Need a little advice.....

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Maybe the cheese sticks, like string cheese.... The liverworst or something like that might hide the scent of medication, somehow he looks at me like "Feed me, Feed me" I give him something with the pill in it, and he spits it out, gives me this stink eye, like "This ain't food".... then he gets to really evaluating everything after he finds just one.

Crunchy peanut butter. Crush the pill and mix it in. First, he can't spit the peanut butter out and second he won't be able to tell the pill pieces from the peanut pieces. Of course, you could do it the way the doctor does. Open his mouth, stick the pill as far back into is as possible, hold the mouth shut while massaging his throat to make him swallow. the vet should sell a plastic thing that holds the pill until you release it in his throat. It's often used with cats but can be used with dogs as well

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Crunchy peanut butter. Crush the pill and mix it in. First, he can't spit the peanut butter out and second he won't be able to tell the pill pieces from the peanut pieces. Of course, you could do it the way the doctor does. Open his mouth, stick the pill as far back into is as possible, hold the mouth shut while massaging his throat to make him swallow. the vet should sell a plastic thing that holds the pill until you release it in his throat. It's often used with cats but can be used with dogs as well
I tried putting the pills in at the back of his tongue, closing his mouth and messaging his throat, sucessfully, he doesn't have much of a snout to hold closed until he swallows, and he's a struggler, My problem with this is 15-20 minutes later he throws up... In the Peanut butter category, last time I gave him Peanut Butter, he didn't care for it very much, of course his tummy was very messed up with an upset stomach, and thats why he was getting the medicine to begin with... If he would eat crunch peanut butter I'd have it made, how do you turn the pill into powder form is my question, without loosing some of the ingrediaence or loosing some of the medicine in it by trying to put it in something?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Maybe the cheese sticks, like string cheese.... The liverworst or something like that might hide the scent of medication, somehow he looks at me like "Feed me, Feed me" I give him something with the pill in it, and he spits it out, gives me this stink eye, like "This ain't food".... then he gets to really evaluating everything after he finds just one.

Mine did that tonight when I tried to give him his flea pill he ate the cheese around the pill and spit the pills back out! LOL it took me forever next time I'll try the once cream :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
I tried putting the pills in at the back of his tongue, closing his mouth and messaging his throat, sucessfully, he doesn't have much of a snout to hold closed until he swallows, and he's a struggler, My problem with this is 15-20 minutes later he throws up... In the Peanut butter category, last time I gave him Peanut Butter, he didn't care for it very much, of course his tummy was very messed up with an upset stomach, and thats why he was getting the medicine to begin with... If he would eat crunch peanut butter I'd have it made, how do you turn the pill into powder form is my question, without loosing some of the ingrediaence or loosing some of the medicine in it by trying to put it in something?

I use a small mortar and pestal but you could use a paper plate and a hammer. You wipe the peanut butter onto the roof of his mouth. then he has to eat it to get it out, plus it's really funny to watch. I use the fresh ground stuff my grocery store (Publix) sells in the deli dept.

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
crush the pill, add to yoghurt and honey. works like a charm.now if you can tell me how to get drops into a bullies eye when he flat refuses to open them, i'd be eternally grateful :D
I got this..... Thumb and Index finger, above and below the eye works like a charm..... But please don't ask me how your going to make him be still long enough for you to do that Angie, I can tell you right now, I show Rocky a warm wash cloth and if he even thinks he's going to get his face washed, It's on like DONKEY KONG !!! He wil run and hide, hide behind lamps, and while I'm trying to catch them before they hit the ground, he's gone again, corner him up in a hallway, and he's going to charge me including knocking me down, If I try to sit on him, he's like Bull Riding, and he ain't playing and neither am I, we have knock down drag out fights, and wrestling matches over a face washing, and it happens every day, and he hasn't learned yet, that I'm consistant, persistant, and it's going to get done.... My daughter thinks it's the funniest thing she's ever seen.... He puts on a real show at me cleaning his face, and wiping his wrinkles.... so if your bully is anything like mine, then I've answered your question, just ask someone else how to make him be still and I will take notes too !!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Nope...the finger and thumb thing dont work. My boy closes his eye tight the second he thinks someone needs to look at it ROFL. These past 4 weeks of 2 hrly drops have been very arduous.I'm rolling laughing at the mental picture of you playing Tag with a Bully, face cloth firmly in hand :ROFL:I think its ok that I giggle...cos I have the same game of chase evryday with these two. Then for some reason Lucy will flop on her belly with the idea in her head that if she is down I cant get her face :ROFL: It majorly cute :love:
An English Bull Dog doesn't have a snout to grasp onto to help you with leverage, If the Thumb and Index finger trick won't work, How about putting all your resources into pulling down on her lower eye lid with one hand, trying to get a drop between her eyeball and lower eye lid ?? Thinking her top eye lid will only come down so far, So if you can pull down far enough on the lower eye lid, you may be able to squeeze drops in their..... Just an idea, I can't stand to put drops in my eyes either, so just trying to reason this out, is like playing are you smarter than a fith grader.....Whats really funny, is when Rocky runs sideways, with his butt closest to me and his face away from me, I'm not sure if he really thinks that will work, or if he's suggesting I kiss his Arse....... NOT SURE !!! But chasing after my daughter when she was a toddler either seemed a lot easier, or I was just a lot younger at the time.... Rocky's a challenge....

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I havent tried any fruit yet, But its definitely an option, I know he doesn't like green beans, even frozen, he will spit those out like a toddler as well.

HRH will spit out frozen green beans just like Rocky. But she loves fresh cooked green beans.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Boeboe is the same, but she is in general very careful with what she eats and always sniffs it first just to be sure it's eatable. Unlike my other two who would eat anything you give them:blink: So it's a mission for me as well when a pill has to be given:crazy: I can't under ANY circumstances let her suspect there is a pill in the treat, I have to prepare some smelly food that will cover the smell from the pill. After putting the pill in my hands have to be cleaned and cleaned again so she wont be suspicious. Also I give here a couple of pieces that doesn't contain a pill before I sneak the one with the pill in:tongue: and RIGHT after she got the one with the pill I give another nice tasty treat so she'll swallow the pill fast to get the new piece, lol. They sure can make one crazy sometimes:)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
HRH will spit out frozen green beans just like Rocky. But she loves fresh cooked green beans.
You know Laura, I'm going to have to do more experimenting with Rocky's diet, He gets Kibble and I give him treats all the time, But under no circumstance do I want to have a house full of company, and Rocky knocking children over for their plates of food, like on the Holidays and the Dinning room is full, and you put children at a small table out to the side or something. But I need to start figuring out other treats and stuff to give him, I read a while ago, someone was feeding their Bully baby carrots, and their Bully was loving them, How awesome is that ?!?!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh ive had this problem with sarah. sometimes she will take her pill in her canned food from my fingers and sometimes she wont. i find if she is hungry she is more likely to eat them in whatever i have them in than when she is full. i have also put them in canned food in with her other food and she eats them. now i have had her spit them out right in front of me at my feet so i know where your coming from there. the best thing ive used is peanut butter and she dont want to eat it either but if you put it in her mouth its so sticky that she has no choice but to swallow the pills and cant separate them to spit them back out. good luck :)

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
My Boeboe is the same, but she is in general very careful with what she eats and always sniffs it first just to be sure it's eatable. Unlike my other two who would eat anything you give them:blink: So it's a mission for me as well when a pill has to be given:crazy: I can't under ANY circumstances let her suspect there is a pill in the treat, I have to prepare some smelly food that will cover the smell from the pill. After putting the pill in my hands have to be cleaned and cleaned again so she wont be suspicious. Also I give here a couple of pieces that doesn't contain a pill before I sneak the one with the pill in:tongue: and RIGHT after she got the one with the pill I give another nice tasty treat so she'll swallow the pill fast to get the new piece, lol. They sure can make one crazy sometimes:)
Petra, I'm starting to think Rocky is smarter than i'm giving him credit for being.... If I feed him out of his bowl, he gobbles his kibble up, But on the rare occaision I feed him from hand, he knows to check for the pill... But I cant stand it when he gives me the Stink Eye and spits the Pill 3 foot out of his mouth, and looks at me like I'm crazy for trying !! I mean he really has the inside track somehow that medicine is involved, gently chew and then spit it out for Dad.... and on rare occaision he woofs it down, then he throws up and then looks at me like Nice Try Dad !! That's what led to this question, I've got to get smarter at out whitting Rocky..... I can't stand him getting the best of me.... It's a challenge now !!!

OP
Casper

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
oh ive had this problem with sarah. sometimes she will take her pill in her canned food from my fingers and sometimes she wont. i find if she is hungry she is more likely to eat them in whatever i have them in than when she is full. i have also put them in canned food in with her other food and she eats them. now i have had her spit them out right in front of me at my feet so i know where your coming from there. the best thing ive used is peanut butter and she dont want to eat it either but if you put it in her mouth its so sticky that she has no choice but to swallow the pills and cant separate them to spit them back out. good luck :)
Sandra, thats exactly the answer I needed, See Rocky isn't big on Peanut Butter either, but by sticking it to the roof of his mouth, He isn't able to spit that out, I was misunderstanding a while ago, I knew if I dipped my finger in peanut butter and held it out for Rocky, he would walk away from it, But inserting it in the roof of his mouth, and making him deal with it is Exactly what i need to do..... I've never seen a Pet, put his lips together like he was whistling a tune, and out shoots a pill before.... This furkid amazes me with his Antics...... I'll let you know how it goes later this morning !! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Haha [MENTION=8699]GoldenRod[/MENTION] good luck with the challenge:2thumbs: it took me two years to figure out how to get my girl to eat her pills and she still outsmarts me sometimes:ashamed: They are definitely smarter than we think, and that works in their advantage, lol.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea can eject green beans in the same way. Like a Gatling gun. Hee Hee.

Sargento Cheddar Mozzarella sticks work best for us. I've tried them all and these are what I go back to every time. They're soft enough to hide the pill in SUPER GOOD and they're obviously so delicious, there's no pill ejection! Just down the hatch!

Ice cream is another good way to go -- just messy.

luvnmymedic

May 31, 2013
Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Seven - RIP I love you
Seven is on three pills right now. After reading yalls stories of pill taking horrors, I am so thankful that he loves peanut butter. I give him natural peanut butter that I give my kids. It doesn't have all those chemicals in it. He eats it right off the spoon and looks for more.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.