Question about Changing a Pets name

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I was reading an article on the internet, on the thoughts of adopting and rehoming Pets, And I read that in a few cases, Pets were renamed. What are your thoughts on renaming a Pet, and at what age do you think it's to late to rename one? Would you adopt a Pet and rename him/her or Rescue one if he/she had a known name, but you feel by renaming the Pet would make him feel more like yours? if you would change his/her name, what age is to old to change the name ? Thanks for your thoughts, and i'm anxious to read what you think, Y'all are the best for creative thinking lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I think it's okay to rename an adopted dog, if it would make the dog feel more like your own, but I think it would be best to change the name within the first year, as they are still young and can relearn their new name. I would think 2 years old would be the latest that a name should be changed, unless the name was similar, or sounded the same, as not to confuse the dog.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have always gone by whether or not the dog knows its name already. If I can call the dog and they recognize I am talking to them, then I will keep their name (unless the dog deserves better, I once adopted a bulldog named "Dog"...literally his name was Dog). If you call them and they have no idea you are talking to them...go on ahead and change it because they don't recognize that name anyway.

That's just how I judge it. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When we got HRH we didn't rename her. She was 3 1/2 and we weren't sure if she would adapt to a new name. And we just couldn't think of a new name we wanted to try. However, with her anyway we have found that she will answer to about anything. I've always called her Baby Girl and Sweetie and Mama's girl, she will respond to all of them for the attention she knows she's going to get when I call her. Bruce just recently got in the habit of calling her Goompa and she comes bounding to him just like she will to Gracie or Sweetie or HRH or anything else. Especially if she smells Banana or sees a treat in it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I adopted Bullie at 3 years old. Her name was Bella. We are anti-Twilight and one look at Bullie's face and Bella just does not fit her. She took to her new name in a day and after a few weeks did not answer to Bella anymore. We adopted Angus at 8 months. His name is perfect for him.

I don't understand how naming a dog differently makes him more "ours". I've always looked at a name as the dog's. Gives him an identity. My dogs carry my last name which make them part of our family. But we don't call them by their last names. Now, there are times when I wished my parents named me differently. Unfortunately, there's too much legaleese to hop through to get my name changed. Good thing changing a dog's name is not as complicated... :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
All 3 of ours we adopted and kept the names. It just made it easier for us to concentrate on getting them used to their new home and family instead of worrying about a new name.....although I'm not a fan of my two females names! Lol

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
When folks asks me about my EBD name and I say "Rocky" they seem to always ask me where's "Bullwinkle" Hmmmmmm :bitching: Guessing they have the wrong theme, and Never seen Rocky through Rocky 10, With adriene hollering "Rockyyyyyyy" !! :chapped:

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
Two of our three rescues we kept their names: Brandi who was six when we got her and Cash who was twelve. Cash was completely deaf and Brandi is close to being deaf, so did it really matter (kind of ironic). But with Daisey, who is a little over two and can actually hear, we changed her name from Devan. There were a lot of reasons to change her name, including her cowering when called, believing she would beat because of the psychological and physical abuse that she suffered from her previous breeder owner.

Last edited:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
I don't think I would change the name.......I figure the baby is already going through so much that calling them by the name they have known would be the least I could do......in saying that I will say this..we are all different in they way we look at things....this is just my way of thinking on this:)

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
We were going to change April to Mable but when we found out her name is because she was born 04-01 it made perfect sense

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have had many rescues right from the streets. Full grown and we had no idea what their names had been. I always wished I had known. To me, it would just make them feel more comfortable and an easier transition. Going through a rehomimg transition is plenty to adapt to...but why throw in a whole new name? Just my opinion.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
When we rescued my Alsation (r.i.p) her name was Kio and we changed it to Kia so it was similar. She was only 9months old though when we rescued her.. And she also responded to her nickbame being called schnookadoodles. I guess it depends on the dog and how they respond to a new name. Some may adapt well some may not x

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
When we got 'Chloe' I couldnt call her that... she just didnt look like a Chloe (all I could think of was '24' and the pretty computer nerd) from the 1st moment we rehomed her, I was like she looks like the Gremlin GIZMO and it stuck she was about 8 months old when we got her.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We changed our rescue bully's name to Joey... her name was Zoey, so it's similar:) We just didn't think she was a "Zoey". I know Joey is more of a male name but it fits her:yes:

I think when rescuing a dog you'll see how he/she reacts to its name, sometimes a dog might have a negative experience connected to its name and then maybe the best thing is to give it a fresh start...

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I was told that Mabel knew her name so we didn't change it. If she knows her name it is news to me. I think she believes her name is "cookie" or "cheese" because those are the only words she responds to! I changed a dog's name at 6 months several years ago. It was our boxer. His previous owners called him Drago. We thought he was more like the John Cleese character from Faulty Towers. Basil was his name from the day we got him. I think dogs are smart enough to be trained to a new name. It just depends on what's in it for them!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online