Thanks for the Nylabone Recommendation!

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky / Chunk / Chunky Butt
So happy I picked up a Nylabone today for my Hunky Chunky- he is LOVING it!!!! Thanks to all that recommended it- I've also got 2 Kong toys on order to be delivered this week! :D

Chunk2.jpg

Kimmy

Jun 1, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hurley Who MaGoo
Nylabones Rock !!! Chunk looks so happy :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
You can never go wrong with Nylabones, they last awhile and all 3 of my guys always enjoy them! Chunk is so adorable and looks so happy with his new toy! :)

OP
xtina615

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! He is a MESS! He has started to exhibit some signs of aggression when food or a favorite toy is present, and it breaks my heart to have my other 2 dogs exposed to his behavior (they're totally not use to a hostile environment). I'm hoping (praying) that when he is neutered, that might help to calm things down a bit. I understand getting excited over food, lol, but that behavior is just not acceptable. Unfortunately, I've had to strip all of his toys from him for the rest of the day. As long as he doesn't have either of those things, he's a great dog!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone! He is a MESS! He has started to exhibit some signs of aggression when food or a favorite toy is present, and it breaks my heart to have my other 2 dogs exposed to his behavior (they're totally not use to a hostile environment). I'm hoping (praying) that when he is neutered, that might help to calm things down a bit. I understand getting excited over food, lol, but that behavior is just not acceptable. Unfortunately, I've had to strip all of his toys from him for the rest of the day. As long as he doesn't have either of those things, he's a great dog!

And, none of this behavior was apparent before? How long has he been with you?

OP
xtina615

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
And, none of this behavior was apparent before? How long has he been with you?

We've only had him for 2 weeks (this thursday).....and it's just been recently that he's started exhibiting this behavior. His previous owners told me he had no aggression issues.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We've only had him for 2 weeks (this thursday).....and it's just been recently that he's started exhibiting this behavior. His previous owners told me he had no aggression issues.

I'd be willing to bet he was like this before. Sadly, previous owners aren't always totally honest. It will make it a bit tougher for you to get this under control..but as you already know, it's unacceptable. You need to establish yourself as his leader. Little things mean a lot. You go first ..he follows. Handfeed him his kibble. Make him think his survival depends totally on you. His toys are YOUR toys. In fact, he owns nothing. Once you establish this..he will accept it. Don't give an inch...be consistent and he will be ok..I will tag a few others who might remember things I forgot.
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
xtina615

xtina615

May 31, 2013
Nashville, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd be willing to bet he was like this before. Sadly, previous owners aren't always totally honest. It will make it a bit tougher for you to get this under control..but as you already know, it's unacceptable. You need to establish yourself as his leader. Little things mean a lot. You go first ..he follows. Handfeed him his kibble. Make him think his survival depends totally on you. His toys are YOUR toys. In fact, he owns nothing. Once you establish this..he will accept it. Don't give an inch...be consistent and he will be ok..I will tag a few others who might remember things I forgot.
@cali~jenn.. @Vicaroo1000.. @Davidh... @2BullyMama

Thank you!!! I'm with you- I'm sure his previous owners knew, but they didn't want it to deter someone from taking their dog. His previous family kept him outside predominantly, had 5 children under the age of 6, and lived in a tiny house. So, I think he's been neglected, basically, for the past year. I will follow your tips. My husband seems to be the "pushover" out of the 2 of us, so I'm going to need to work on him, too!! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You are doing the right thing and taking the toys away from him whenever he acts like that. Wait for awhile and give it back and if he gets aggressive with it again, take it away again. We did this with Diva when she would do that. Sometimes she would even growl at us if we tried to take one away from her and I would grab her by the back of the neck, tell her "NO" and then took it away. It didn't take long and she figured out that was not the thing to do.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Sounds like your hand r full alright. Miila acted out pretty bad when we got her too. No idea what she came from really but I assume that was why the previous owners gave her back to the breeder. She just needed direction. For toys I had her sit/stay with me by her. Give a toy to your other pups and not let her have any. If he moves, redirect him and have him remain in position. Once the other pups r done with the toys then you can hand him one. Then take it away as you wish and basically just keep reminding him you r in charge. All while he is calm and sit/stay mode. Seemed to help us a lot but we also hand fed her and fed her LAST. I would have him sit/stay and watch the other 2 eat while he can just drool over his bowl. Once the other 2 have finished then I would proceed to hand feed him, 1 handful at a time. Gives you a great chance to work on basic training since he needs to be working for each handful he eats from your hand. Do it slowly enough that you feel bad teasing him cuz he needs to know you r in charge. Seems to have helped with many here. I had heard of it but never really understood it until having to use it with miila. Anytime she tries to act up I go back to hand feeding for a day or 2 and she is right back in line. You do have to be very consistent and constantly on top of everything or it won't work.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

OK... previous owners are not always trust worthy with information. Sounds like he has gotten comfy in the new home ... look up 'Nothing In Life Is Free' (NILIF) on line.... it is a great training tool that will get him in line and make sure ever one in the house is on the same page with the training.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OK... previous owners are not always trust worthy with information. Sounds like he has gotten comfy in the new home ... look up 'Nothing In Life Is Free' (NILIF) on line.... it is a great training tool that will get him in line and make sure ever one in the house is on the same page with the training.

Possession and food aggression is serious and, if not dealt with, will start to effect the rest of your pack. Not saying that the other dogs will sign up and start acting like him; just saying that this kind of unbalanced energy isn't good for your pack - human and canine. The NILF thing that's been suggested really is the way to go with this --- and it's success depends on you and your husband's commitment to his rehabilitation.

Dogs like this end up in rescue because of sheer desperation from the owners. You cannot be afraid of your own dog. Your next plan of action could save his life in the long term, actually.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Nylabones are fantastic and they come in so many sizes and shapes now. Looks at the Kong toys too. They love those in my house.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.