Any Rehome advice ...

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I've only rehomed one other dog before. That was one of my cockers which was a retired show/never bred girl. That transition went well and actually I had about a week to prepare for the arrival .

Do you guys have any advice on dogs that you've transitioned into your home as rehomes?

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
I've been in rescue for the past 10 years, so I've been a part of MANY rehomes. A lot of people out there advise you to take DAYSSSSSSS before actually introducing your pets, but I've always introduced them in a fenced back yard- keeping the new dog on a leash. I would recommend being very vigilant with feedings for the first couple of weeks- just to make sure there isn't any food aggression issues. Also, are you going to crate while you're gone? Mine are kept in the kitchen/eat-in area by dog gates while we're not home- and I have to make sure there aren't any toys or food that they might fight over.
You might also want to get a blanket or toy from his original family, so he will have a comfortable scent his first few days in your home. I recently brought home a 2.5 year old EBD, and he seemed to transition without any troubles, almost immediately!! :)

Are there any specific questions that you have? I only gave you my personal opinion, and what has worked best for me over the years. The less stress you have, the less stress the dogs will have.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have rescued many dogs..all adults.with the only notice being a phone call fom my hubby..saying.."But, I can't leave it here!" :eek: They have come into a home with cats, other dogs, rabbits and kids. It has never ever been that difficult. If you are relaxed and comfortable, Rocky will be too. Just allow for hs confusion and be ready with the love. He will find his place and I bet in no time you both will feel like it was ment to be. If you have other dogs, we have always kept the new guy on a leash while everyone gets to know him. A crate in the middle of it all works surprisingly well. He will get the once over without feeling frightened and the other fur kids get it out of their system. This especially works with cats in the house. I love walking them around the yard and neighborhood too..but usually wait until they feel safe with us humans.

OP
R

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
He will be crated when we are not home. He is used to being in a bathroom secured by baby gate and uses potty pads. I do worry about him transitioning to this method.

Good idea about the blanket/toy. They will probably be open to that.

I don't have any pets on my home but there will be two dogs he will see fairly regularly. So just curious, when I should introduce them.

With my daughter (10), is there anything I should prepare her for . Will she be able to take him out for potty solo or should I wait a few months before letting her?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He will be crated when we are not home. He is used to being in a bathroom secured by baby gate and uses potty pads. I do worry about him transitioning to this method.

I don't have any pets on my home but there will be two dogs he will see fairly regularly. So just curious, when I should introduce them.

With my daughter (10), is there anything I should prepare her for . Will she be able to take him out for potty solo or should I wait a few months before letting her?

I would give him a week or so to adapt before meeting new friends. And as far as your daughter taking him out to potty..I would make sure she's involved from the start. You want him bonding with him. But..I would be there too. Maybe you can do a slow transition to a crate. Maybe just an Xpen with a small area gated off. When you leave him do for short periods of time .. gradually lengthening. I know adults can be successfully crate trained so if that's what you prefer, he will do fine.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise above. I'm glad you are crating him when you are gone. It's the safest place for him. As far as your daughter is concerned I would just see how she does with him when she takes him out to potty, she may do well with him. Just watch her for a little while. Since you do not have another dog at home he should do quite well. When he meets the other dogs, let him meet them on neutral ground at first to see how they do. Plus remember, we need pics. :2thumbs:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Great advice! As for your daughter, I would have her take part in feeding him as well. It will show him that she is equal to you in the pack order. ;) and yes we NEED pics!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

Definitely like Becky said you want your daughter to be involved from the start. However you have to gauge how big Rambo is to how big/small she is. He is still virtually a puppy, and may be too strong for her until you get some boundaries and routine set

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Rachael, there's definitely 3 kinds of rehoming situations that come to my mind right off, and each brings different approaches. The first is an abused and mistreated, the second is a homeless bully, and then theres the one your rehoming…. He comes from a loving family he's bonded with to your unfamiliar family, He will come with plenty of Love, a little short on trust yet, transitioning his food is very important since he will go through a period of grieving his former human family. If at all possible, get his bag of food, Match it exactly, This will be a big thing, Some of his old toys to keep a familiar scent, even if ragged and ready for the garbage, you can transition them out in time, problem is getting what he is use to, because he's fixing to go through many changes, you definitely want to keep as much as possible familiar to him. Getting Rambo steady on his diet is a "BIG" accomplishment after the transition. You and your daughter will have to earn his trust, and that is done through time, love, consistency, and patience, of course hand feeding whenever possible is a great way to cheat…. Keep and maintain open communication with the previous owner, you won't believe the things you will want to ask, and need to know the answer too !! Research Vets in your area, all will be glad to take your money and can treat the simple stuff, but a Bully Vet is priceless, and a lot of vets like to tell you they have a bully clientele, but in fact just see Bullys as money pitts…. A true Bully Vet will know what to look for, know the experiences of Bully's, and works to promote better health within the breed. The next thing I want to mention is Childproofing your home, (Bullyproof) anything that he can get to to chew, consider it a challenge to him, I've noticed with Rocky if I get distracted to the TV, or my Laptop and not focusing on him, He's going to chew something up, even though he has his chew tows, he's still a Bully Goat, in chewing up things he has no business with. These are just the first few things that come to mind, Hope this helps you and Rambo in your transition.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice above. I just wanted to add how excited I am for you! :happydance:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)