch her legs. She used to get to wander around in the back seat, but she's got a doggie seat belt now so she just lays and sleeps since she can't run around in the seat.

She's never been in a pool, but she's been to the beach to play in the water. Be careful about them ingesting too much sea water if you do take her and watch out for the hot sand and concrete on the feet. Aubie loved the beach! Where we were didn't have but tiny, if any, waves and was shallow for a ways out, so she had a blast running and splashing around.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
We recently took Rumble swimming in a friends pool and he loved it. He was a little hesitant to jump in but once he was in he was really excited. Here is a picture for proof... 972258_813333132061_621842510_n.jpg

As far as traveling we have the same concerns since he has never been on a trip longer than a half hour. My advice would be to make sure that the bulldog is contained somehow in the car. Rumble has recently turned into a magician and can sneak out of his harness(we have tried one that he steps into and one that goes over his head and he sneaks out of both) while it is still attached to the car tether so we are looking into new ways to make sure he stays safe.

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
We recently took Rumble swimming in a friends pool and he loved it. He was a little hesitant to jump in but once he was in he was really excited. Here is a picture for proof... View attachment 45576

As far as traveling we have the same concerns since he has never been on a trip longer than a half hour. My advice would be to make sure that the bulldog is contained somehow in the car. Rumble has recently turned into a magician and can sneak out of his harness(we have tried one that he steps into and one that goes over his head and he sneaks out of both) while it is still attached to the car tether so we are looking into new ways to make sure he stays safe.

Rumble is too cute! I usually sit with Maggie on my lap which I know is not the safest, I hate to crate her for the ride but I may have too if I cant find a better alternative.

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Thanks for the answers. Im so excited to bring her, last trip she stayed with the grandparents and I missed her so much!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
We rarely travel without Lupe. She does great. I realize this is a little over the top, but you might consider keeping a gallon of purified or distilled water in the car and hotel. Sometimes the change in municipal tap water can upset a sensitive tummy that's already a little green from the car ride. And ditto on the parking lots---blacktop can get really hot in those rest areas! Have fun. Good times.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber is a world class traveler with my husband and daughter; they have made multiple trips to Grapeland Texas where our land and cattle are and some things that come to mind are: nice sleeping pallet for her to get comfortable in the back seat, spray bottle with a mix of water and lemon juice just in case she has breathing issues (hasn't been a problem, just are prepared), toys, a good harness and leash (tags for identification or permenant markings on harness with contact information), food and water with bowls, first aid kit (always in the truck anyway), wipes, frebreeze for those gassy moments, puppy pads and towels just in case they get sick, a can of carpet shampoo if you have to clean anything up, and make sure you lock the windows so they can only be opened by the driver (Amber likes to put her paws on the arm rest and opened the window once, that got our attention), ice chest full of ice (they love ice on the road and anytime else), and a roll of paper towels because you just never know. I think that about covers it, if I think of anything else I will add to the list but this is what we do every time mine are on the road. We usually stop every two hours and make sure you check for goat head stickers so they don't get in their paws, we experienced that once, upset us all. Good luck.

OP
maggies mom

maggies mom

Aug 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
Amber is a world class traveler with my husband and daughter; they have made multiple trips to Grapeland Texas where our land and cattle are and some things that come to mind are: nice sleeping pallet for her to get comfortable in the back seat, spray bottle with a mix of water and lemon juice just in case she has breathing issues (hasn't been a problem, just are prepared), toys, a good harness and leash (tags for identification or permenant markings on harness with contact information), food and water with bowls, first aid kit (always in the truck anyway), wipes, frebreeze for those gassy moments, puppy pads and towels just in case they get sick, a can of carpet shampoo if you have to clean anything up, and make sure you lock the windows so they can only be opened by the driver (Amber likes to put her paws on the arm rest and opened the window once, that got our attention), ice chest full of ice (they love ice on the road and anytime else), and a roll of paper towels because you just never know. I think that about covers it, if I think of anything else I will add to the list but this is what we do every time mine are on the road. We usually stop every two hours and make sure you check for goat head stickers so they don't get in their paws, we experienced that once, upset us all. Good luck.
What are goat head stickers?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
With a life jacket you can do pool and beach.... in the car, make sure you have water or ice and keep the car cool and someone should always stay with her if you stop.

Have a great safe and fun trip

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
What are goat head stickers?

Goat head stickers are stickers that have long sharp thorns on them and usually look like the horns of a goat. the sticker usually has three of them per sticker and the thorn is almost 1/4 inch long. It is extremely painful to step on them and they embed into the poor fool or animal that steps on them and when you try to take them out with your fingers they embed into the finger. Most painful sticker I have experienced. The vine usually start as this really soft mesh green vine and gets these little yellow flowers on them, thats when the stickers start to form. Anything growning in your yard that gets these tiny yellow flowers on it.......ripe it out with a vengence. The vine forms a star pattern and each vine grows several feet and each sticker it forms will produce yet another one of these plants. They are usually found in patches and are very common in dry areas, Texas and Arizona are notorious for these little buggers.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No help with the swimming part, but I do know plenty on here have had their bullys in pools with lifejackets on. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] immediately springs to mind!!

As for the travelling, I have never had to crate. I would use a harness and a nice fluffy blanket on the back seat. Mine all sleep after the initial excitement of setting off!!! :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hello, we are taking a vacation this week and bringing our dog with us. We have never had her in the car for more than a half hour and this will be a 7 hour trip, any advice or tips? Also we are going to North Carolina and will be hot and near pools and the beach, I dont plan on bringing her to the beach but I did get her a life jacket and Im wondering if anyone brings their EB in the pool?

Hi there :hiya:, we don't go to pools but we do go to the lake quite often during the summertime. Emma just over a 1.5 years now but last summer she had her first experience with the lake and swimming. She's a natural. But she does sink (we tested her on a leash to see) so she wears her life jacket. Even my pitties always had theirs on since it was a lake and wakes from boats or rough water from wind can come out of nowwhere and you when you need to get your dog out of the water in a hurry, nothing beats being able to grab that jacket and lift them up. Plus the actual act of drowning is virtually elimited with a properly fitted jacket. Here's a video of Emma swimming last summer. :sunny:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_oO39mWnk

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=mo1a8p50i#/watch?v=UvWIOGAEEyw

Last edited:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online