I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about Changing a Pets name

When we got 'Chloe' I couldnt call her that... she just didnt look like a Chloe (all I could think of was '24' and the pretty computer nerd) from the 1st moment we rehomed her, I was like she looks like the Gremlin GIZMO and it stuck she was about 8 months old when we got her.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

We changed our rescue bully's name to Joey... her name was Zoey, so it's similar We just didn't think she was a "Zoey". I know Joey is more of a male name but it fits her

I think when rescuing a dog you'll see how he/she reacts to its name, sometimes a dog might have a negative experience connected to its name and then maybe the best thing is to give it a fresh start...
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was told that Mabel knew her name so we didn't change it. If she knows her name it is news to me. I think she believes her name is "cookie" or "cheese" because those are the only words she responds to! I changed a dog's name at 6 months several years ago. It was our boxer. His previous owners called him Drago. We thought he was more like the John Cleese character from Faulty Towers. Basil was his name from the day we got him. I think dogs are smart enough to be trained to a new name. It just depends on what's in it for them!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

All my rescues kept their names; most of them were so stressed out when I got them I wanted to focus on other things with them so changing their names was not high on my list of priorities. The biggest majority of them had good strong names anyway and fit with their characters. I rehomed a few and the new parents tried to rename a couple of them but were unsuccessful and ended up keeping the original names. All those recuses were over 2 years old though so maybe it is possible. They were also large scale dogs and that may or may not have made a difference. One of my Great Danes that presently lives with my son is named Lady and we kept her name and just added Hanna to it. We have had her since 2010 but still call her Lady. She was recused at 2 years old so is now 5 years old. Beautiful puppy but loved to catch the cieling fans a little too much and I could not break her of that or clearing the fence in the back (7 foot high and she clears it like it isn't there) so my son lives in an apartment with no cieling fanswalks her on a leash or under voice command and she loves it!!!!! So does he and my grandchildren; we have to pay additional rent for her to live there (LOL) but she is happy and so are we.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads