Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Bea can eject green beans in the same way. Like a Gatling gun. Hee Hee.

Sargento Cheddar Mozzarella sticks work best for us. I've tried them all and these are what I go back to every time. They're soft enough to hide the pill in SUPER GOOD and they're obviously so delicious, there's no pill ejection! Just down the hatch!

Ice cream is another good way to go -- just messy.

The first time I tried Yoghurt with Rocky was interesting, I had just got him, His tummy was all upset, one for being in a new home and Two for grieving his previous Parents, He wouldn't eat, So I tucked the tummy pills from my vet in yoghurt, I figured it would calm his tummy as well as hide the pills, My mistake was I was in my living room where he was playing, I have Royal Blue carpet as you've seen on the videos I've posted, and I kid you not, I've never seen anything like it, a spoonful in, 5 spoonfuls out, Foam, Yoghurt, pills, and he shook his big ole head, and gave me the biggest stink eye yet !! I had an upset Bully, a Messed Up Carpet, a dirty look from HELL !! and only accomplished more work for myself. My Vet has no mercy on me, He's good at giving me medicine for Rock, but everything is in pill form, and Rocky a'int going there…. I'm thinking paper plate and hammer, and dusting some can food, I mean Really…..This kid hates pills worse than I hate rectal exams…. Give me a Break !!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I'm no help here as my guys just swallow their pills when I place them in the back of their throat and then stroke their neck , they swallow them no problem. You got a lot of really good ideas above though, and ice cream seems like it would be a good and yummy way of hiding his pills. I'm sitting here totally laughing though as I picture him spitting out his pills. Too funny

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
crush the pill, add to yoghurt and honey. works like a charm.

now if you can tell me how to get drops into a bullies eye when he flat refuses to open them, i'd be eternally grateful :D

This is what I was going to suggest as well. you can crush them by hand with a spoon or something or get a pill crusher they are really inexpensive and crush the pill into powder. Then you can mix with something you know they will like as you suggested yogurt and/or honey or peanut butter or even some ice cream. We have for our dogs this way. Also, and we do this at times too depending on the medication, just stick it in their mouth far back on the tongue and close their mouth and hold till they swallow.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Well as we all so well know these bulldogs are so laid back and docile that you can do anything to them and they won't mind a bit. Yes you can shampoo, clean their faces, doctor their faces, trim their nails, and its all so easy with a bulldog because they are so laid back, calm and docile. Just amazing dog breed to have if you don't like a lot of fuss and commotion.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Update:
Yesterday's benedryl went down lickity split inside big chunks of watermelon. First time I've tried that -- but I was out of cheese sticks. Maybe it's that it's so juicy, I don't think they have time to think about what's going on in their mouths.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
This is what I was going to suggest as well. you can crush them by hand with a spoon or something or get a pill crusher they are really inexpensive and crush the pill into powder. Then you can mix with something you know they will like as you suggested yogurt and/or honey or peanut butter or even some ice cream. We have for our dogs this way. Also, and we do this at times too depending on the medication, just stick it in their mouth far back on the tongue and close their mouth and hold till they swallow.

I see now you have already tried the pill in mouth till swallowing thing with no success so maybe the pill crusher with something he likes, that you can stir up in the stuff real good to hide the smell and taste as much as possible. We have done this with good success. Maybe try some honey or pnut butter or a small bit of ice cream, and give them a nice taste without the medication in it and then covertly when Rocky isn't watching mix the meds in the good stuff. Then call him cheerfully like you got some more of that special stuff for your good guy and lay it on him

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rocky and I sorta/kinda have a dissagreement over his medicines, I'm sure it doesn't taste very good, but he woofs everything down except any type of pills. The other day, I had to give him 4 bayer size aspirin pills for the Tape worms, because of his weight, They gave me (4) well every time I eat, he's always laying right by my feet in observance of the 2 second rule, anything hits the floor, 2 seconds later you'll never find it.... So anyway, I use cheese this time, cheese slices to be exact, and i break a slice in half, tuck his pill in it, and after having his full undivided attention, he woofs it down, and just about the time I'm happy to have gotten the one down, Rocky does this amazing thing, he puts his upper and lower lips together as if he was going to whistle a tune, and literally SPITS the pill about 3 feet away from him, as if to tell me, go find it !! I went through several pieces of cheese, getting this stink eye look from Rocky, and him spitting the pills at me, Finally I get enough of this treatment, and in a last ditch effort, I drop the 4 pills at the back of his toungue, in a full battle to hold him still, get the pills in there, then stroke his throat, all the while telling him how much better he is going to feel, In the end, about 15 minutes later, he walks up to me, looks at me, then barfs the pills back out in liquid form!! Now 4 of these pills are about $40.00 Bucks, It's not the money to me as much as letting him win, He's not real crazy about peanut butter, he's a very picky eater, so sprinkling this pill dust over his food is a hit and miss, I would figure half of it would be in the bottom of his stainless steel bowl. There has to be a better way, other than surgically implanting them into Rocky, I'm at a loss!! and even though he woofs his food down, HE WILL FIND THOSE PILLS AND GIVE YOU THE STINK EYE !! How do y'all do this..... I've never delt with a kid this particular before!!

In the 8+ years I have had a bulldog in my home.... never fail pill giver/hider.... Vanilla Ice Cream! Just about a tablespoon does the trick

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I've tried Yogurt, That's a mess to clean up, he seems to get the Yoga part, but sends me on hands and knees looking for the pill, Very distinct noise he makes when spitting, Not only was he a clown in his former life, he must have chewed tobacco.... I'm convinced !!

OMG! !! I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING. Im afraid to keep reading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I've never delt with a kid this particular before!!

Yikes!! I will be honest, giving Remi a pill has never been that hard, but there is only one kind of food I can give him with the pill inside or he will also spit it out. (Granted, he doesn't quite spit it out with as much disdain hahahah)

I take a piece of bread, and break it into eights or quarters (depending on the size of the pill) and I fold the pill inside the bread until it's all doughy and a small wad. I make him sit just like I would if it were a treat, and he swallows the thing hole.

Unfortunately you'll probably have to do this 2-4 times, but good luck - let me know how it goes.

Remi typically eats grain free, but he doesn't appear to have an upset stomach with these small pieces.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Well as we all so well know these bulldogs are so laid back and docile that you can do anything to them and they won't mind a bit. Yes you can shampoo, clean their faces, doctor their faces, trim their nails, and its all so easy with a bulldog because they are so laid back, calm and docile. Just amazing dog breed to have if you don't like a lot of fuss and commotion.

Seriously?! ha ha ha. Remi must have missed the memo.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
crush the pill, add to yoghurt and honey. works like a charm.

now if you can tell me how to get drops into a bullies eye when he flat refuses to open them, i'd be eternally grateful :D

Too funny. I always bribe Remi with his favorite treat - I make him come over to me and while I"m sitting on the floor, I wrap my legs around him and feed him treats at each stage of the face cleaning/medicating. It's getting harder to do that - I hope he doesn't grow much wider!!

But, i imagine you could keep him still like this while someone dangles his treat above his head. His eyes should be up and open. Technically speaking.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just catching up here. I've been pretty lucky, all my guys, up until Sally, have always eaten up whatever I put a pill into....well maybe not Wilson so much. Peanut Butter works like a charm in our house. Sally won't eat anything other than her kibble with some wet food and she's slowly starting to like peanut butter. Can't say I ever thought of vanilla ice cream either.

Have you been able to try the ice cream yet?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Seriously?! ha ha ha. Remi must have missed the memo.

Of course I was kidding. That's the sort of breed information one might read on a generic non breed specific web site that is providing information and characteristics of various dog breeds. Obviously they don't have bulldogs

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.