Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training methods outdated?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training methods outdated?

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/petco-dog-training

Was going to put this in the Training forum but thought more people will see it in the General Bully Talk.

Pls, everyone, read the article. Similar to how we are paranoid about our bully's health, we should also be as vigilant on our training methods ... and the trainers we choose! Absolutely no choking!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 06-05-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

The article made me realize how lucky we were able to find someone who uses the positive training method. We were first time dog owners, so we didn't know anything.

I think we'll stop by the store and look for our trainer .... And give her a big hug for being so wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training method outdated?

I originally read about this very sad story on Facebook. I was very shocked about the whole thing and the way Petco is handling this. Too many times we just assume that dog trainers know everything and would do nothing to harm our pets (at least that's how I used to think). So important to interview the potential trainer and ask for references and recommendations from people we trust.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training method outdated?

This was really hard to read. Especially that it happened to a little Bully. Sad.

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

So very sad but unfortunately I know it happens. It is not a secret that we have problems with Rumble where he jumps up on us when we are sitting on the couch and bites. He never means harm but nevertheless it hurts. I have learned that I have to be careful of who I tell this to, whether it be coworkers or friends, because they will immediately suggest things like a shock collar. I could never do that to Rumble pig and although it is tiring and somedays seems never ending, we are still using postive reinforcement to curb his behavior. One person even told me about sending their dog away for three weeks to a trainer and the dog returned with a shock collar and how when the dog doesn't listen all they have to do is put the collar on and then the dog will behave. I kept thinking the dog only behaves because it is scared. I would never want my dog scared of me or a training device. So despite crazy comments and looks of disbelief we are continuing on the postive reinforcement train...

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Such a sad story, and I'd like to hang that trainer and see how they like it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    would love to help David with the hanging

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training methods outdated?

Haven't read that yet but I wanted to say that the trainers are our local Petco are idiots. Well one specifically and I actually wrote to Petco's Corporate offices when Wilson was young and attending the puppy play groups.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Can I watch?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sarah
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gigi
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training methods outdated?

We were pretty determined to take Gigi to "puppy kindergarten" and puppy training--and it would be at a local PetSmart. I know NOTHING about dog training or dog trainers, except what I've read in books while we're waiting for her to come home with us. What kind of questions could I ask or documentation should a good trainer have? NO ONE in our home would strike or be permitted to strike her under any circumstances, ever. So no outside person is going to be permitted to harm or scare her in any way either, even under the guise of "training." Any advice? That article was heartbreaking.

Bulldog Vet in Training Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

This is such a sad story, but very eye opening at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

Yup lets hang them. Then when their parents or spouse come forward, say it was a prior condition they had. However I don't think stupidity is an actual health condition!!

Poor Sophia Belle what a gorgeous baby bully

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads