Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Traveling

No help with the swimming part, but I do know plenty on here have had their bullys in pools with lifejackets on. @JeannieCO immediately springs to mind!!

As for the travelling, I have never had to crate. I would use a harness and a nice fluffy blanket on the back seat. Mine all sleep after the initial excitement of setting off!!!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by maggies mom View Post
    Hello, we are taking a vacation this week and bringing our dog with us. We have never had her in the car for more than a half hour and this will be a 7 hour trip, any advice or tips? Also we are going to North Carolina and will be hot and near pools and the beach, I dont plan on bringing her to the beach but I did get her a life jacket and Im wondering if anyone brings their EB in the pool?
    Hi there , we don't go to pools but we do go to the lake quite often during the summertime. Emma just over a 1.5 years now but last summer she had her first experience with the lake and swimming. She's a natural. But she does sink (we tested her on a leash to see) so she wears her life jacket. Even my pitties always had theirs on since it was a lake and wakes from boats or rough water from wind can come out of nowwhere and you when you need to get your dog out of the water in a hurry, nothing beats being able to grab that jacket and lift them up. Plus the actual act of drowning is virtually elimited with a properly fitted jacket. Here's a video of Emma swimming last summer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_oO39mWnk

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m...?v=UvWIOGAEEyw
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 06-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

On the crate, I would just get an old comforter and take their dog beds.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)

When I have Rocky in the truck, which is nearly dailey, I always bring a bottle of refrigerated water for him. Anytime he gets hot, I give him a shot…. My vehicle is Air Conditioned, but in 90-95 degree weather, and he's in the back seat, I like to giver him every opportunity to stay kewl. The other thing I do is use a safety restraint, that I found on Amazon, That fastened to his harness, This limits the area he moves in, and keeps him safe in case of accident, I don't worry about my driving, but others tend to skeere me !! The chew toys or something to keep him occupied sounds like a great idea, and I've noticed about every two hours of driving, you'll pass a rest area, Most have security guards, usually all of them have a Pet walking area. Hope you enjoy your trip, and wishing a safe return…..

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Never, ever ever ever ever leave a dog in the car unattended. Ever. Stops at restaurants are now "to go" orders if you are traveling with your dog. Particularly in the heat of summer. It takes MINUTES to cook a normal nosed dog. Death by heatstroke is a horrible fate.

And, should anyone SEE a dog in a car while they're out traveling, print some of these off and stick them in your glove box like I do. Then, before you call the cops, you can leave the stupid people a nice note. (Thanks to member @RescueMe for these! Fortunately, I didn't have to use any last summer...)

-dont-cook-dog-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads