Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training methods outdated?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/petco-dog-training

Was going to put this in the Training forum but thought more people will see it in the General Bully Talk.

Pls, everyone, read the article. Similar to how we are paranoid about our bully's health, we should also be as vigilant on our training methods ... and the trainers we choose! Absolutely no choking!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

Last edited:
OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The article made me realize how lucky we were able to find someone who uses the positive training method. We were first time dog owners, so we didn't know anything.

I think we'll stop by the store and look for our trainer .... And give her a big hug for being so wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2 :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Re: Article from Dogster.com - Are Petco's dog training method outdated?

I originally read about this very sad story on Facebook. I was very shocked about the whole thing and the way Petco is handling this. Too many times we just assume that dog trainers know everything and would do nothing to harm our pets (at least that's how I used to think). So important to interview the potential trainer and ask for references and recommendations from people we trust.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

This was really hard to read. Especially that it happened to a little Bully. Sad.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble

So very sad but unfortunately I know it happens. It is not a secret that we have problems with Rumble where he jumps up on us when we are sitting on the couch and bites. He never means harm but nevertheless it hurts. I have learned that I have to be careful of who I tell this to, whether it be coworkers or friends, because they will immediately suggest things like a shock collar. I could never do that to Rumble pig and although it is tiring and somedays seems never ending, we are still using postive reinforcement to curb his behavior. One person even told me about sending their dog away for three weeks to a trainer and the dog returned with a shock collar and how when the dog doesn't listen all they have to do is put the collar on and then the dog will behave. I kept thinking the dog only behaves because it is scared. I would never want my dog scared of me or a training device. So despite crazy comments and looks of disbelief we are continuing on the postive reinforcement train...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

Such a sad story, and I'd like to hang that trainer and see how they like it.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde

would love to help David with the hanging :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Haven't read that yet but I wanted to say that the trainers are our local Petco are idiots. Well one specifically and I actually wrote to Petco's Corporate offices when Wilson was young and attending the puppy play groups.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Can I watch? :popcorn:

SarahD

May 13, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gigi
We were pretty determined to take Gigi to "puppy kindergarten" and puppy training--and it would be at a local PetSmart. I know NOTHING about dog training or dog trainers, except what I've read in books while we're waiting for her to come home with us. What kind of questions could I ask or documentation should a good trainer have? NO ONE in our home would strike or be permitted to strike her under any circumstances, ever. So no outside person is going to be permitted to harm or scare her in any way either, even under the guise of "training." Any advice? That article was heartbreaking.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby

Yup lets hang them. Then when their parents or spouse come forward, say it was a prior condition they had. However I don't think stupidity is an actual health condition!!

Poor Sophia Belle what a gorgeous baby bully

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No words... emailed the article to everyone I know. Hope they pass it on. When Blue was in puppy class, it was obvious the trainer (who uses positive reinforcement) did not like bulldogs. Aside from that, the sessions were held in her home, in her living room without any windows, door closed. There was a ceiling fan that wasn't even on. Blue would start panting 15 minutes into the class. I mentioned it was warm once and she said she felt fine. Anyway, we only went to a few classes and stopped. So make sure you know what environment the classes are held in as well. Never, EVER thought to ask something like that, now I know.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I have watched some of the training sessions here in Sierra Vista and I wasn't impressed at all. I may take me a little longer to get my girls to learn something (not because they are slow but because I am lazy at times, lol) but in the end they learn the task over time and we are all happy in the process. That bully was beautiful, so sad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.